I love it.
i sense sarcasm in that reply!
Old 07-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #23
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

yeah, vista has so many bugs, i know a bunch of people who have downgraded to XP just because they couldn't take vista's crap any more.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #24
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BlackBerry Kid View Post
yeah, vista has so many bugs, i know a bunch of people who have downgraded to XP just because they couldn't take vista's crap any more.
design flaws are not bugs :P
Old 07-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #25
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Once the bugs acheive seniority, they'll be features.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #26
betterlate1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 20F3519A
Carrier: Non-Smoking AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
dunno i spent 3 hrs getting this vista book to see my local network, i got it to finally see 2 xp boxes, still dose not see my linux boxes...

i wont even get into this whole, import outlook to outlook express, export, import to windows mail in vista, my god, a root canal would be quicker/simpler then this pos thing.

edit: i still have not gotten the last solution working!

2nd edit: how do you turn this pos allow/deny crap off, whos the moron behind this, honestly, if i started the bloody file, why would i deny it!
cursor on the file>>right click>>properties>>security>>edit>>highlight your profile>>check all the boxes under allow>>apply>>ok
Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #27
betterlate1

To all who oppose Vista...look out...its going to take over soon...do yourself a favor and learn it along with umbunto and leopard...just a heads up. Cross pollination(sp) is going to happen also. Multiple manufacturers modules within one OS. All controlled by the core of Vista.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #28
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlate1 View Post
To all who oppose Vista...look out...its going to take over soon...do yourself a favor and learn it along with umbunto and leopard...just a heads up. Cross pollination(sp) is going to happen also. Multiple manufacturers modules within one OS. All controlled by the core of Vista.
Core of Vista? Is that like a pimple?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #29
wabbit

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterlate1
Quote:
dunno i spent 3 hrs getting this vista book to see my local network, i got it to finally see 2 xp boxes, still dose not see my linux boxes...

i wont even get into this whole, import outlook to outlook express, export, import to windows mail in vista, my god, a root canal would be quicker/simpler then this pos thing.

edit: i still have not gotten the last solution working!

2nd edit: how do you turn this pos allow/deny crap off, whos the moron behind this, honestly, if i started the bloody file, why would i deny it!
cursor on the file>>right click>>properties>>security>>edit>>highlight your profile>>check all the boxes under allow>>apply>>ok
So wait you can't turn this allow deny completely off? Or get rid of it?
Old 07-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #30
betterlate1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Core of Vista? Is that like a pimple?
LOL I love this forum! I better get out of here before someone starts thinking I work for Microsoft(R)
Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #31
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

No need to fret... Windows 7 is on the horizon.

Windows 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My next new computer is gonna be a Mac and I will get Parallels or VMware Fusion to run Windoze on it for things that can only be done on Windoze.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #32
wabbit

i really wish more people would move to linux then mac osx(garbage) or microsoft (next pos os) kinda stinks were are stuck in a world lead by blind masses and they get appealed too. oh well :(
Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #33
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I've played with Linux -- I think moving to Linux is a great idea. But one of the companies I work for has online apps that only work on Windoze unfortunately.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:30 PM   #34
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I've played with Linux -- I think moving to Linux is a great idea. But one of the companies I work for has online apps that only work on Windoze unfortunately.
i think that is most peoples problem leaving windows, their is a aspect in their job or their usage where windows is needed, even for games you need windows. only if software mfg would actually recognize other os'es and start tailoring to them.

one can dream.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:55 PM   #35
sgtcasey

Model: 8320

I used to say a lot of the same things about Vista. When I ordered a new Dell to replace the almost 5-year old PC my only OS choices were Vista or XP Media Center. I decided to give Vista a shot since I was buying the hardware that would be able to run it nicely. I even told my wife, "I'll give Vista a week before I install XP."

Long story short I'm convinced Vista is a great OS. It's more stable than XP, recovers from problems in a more controlled manner than XP, and runs all the stuff I need it to run without any problems. What might cause a blue screen error in XP merely does a "so-and-so stopped working so I restarted it" in Vista.

Sure, it does things a little different than XP, but you quickly learn to adjust. I always laugh at the folks who complain about the UAC stuff. I recall various flavors of Linux doing much the same thing (requesting admin password/access when doing something you don't have rights to do). I saw the UAC window a couple times today all when I was installing new software or running the command line window as admin.

I'm sure you can see all kinds of threads about XP in old forum threads back when it first came out.

Dave
Old 07-21-2008, 12:30 AM   #36
wabbit

Wirelessly posted

Windows vista and xp sp3 should of fixed basic networking. Yet if I change the dchp starting ip I get no local networking.

As for uaw only linux dist that does that is ubuntu sine it has no root acct.
Now I know I'm not retarded. When I flag the workgroup set it private and connect through the same router I should see my network. Yet vista is incapable of the easiest tasks.

As for uaw its the dumbest thing ever. If you double click something it pops up yet hello I want to run said app. Its nothing comparable to linux.
Here's a better one why does vista throttle tcpip traffic only os to date to this.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #37
sgtcasey

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Windows vista and xp sp3 should of fixed basic networking. Yet if I change the dchp starting ip I get no local networking.
Change the DHCP starting IP? I've had no issues using DHCP on my home network with Vista. Or XP.

What do you mean by change the DHCP starting IP? You get an IP then change it?

Quote:
As for uaw only linux dist that does that is ubuntu sine it has no root acct.
Now I know I'm not retarded. When I flag the workgroup set it private and connect through the same router I should see my network. Yet vista is incapable of the easiest tasks.
I've seen this on other Linux dist's long before Ubuntu came along.

Quote:
As for uaw its the dumbest thing ever. If you double click something it pops up yet hello I want to run said app. Its nothing comparable to linux.
So turn it off. Problem solved!

Quote:
Here's a better one why does vista throttle tcpip traffic only os to date to this.
I've yet to experience this and never heard of it before. Got any other details?

Dave
Old 07-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #38
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
Change the DHCP starting IP? I've had no issues using DHCP on my home network with Vista. Or XP.

What do you mean by change the DHCP starting IP? You get an IP then change it?
no i changed in my router what ip range i use, when dhcp starts giving out ip at, i went from a 10.0.0.1 to a 192.168.0.175 range and vista lost my whole network, redoing the network vista could not see my local network.
Quote:
I've seen this on other Linux dist's long before Ubuntu came along.
i'm guessing other dist using gnome, only reason i said ubuntu is its the only dist that does not have a root acct which you get a prompt to for a root password.
Quote:
So turn it off. Problem solved!
cant turn it off without getting the world most anonying popup box your system is at risk.
Quote:
I've yet to experience this and never heard of it before. Got any other details?

Dave
p2p
Old 07-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #39
sgtcasey

Quote:
no i changed in my router what ip range i use, when dhcp starts giving out ip at, i went from a 10.0.0.1 to a 192.168.0.175 range and vista lost my whole network, redoing the network vista could not see my local network.
So your Vista PC was connected to your home network, then you changed the DHCP configuration on the router, but your Vista computer didn't request a new IP? That sounds about normal. Your Vista computer already had an IP address. Until the lease-time expires on the initial IP it received it's not going to request a new one.

Rebooting your Vista box or doing ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew would have resolved this. Just like it would have with XP, Win98, Win95, etc.

Quote:
cant turn it off without getting the world most anonying popup box your system is at risk.
Your system is more at risk. Click accept or whatever and move on. Again, problem solved!

Quote:
p2p
I've heard of ISP's throttling bandwidth, but never Vista. Again, have a link or some details?

So far you've not convinced me that I should go back to XP.

Dave
Old 07-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #40
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
So your Vista PC was connected to your home network, then you changed the DHCP configuration on the router, but your Vista computer didn't request a new IP? That sounds about normal. Your Vista computer already had an IP address. Until the lease-time expires on the initial IP it received it's not going to request a new one.

Rebooting your Vista box or doing ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew would have resolved this. Just like it would have with XP, Win98, Win95, etc.
thats just it, vista got the new ips it had internet connection it cannot see the other 4 pc on the network

Quote:
Your system is more at risk. Click accept or whatever and move on. Again, problem solved!
that would be fine, if it did pop up ever 20 min!

Quote:
I've heard of ISP's throttling bandwidth, but never Vista. Again, have a link or some details?

So far you've not convinced me that I should go back to XP.
Vista's "Next Generation" TCP/IP Stack and the EnterpriseNetwork Performance Blog, Network Performance Management News, Tutorials, Resources - Network Performance Blog
Download Vista TCP/IP and UAC AutoPatch 6.0 - Removes the limitation of your half-open (incomplete/syn packets) connection attempts per second that the system can make - Softpedia
Windows Vista tcpip.sys Connection Limit Patch for Event ID 4226 » My Digital Life
Vista TCP/IP Issues

Last edited by wabbit; 07-21-2008 at 03:26 PM..
Closed Thread