Old 07-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #41
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
thats just it, vista got the new ips it had internet connection it cannot see the other 4 pc on the network
Sounds like a config issue to me. I share my Internet connection between 3 other computers at home. One running Vista, the others running XP. They're all able to see each other just fine.

If it's working fine and you change something and it stops working... ;)

Quote:
that would be fine, if it did pop up ever 20 min!
Strange. I disabled UAC on my Vista box for a week or so when I first got it and never saw another popup.

A network tweak to make your p2p stuff run a little faster does not equal a broken OS.

According to one of the links you provided: "...in order to protect the system from being used by malicious programs, such as viruses and worms, to spread to uninfected computers, or to launch distributed denial of service attack (DDoS)."

Works for me. There are way too many idiots on the Internet who bought their $300 Dell and wouldn't know a trojan or virus if it reached out of their monitor and smacked them in the head.

Kudos to Microsoft for helping do something to keep the Internet-challeneged idiots from screwing it up for the rest of us.

Dave
Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #42
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
Sounds like a config issue to me. I share my Internet connection between 3 other computers at home. One running Vista, the others running XP. They're all able to see each other just fine.

If it's working fine and you change something and it stops working... ;)
the config issue is vista, if every pc is able to adopt the changes including vista (it can go online) yet cant see local network? redoing networking on vista didnt resolve this, the os is junk. heres a better one

3 pcs, all 3 can browse / print / network fine, vista see all 3 yet it still cant access 1 pc. haha junk i tell ya junk!

cant wait for debain to finish downloading.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #43
sgtcasey

Quote:
the config issue is vista, if every pc is able to adopt the changes including vista (it can go online) yet cant see local network? redoing networking on vista didnt resolve this, the os is junk. heres a better one

3 pcs, all 3 can browse / print / network fine, vista see all 3 yet it still cant access 1 pc. haha junk i tell ya junk!
It works for everyone else so naturally the OS is to blame. Me thinks PEBKAC is hard at work here. ;)

So out of all that you still have yet to point out anything more than personal preference. I used to think just like you until I actually used Vista for a period of time. Then I hopped off the "let's all hate Vista because Microsoft published it" bandwagon.

My wife's 80-year old grandfather can manage to make Vista work. In fact, phone calls to me asking for assistance with this and that have dropped off to zero since we replaced his XP box with one running Vista (to my surprise actually).

Dave
Old 07-21-2008, 04:33 PM   #44
wabbit

yes cause its clearly set workgroup, set private, turn file sharing and discovery on, is so hard, yet it cant see 1 pc right? clearly user error!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #45
sgtcasey

Quote:
yes cause its clearly set workgroup, set private, turn file sharing and discovery on, is so hard, yet it cant see 1 pc right? clearly user error!
It could be network related, too. Perhaps a config issue on your router? There are many variables which could prevent it from working.

But I strongly doubt it's the OS broken. More likely a missed setting or something along those lines. If it were the OS, then how come it works for me and others?

But I think I've proven my point a few times here. You can rant and rave (it's the right forum!) all you want but that doesn't change the fact your opinion on Vista is just that.

Dave
Old 07-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #46
wabbit

if it was a router, i should loose the whole network right? we are talking about 4 pcs after all 3 work that run non vista, just the vista.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #47
sgtcasey

Quote:
if it was a router, i should loose the whole network right? we are talking about 4 pcs after all 3 work that run non vista, just the vista.
Depends on how the router is set up. I wouldn't expect a Cisco 2800 to work the same as a $20 Linksys or D-Link. Did you try rebooting the machines? Verifying everything? Any ports being blocked on the router? I've seen some routers require a checkbox be checked if you want to view machines over the network.

Do you always give up right away and change your OS when one thing doesn't work the way you expect?

At any rate, it's all a moot point since you're moving all your stuff over to Linux. Enjoy that!

Dave

Last edited by sgtcasey; 07-21-2008 at 04:51 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #48
wabbit

Quote:
Depends on how the router is set up. I wouldn't expect a Cisco 2800 to work the same as a $20 Linksys or D-Link. Did you try rebooting the machines? Verifying everything? Any ports being blocked on the router? I've seen some routers require a checkbox be checked if you want to view machines over the network.

Do you always give up right away and change your OS when one thing doesn't work the way you expect?

At any rate, it's all a moot point since you're moving all your stuff over to Linux. Enjoy that!

Dave
no its a business series router, no check box, why would ever pc but the vista work, network file share, but the vista? its not a router setting, its somehow vista's terrible tcpip networking, heck this was proven in sp2 of xp even a tcpip patch for it to make it "easier" to file share.

if your wondering its a linksys wrvs4400n router, its simple, static, etc.
i did swap this out with a wrt54gx router same results, if i change the ip the dhcp was on, and refresh ips etc vista just dont recover.

weird if you ask me, i spent more then needed time to do simple workgroup networking.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #49
sgtcasey

That certainly is strange but it sounds to me like you're not doing enough to recover Vista. I've never changed the DHCP range of my home network (I've never seen the need to) so I can't say I've had the same problem.

But it seems to me like a simple reboot or even just setting it back up would fix it for you. How often do you change the DHCP range of your network anyway?

Dave
Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #50
kjjb0204

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Definitely head over to HelpOnThe.Net: Tech Support Guy - Free help for Windows XP, Vista, 98, and more!. I would say that is the definitive tech support forum for your issues. There are some dudes over there that amaze me with their knowledge, sort of like JSanders and John Clark here. John Will, AcaCandy and CookieGal over there can help with just about any problem. Almost 6 million posts over there. Great people too, just like BBF.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #51
wabbit

Quote:
That certainly is strange but it sounds to me like you're not doing enough to recover Vista. I've never changed the DHCP range of my home network (I've never seen the need to) so I can't say I've had the same problem.

But it seems to me like a simple reboot or even just setting it back up would fix it for you. How often do you change the DHCP range of your network anyway?

Dave
i don't even remember why i changed the starting dhcp ip, i can honestly say it did drive me nuts for about a day why vista wasn't seeing the pc's

i totally agree, a reboot, or fix/repair network connection should of resolve this error and should of been up and running the second new ip's were issued.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #52
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
Definitely head over to HelpOnThe.Net: Tech Support Guy - Free help for Windows XP, Vista, 98, and more!. I would say that is the definitive tech support forum for your issues. There are some dudes over there that amaze me with their knowledge, sort of like JSanders and John Clark here. John Will, AcaCandy and CookieGal over there can help with just about any problem. Almost 6 million posts over there. Great people too, just like BBF.
oh nice site and alot of people with the same problem i been having with the 2nd part of not accessing a pc.
Closed Thread