BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
aaronk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO
Default How do you use your @blackberry address?

Please Login to Remove!

Do you actually send and receive emails directly to and from your @____.blackberry.net email address? Or, do you use it strictly as a way to receive forwarded mail from another email address and then change the reply to address so when you respond they still don't know your @blackberry address?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I don't use it at all.

No one should be using it either unless you want tons of SPAM coming to your BB. There is NO SPAM filter associated with it. I think all it does is identify your account with RIM and your carrier.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Never.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
ofelas
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

I use it to receive email attachments on my BlackBerry.
So far, there has not been ONE spam message.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
aaronk

So I take it you guys are forwarding mail to your Blackberry address, or when you say never use it, do you mean not using it at all, even to forward?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
BBtechrep

Model: none
Carrier: Sprint

Hi,

Generally speaking, you are not required to have a blackberry email address when you set up your BlackBerry Internet Service (Web Client) account. That can be used in extreme cases where your personal/work emails simply will not integrate and you have to create a forwarding rule from your personal/work email account to the @blackberry.net email address.

If any/all emails you attempt to add to your web client account are successfully integrated then you have no worries. What you can do from time to time is change the FROM field when you want to send email to someone and want them to reply by to a specific email address.

If you have, let's say, two or three personal/work email accounts integrated successfully in your blackberry and want a person to respond to a particular email address, what you can do is go to Options, Advanced Options, Message Service and change the email address to be used in service at the time of sending out an email. That way, you can use, say your company outlook email address to send and email to your boss and get a reply back to it on one hand, and say change it to a personal email account (like gmail, hotmail, msn or yahoo) and send an email out to your friends/family and get a response to that email the next.

If you wish to include a blackberry email address in the process, you can also set it to that if you have a preference for just certain people only knowing you have only one email address with which to email to. That is your porogative.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronk View Post
Do you actually send and receive emails directly to and from your @____.blackberry.net email address? Or, do you use it strictly as a way to receive forwarded mail from another email address and then change the reply to address so when you respond they still don't know your @blackberry address?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
aaronk

Thanks for the info all.

The reason I ask is because I've got a POP3 account (Earthlink) that a lot of friends and family have used to email me. It is set up fine on my BB but as you all probably know, emails sent to that account are not pushed directly to my BB and are polled every 5-10 min. or whatever it is. I'm just debating whether to give those few people my @blackberry email address so I can get the emails instantly. OR, just forward the emails from my Earthlink account to the @blackberry address and change my @blackberry reply to to my Earthlink account.

I guess ultimately it doesn't really matter, as someone else mentioned though, if I'm giving out the @blackberry address there's an increased likelihood of SPAM. I could just give everyone my Gmail address, but then I have to deal with getting everyone to switch over and start emailing me at that address. I was just curious as to what everyone else was doing.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
dmk11

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
I guess ultimately it doesn't really matter, as someone else mentioned though, if I'm giving out the @blackberry address there's an increased likelihood of SPAM. I could just give everyone my Gmail address, but then I have to deal with getting everyone to switch over and start emailing me at that address. I was just curious as to what everyone else was doing.
You should just switch to Gmail. Just start putting your gmail address as return-address on emails you sent and forward your earthlink emails to Gmail.
Eventually, you'll get less and less emails to your earthlink.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
ofelas

Like I mentioned before, I use the BIS @blackberry.net address exclusively as a personal email on my BB.

On that BIS address, I forward & set the 'reply to' address from a POP email account, AND give the actual BIS address out as well; so far no spam.

I compartmentalize my BES & BIS addresses for work and personal use, and this works well for me, as all emails are instantly pushed to my BB.

Why don't you create a BIS address & forward your Earthlink email to it/set your "reply to" address as earthlink in the BIS settings pages? You'll have the benefits of earthlink's spam filters for peace of mind as well as reap the benefits of pushed email.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA

i dont use it at all.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
rsnadel

Model: 9000

The email address I use is Earthlink as well. I've set it up through Earthlink's web client to forward a copy of all incoming mail to my blackberry email address (rather than using the BB web client to do so). Doing it this way means it shows up on my device immediately, without waiting for the polling of the BB server. The original remains on the Earthlink server until I download to my desktop.

Last edited by rsnadel; 06-24-2007 at 02:34 PM..
Old 06-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
the only reason to have the @yourcarrier.blackberry.net email address is to utilize the instant "push" services that blackberry is made for. HOWEVER, with the new BIS, certain email accounts offer instant push already. for example, when the new BIS came out for the US carriers, Gmail and Yahoo became instant push. in other words, emails are instantly pushed to your blackberry when using a gmail or yahoo account. other accounts, such as college email accounts, and other non-major branded email services, are on a 15 min lag. emails will be delivered about 15 mins behind when they are sent, b/c RIM's server will only check every 15 mins for you (it's actually more like 14.5 mins, i timed a few times). HOWEVER...if you are a heavy email user and you receive lots of emails, then RIM's server will check more often for you.

i have NO use for the blackberry email address whatsoever because i use gmail and i have instant push already. i also have a college email account and 15 mins lag is sufficient for me. once i get back to school in august, it won't be 15 mins lag b/c i get TONS of emails a day.

i hope this answers your question. my recommendation is to just get a Gmail account...almost 3 GB of space and instant push, plus it's just a breeze to use.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
The email address I use is Earthlink as well. I've set it up through Earthlink's web client to forward a copy of all incoming mail to my blackberry email address (rather than using the BB web client to do so). Doing it this way means it shows up on my device immediately, without waiting for the polling of the BB server. The original remains on the Earthlink server until I download to my desktop.

it's pointless to use the blackberry address. do you realize you won't have records of any sent messages? it's better to forward to a Gmail account and basically turn that account in your earthlink one. blackberry has instant delivery for Gmail email accounts. that way, Gmail will keep track of everything, INCLUDING your messages sent from your blackberry device
Old 06-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
rsnadel

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
it's pointless to use the blackberry address. do you realize you won't have records of any sent messages? it's better to forward to a Gmail account and basically turn that account in your earthlink one. blackberry has instant delivery for Gmail email accounts. that way, Gmail will keep track of everything, INCLUDING your messages sent from your blackberry device
With all due respect, it's only pointless if I want a record of sent items. I happen not to.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
With all due respect, it's only pointless if I want a record of sent items. I happen not to.
why would you not want a record of all of your sent messages? if they're stored on a virtually unlimited size mailbox (Gmail), why would you complain? in my field of work and in daily life, it's good to be able to look back and verify something you sent, etc. i cant see why you wouldnt take the gmail BIS account route... "with all due respect"...it seems rather dumb.

but it's your blackberry so you can do whatever you choose...
Old 06-24-2007, 05:45 PM   #16
ofelas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
why would you not want a record of all of your sent messages? if they're stored on a virtually unlimited size mailbox (Gmail), why would you complain? in my field of work and in daily life, it's good to be able to look back and verify something you sent, etc. i cant see why you wouldnt take the gmail BIS account route... "with all due respect"...it seems rather dumb.

but it's your blackberry so you can do whatever you choose...
Seems kinda dumb to not research the fact that -

1. Every email sent FROM a BIS address on the BB can be automatically BCC'd to his Earthlink address.

2. Every email incoming TO a BIS address on the BB can be auto-forwarded to yet another archival email address like Gmail if he so chooses.

Both options above can be set to EITHER plain emails OR emails with attachments.

Half a dozen, six of twelve...take your pick...at least he now has all the options on the table in front of him...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 AM   #17
nimocone

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

I use mine for close friends and family. Anything else goes through my Gmail account.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #18
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I keep mine for forwarding but it's really not used at all.

I'd recommend getting everyone to email you via your gmail account.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #19
ToddziLLa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Never have used it, never will.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #20
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas View Post
Seems kinda dumb to not research the fact that -

1. Every email sent FROM a BIS address on the BB can be automatically BCC'd to his Earthlink address.

2. Every email incoming TO a BIS address on the BB can be auto-forwarded to yet another archival email address like Gmail if he so chooses.

Both options above can be set to EITHER plain emails OR emails with attachments.

Half a dozen, six of twelve...take your pick...at least he now has all the options on the table in front of him...

HAH. dude i know all of that you -----. but why would you want to auto BCC every sent message back to your account into the account's inbox? that's just a pain in the @$$. it requires much more account maintenance and time of going through and moving stuff or marking it unread. it will drive you UP the wall.

i really don't care how much the BIS Blackberry email account is put on a pedastal...all i am saying is that the Gmail account route seems the most useful in having true integration and having all of your emails backed up somewhere in an ORGANIZED fashion.

end of story

Edited - Moderator's note: No name calling please - this is against BlackBerryForusm rules! Your warning.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 06-26-2007 at 04:18 PM..
Closed Thread