BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 05:22 AM   #81
narbeauchamp
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

My next two tries will likely be the 645 or the JX10.I've had nothing but good experiences with Jabra headsets over the years and wouldn't hesitate to try another.I just recently went with the Plantronics 640,and so far so good.

I've had the BT800 for a very long time-and I could never get it to work right with my primary phone at the time,as a result its been used far less amongst its peers in my "tested and tried" drawer (which sometimes seems more a closet ! ).

I find that an in ear headset is a much better match for me (I have horrible hearing and partial loss in the ear I use my headsets in)-so the 640 is a great match,perhaps the best thus far.I can actually hear my conversations-and have even found some to be on the loud side ,and I like that I can leave the volume on my headset at its max and play around with the volume on my handset to adjust instead of a constant struggle with the headset for each call.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #82
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShark
Due to this thread, and the fact that I have been having some trouble hearing the H700 lately (its not the headset, I have horrible hearing, and think an internal ear bud might be the way to go), I decided to give hte JX-10 a shot. So far I have to say, I love the fit. I love the look. I love the size/weight. I am concerned about the earpiece, it has already flown off twice as I was removing the headset from its charger. However, the earpiece is also great in that it is adjustable. When I have the headset on, it is more comfortable than any BT I have tried, and that along with functionality is what ultimately counts. I'll report back on sound/voice quality when I have it charged up, but so far I give it a thumbs up.

FWIW, there have been others with the same issues. Some have glued the earhook to the headset with success. Also, I understand Jabra will send a replacement earhook for free from their website.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #83
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50

I for one haven't had a problem with the ear piece.

Granted I keep it on my ear 99% of the time (not in my pocket) and do see how the ear hook could pop off but I'm hesitaint to Crazy Glue it on.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #84
jww
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Bell Mobility - Canada

I'll be ordering up a JX10 to match to my newly ordered (but not yet received) 7130e in a couple of weeks. Why in a couple of weeks you ask? Because I live in Canada, and can pick up a JX10 plus car charger for about 1/2 the price that I can here - and with the exchange finally swinging back into our favor north of the border, the $$ are basically at par when you consider all the taxes we pay in Canada for goods (currently 15% in Ontario, going down to 14% in July - woohoo? I think not).

Anyway - I have researched this thing to death (literally, my wife is sick of dinner table conversation revolving around the benefits of this or that headset) and think that the JX10 is probably the best all-round for me. I use it mostly in car, or when walking in a mall or office. I sometimes use it outside, but not as often, so I am pretty sure that performance will be fine. And besides, that Jacob Jensen Design work is nothing short of beauty meets function.

jww
Old 06-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #85
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

I think you will enjoy the JX-10, let us know what you think after you have tried it.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #86
frankns

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mo

Hi folks ...

I've had the 645 for a few days now and am generally pleased.

Pros: Good sound quality. Adequate volume. Excellent noise reduction/ellimination. Handy charging options.

Cons: I'm old ... would like a little more volume. Ear gel/bud is not for everyone. Hard to tell if I am pressing volume up or volume down button.

If I HAD an JX10 in hand I could tell you which was superior.

I especially like the charging options and the fact that I can clip the headset holder into a shirt pocket (a tad nerdy) or slip it into my pants. I haven't experimented much with the auto-answer function. The headset vibrates for incoming calls when it's in the headset holder and then answers when removed.

More after a full week
Old 06-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #87
jww
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Bell Mobility - Canada

How does the JX10 alert for incoming calls??

jww
Old 06-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #88
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww
How does the JX10 alert for incoming calls??

jww
The JX-10 plays a tune in the headset as well as the phone ringing. When you answer the call it plays another short tune to signify the call is connected.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #89
barjohn

Carrier: AT&T

I am more than a little surprised at the good comments on the JX-10. I have just finished reviewing it but have not completed my write up; however, I will give forum members a preview:

Pluses:
1. Small size
2. Attractive Design
3. Comfort: Ok but the rubber is a little hard and hurts after a bit
4. Good battery Life
5. Incoming Sound Quality OK as long as the volume is not set too high

Minuses:
1. Outgoing Sound is digital sounding and gets worse as the noise level increases
2. Noise Cancellation (what noise cancellation)
3. Ear Clip appears to be fragile (I didn't test it to breaking as I wanted to be able to return the unit)
4. Controls for Volume are hard to use and you accidently can push the call button in the process
5. Pairing button is tiny and hard to press

Here is a link to a sound clip to demonstrate what I mean:
JX-10

Here is a link to the Plantronics 510 under similar circumstances without a wind sock or the new windstop technology:
Plantronics 510

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535

Last edited by barjohn; 06-18-2006 at 04:39 PM..
Old 06-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #90
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

It's clear that some users have good experiences with headsets while others don't.
The JX-10 has been well discussed here so I will briefly say that I have not had any of the problems listed particularly with regards to sound quality.
As far as the small pairing button, this is a non issue for me, I mean, how many times do you need to use it?
Old 06-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #91
barjohn

If you check many other forums you will find that my experience is not unique and it is documented with sound clips not just my opinion. I would agree that the small pairing button is not a big deal but it is a negative.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #92
lgreenberg

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50

I agree.

I like the fact that it has it's own pairing button. On other headsets I always forget what key sequence has to be pressed, on or off etc. to initiate pairing mode.

They even include the little toothpick thingy if you need it.

I've read as many positive reviews of the JX10 as I have negative ones.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #93
Debala715

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I've had my JX-10 for a week now, and I love it. No one has complained at all about the sound quality, in fact, none knew I was using it until I asked.

The only problem I have with it is, I can not use it with my left ear. It causes me too much pain after 10 minutes if I use it with my left ear. But my right ear it causes no pain whatsoever. I usually forget I'm wearing it. And it doesn't interfer with my glasses at all. Which is a good thing since I can't see without my glasses.

Now I just have to get use to wearing my BB on my right side!

All in all, I give the pairing of the 7130e and the JX-10 a
Old 06-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #94
TheShark

Carrier: Sprint

I took the earpiece off the JX-10... I found it to be unnecessary, it stays quite secure without it.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:57 PM   #95
barjohn

Have yo tried calling your voice mail from your car and listening to the recording when you are driving at highway speeds? Just because no one has complained, really depends on when and how you were using it. In a quiet environmnt it will sound just fine and no one may know you are using it. Get into a noisy environment and everything changes.

My criteria is to perform well in a noisy environment and frankly I haven't found anything yet that really makes it on all counts.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 06-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #96
Debala715

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
Have yo tried calling your voice mail from your car and listening to the recording when you are driving at highway speeds? Just because no one has complained, really depends on when and how you were using it. In a quiet environmnt it will sound just fine and no one may know you are using it. Get into a noisy environment and everything changes.

My criteria is to perform well in a noisy environment and frankly I haven't found anything yet that really makes it on all counts.
No, I haven't tried calling my voice mail while driving on the highway. It's bad enough I'm driving at about 80-85 mph while on the highway (yes, I have a lead foot). I figure, if its so important, they will call me back otherwise, they can wait till I am stopped to call my voice mail.

Now, I have talked while driving my car on the highway, doing 80-85 mph, with the windows open and heard the person just fine, and they heard me just fine also. Of course, they heard me better once I rolled up the windows, but that was the same when I was just using the phone up to my ear. The wind can help to drown out most any conversation, ear piece or not.

All I can say is, I'm well pleased with my JX-10. It's been well worth the money.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #97
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Another plug for the Voyager 510

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1979797,00.asp

from pcmag
Old 06-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #98
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

I really liked the Voyager too, but I had a hard time getting past the "Telemarketer" look.
The Jabra JX-10 continues to work great for me.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:27 PM   #99
4tay

Model: 8800
Carrier: ATT

I have had the HS850 & H700 an dthe JX10 is the best for me.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #100
frankns

Carrier: t-mo

Okay ... I've had the 645 for a week and used it under many different conditions.

And the answer is <drum roll, please> ...

I cannot recomment the unit.

Pros:
Excellent sound quality
Excellent noise reduction
Light weight
Nifty pocket charger/holder

Cons:
Will not stay in holder -- after a few days the connection is no longer strong enough hold unit. Unit falls out frequently and is easy to lose. So much for your investment.
Ear jells do no keep unit in ear -- really must use "ear hook"
Ear hook, jell, and unit become separated too easily -- I've had to hunt for pieces several times
Volume buttons hard to distinguish

Because this has been discussed elsewhere, I called Plantronics to see if there was a "fix" that would keep the unit in the holder. The rep really didn't listen much ... he just sent me a new unit. I'll update the thread if/when the new unit appears improved.

The bottome line for me is that this is another example of a good idea, with good technology that wasn't really tested in day to day use. Marketing won out over engineering. A shame. You could probably "fix" these issues with a little after-market engineering -- some glue here, a little padding there -- but why the heck are we doing that? LOL

F
Closed Thread