BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
crucifixion
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Worth it to get Insurance on Pearl for T-mobile?

Please Login to Remove!

Since I just got the phone I have a couple more days to decide if I should get insurance or not. Tmobile allows you to only get insurance within the first 7 days of purchase, after that you can never get insurance.

So should I get it? I can't decide if its financially worth it. Its 5.99 a month I think, but its a $110 deductible. Now, if I break it in the first two months, its worth it since the phone is still new and on ebay its still going for 300-400. However, after a year, that'll almost be $100 in monthly payments, plus the deductible will make the total to get the Pearl replaced about $200. I would think by a year from now the Pearl will be much cheaper, infact I'm sure there will be a better veriosn of the Pearl out there, like with GPS or something. So then I might as well pay the 400 then to get that new phone if my Pearl is damaged, right?

What do you guys think? One thing to add is that I'm a big cell phone junkie and I buy a new phone every year. I was on Verizon so after 1 year you're eligible to get a new phone thru an early upgrade so I'd always get a new phone and spend about 200 to do so.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
antsony

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon now...

i will just say this, you can always remove the insurance plan from your account if you dont file a claim in the first couple of months.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Berryguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

Insurance through TMo is not worth it... it was offered to me, I did not take kit. The costs of handsets start coming down so quickly within 6 months you can probably buy the pearl for about $200... I hear in India, Pearl is going for $250 already, so if you end up paying monthy insurance for a year plus your $100 or so deductible, you are better of buying a new one. Only thing take care of the phone for the first few months. I bough myself a great plastic hardcase, works great and solid. My pearl fell couple of times, nothing happened to it... check it out at cellphonshop.net
Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

I'd doublecheck on the insurance thing...a lot of carriers don't insure smart phones. Beware.
Closed Thread