BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
PabloTX
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Syncing between two computers (XP and OS X)

Please Login to Remove!

Is this just a horrible idea?

I've had troubles with this in the past (Palm OS and Windows Smartphone) and the Curve will be my first BB. So what I do now is just sync with my work PC (which is usually more up to date and where most of my stuff is entered) and forget about syncing with the Mac.

However, I've read how there are some issues with Outlook sync when using BIS (which is what I will be doing). So there's one thing that's making me think that OS X might get me around the Outlook sync issues.

But I'd prefer to use Outlook on the PC (again, more up to date).

So I'll be picking up a pair of Curves tonight and will go ahead and set it up on the Mac (using PocketMac while I give it a shot) and then will hopefully be able to sync with Outlook come Monday morning.

In the past, I know what I had to do was to get the device syncing to one computer, then set the other computer to be overwritten by the data on the device in order to get everything the same once. This worked fairly well.

But I'm unfamiliar with the BB platform...and this issue with the Curve on BIS syncing with Outlook throws me for another curve.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
Flashman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Terrible idea.

The BlackBerry is not like conventional PDAs in that it does not expect to sync between more than one machine or hence have more than one master repository of data.

My recommendation is to get a BES/Microsoft Exchange hosted account and have your outlook sync there and your BB sync to the same hosted service. The hosted service becomes, in effect, your system-of-record. On your Mac you can use WebMail or any exchange compatible client.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
PabloTX

Thanks.

Of course I'd prefer a hosted BES, but are there any cheaper than $20 a month (Exchange + BES)? That seems to be the going rate, and probably a little expensive for what I'm looking for.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
PabloTX

no message

Last edited by PabloTX; 06-25-2007 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: Resolved
Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
rrehders

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers
Arrow Alternate suggestion

I have a similar requirement. I have a home PC where I maintain my personal scheduling and a laptop I use for business where I want to maintain my professional schedule.

I have taken a round-about route to achieve my goals...

I subscribe to google apps premium as well as the standard google calender.

I use these services as shadows for my scheduling tool of choice.

At home I simply access my google personal account directly from a web browser.
At work, My scheduling tool is Outlook, and I use a small $40 application known as syncmycal to automatically (every 5 minutes) sync outlook with my google premium work account.

On my blackberry I use a small app known as syncje to synchronize my bbry with a service known as Goosync which accesses my personal and work google calenders...

Still with me?

The net effect of all of this is that my google calenders are a web based copy of my master scheduling tools, and they automatically sync to my bbry.

While I have a couple small monthly service charges for this whole convoluted arrangement of applications (google premium and goosync) The benefit is that I have an open standards based schedule repository (google using the iCal format) which is automatically synced to my bbry, and I can use whatever tool of my choosing to act as a primary interface at any time. I would also add that the whole mechanism is 2 way sync, so I can both read and write from my bbry or other access mechanisms...

If you are from the Toronto area and this is a little to complex for you to implement yourself, I do run my own company and would be happy to offer you some consulting services to set this up for you.

Robert
Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
mac443
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

unless you try to use google or yahoo as your main source for calendar/address book/mail/notes/docs... etc - that way you are using internet sources
Old 06-26-2007, 12:56 AM   #7
Ybot

Carrier: Rogers

I use Plaxo.com to keep my PC at work and my Mac at home in sync. Works quite well and it's free!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:42 AM   #8
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.6636/1690; en; U; ssr))

I use Outlook on my laptop & find that it syncs very reliably with my BB 8300. I have not had a single problem. I also keep a couple other BlackBerry models in sync so I have choices as far as what I want to use.