BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Talking BB Messenger Icon Help

Please Login to Remove!

Having done some research to if not to resolve the confusion over different Icons used on the Main page and some on the conversation banner(Top Bar in Conversation screen), but to understand it, I decided to post all the different BB Messenger Icons I have seen and there meaning or
at least my conjecture for some.

Here they are, at least as captured from my 8700c Handheld.

Contact Available, Main Screen and Banner.

Contact Unavailable, Main Screen and Banner.

Contact Typing Message, Main Screen Conversation List (Sorry about the Blue Background, had this one highlighted)

New Message from Contact, Main Screen Conversation List (Same Problem)

These Next two are Conjecture on my part based on recent and previous problems noticed in BB Messenger

Contact Busy, Message Delay in delivery, Main Screen and Banner.

Not sure about this one, but it occurs when the message was delayed, but finally delivered, but not read. Busy?

Invite Pending, Main Screen

Any clarification or correction is asked for and definitely welcome.

Thanks to Pinstacker johnj41 for his help in capturing these images.

Hope this helps someone, and someone can help me
Rcbjr.

Last edited by rcbjr; 06-25-2006 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: clarified cobversation banner Added Small Icons
Old 06-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

The last 2 actually mean different things. The blue clock means a contact is Unreachable and the yellow arrow means a contact is Busy.

All of the icons actually are only on the main screen of BlackBerry Messenger. The only one that shows up in the banner is the one that alerts you that you have a new message.

Last edited by EricaJ1074; 06-24-2006 at 01:48 PM..
Old 06-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
rcbjr

Thanks Erica, I'm talking about the banner (contact bar or whatever it's called) shown during a conversation, not the home screen banner.

Edit; I added a clarification to original post about the conversation banner.

As two the last last two icons, in my chat with Johb, I sent a message, but it took a while for delivery, after about 30 seconds, his Icon went to the greyed out icon with blue clock, as soon as it was marked delivered, his icon changed to the last icon. Don't see any yellow on mine. I assume as soon as he read it or started typing, it went back to the available icon, but I was in another App at the time. Just explaining what happened while chatting.

Thanks again
Rcbjr

Last edited by rcbjr; 06-24-2006 at 04:05 PM..
Old 06-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Oh ok. You're welcome. I have been experiencing this too. If I PIN a contact, they go unreachable then sometime later become available.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
rcbjr

I have updated the Original Post to include Icons in the actual size as captured and added a Invite Pending Icon

Hope this helps
Rcbjr
Old 07-30-2006, 11:29 PM   #6
soesraider
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaJ1074
Oh ok. You're welcome. I have been experiencing this too. If I PIN a contact, they go unreachable then sometime later become available.

I've been noticing this as well. Is it indicative of poor wireless reception in one or both areas? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the pattern. I regularly use BBM to talk to someone across the country with another 8700r. Often, after I send a msg, they go "grey" - with the yellow icon. The msg either sits Delivered, but not Read, or it doesn't even get Delivered unti lsome later time. IN any case, I almost feel like I"m the one who made them go "unavailable", since they could sit in normal "available" mode for ages, and only drop out when they're communicating with me, or I with them.

The actual (very poor) documentation for BBM (link posted above in another post) makes mention of the grey/yellow icon and the blue clock icon, as specifically indicating when a user is using their trackwheel, etc (indicatiing they are busy doing something with the BB), or Unavailable (although that isnt' defined - turned off?). I've found those descriptions to be inaccurate at best. My contact can be sitting waiting for me to send something, not touching the trackwheel, and their contact icon will go grey on my screen.

Perhaps icon changes are related to the screen dimming? I havent' found a pattern there either, but maybe someone else has?

it also doesn't accurately reflect when someone has actually turned off their BB. I know my contact has turned off, but their BBM icon will still show as available, or busy, or the grey/yellow icon for Unavailable. Minutes, even an hour or two can pass with no change. Then the minute I try to send them a msg, it will sit pending, Undelivered, and their icon will grey out to show them offline. The checkmark will remain beside the msg, but not the D or R.

Any help or clarification is most appreciated - it seems like a great little app, but reliability has me more than a little worried. I've had some time-sensitive conversations going on, and had these problems arise. Eventually, I just had to drop my tasks and pick up the old fashioned phone.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

SR
8700r / BIS
Old 07-30-2006, 11:37 PM   #7
celltester
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Alltel

i have noticed the same issue as above, with no ryhme or reason. I have tried to boil it down to model specifics, location, etc. Provider of service maybe the link. But anyhow, This is frustrating for me too and am looking for clarification. I am willing to experiment with this to tryand find answers. I am not sure being idle has anything to do with it either, but can't prove it.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 AM   #8
VickyPaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMobile

Another one here with the same issues as you all. I also had one who became permanently 'busy' listed under the unavailable list which I'm wondering if that means they deleted me as a contact...making them unavailable to me. Or maybe because they were on Nextel and I'm on TM??

'I am stuck on Blackberry and my Blackberry's stuck on me'
Old 07-31-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
rcbjr

One thing to remember is that BB messenger isn't really like most I'm programs that constantly waste Bandwidth checking on everyones status and updating everyone else's displays. It appears to update whene conversations are actually started or during the conversation or when some in your contacts lists actually changes their availability status. This saves both data usage and server Bandwidth.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 07-31-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
soesraider

That *is* good to know, but I don't think that's what's happening in these cases. These are ppl engaged in conversations, sending msgs back and forth, and status changes, even though they haven't moved location, nor have they changed screens on their BBerry (which might prompt a Busy indictor?).

I'm all for accepting that *no* IM service is perfect, and would lose connection from time to time, but the BB Msgr just seems spotty in its causes and indicators.

SR
8700r / BIS
Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 PM   #11
soesraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyPaz
Another one here with the same issues as you all. I also had one who became permanently 'busy' listed under the unavailable list which I'm wondering if that means they deleted me as a contact...making them unavailable to me. Or maybe because they were on Nextel and I'm on TM??
Vicky, this happens to me (although not permanently) even with a user on the same provider, even immediately after sending a msg, even when that user is expecting my msg and in the middle of a conversation with me. I don't specifically know what happens when a user blocks/deletes someone else, but "Unavailable" would prob be the best option. But given how spotty service seems to be at the best of times, it seems we cant' be certain *what's* going on on the network.

SR
8700r / BIS
Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 AM   #12
rcbjr

I have found that there are hicups with the delevery and read hand shaking between participants BBs, that causes one to go unreachable. But it doesn't affect the flow of messages and the indication goes away as soon as that participant begins typing again.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 08-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #13
soesraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbjr
I have found that there are hicups with the delevery and read hand shaking between participants BBs, that causes one to go unreachable. But it doesn't affect the flow of messages and the indication goes away as soon as that participant begins typing again.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr

Thanks for that...that might give a direction to start testing in. B/c I *do* see delays in delivery, so there might be another cause. But handshaking is certainly a good start. I guess I need to test with a contact where we have this problem regularly, and get on a diff phone connection so we're not trying to use the BBerry to talk about the issue as well. That might skew the results.

I'll post if I find out more.

SR
8700r / BIS
Old 10-29-2006, 06:58 AM   #14
abgopm

Model: Bold
Carrier: The New AT&T

Anyone ever figure this one out. Because I am experiencing the same thing on my 8703e on vzw. My co-workers 7130e shows me availble, but mine shows the busy icon for him. My messages to him are delayed and his are instant. When he sends me a message his icon becomes available again, but then if I wait an hour or so and I try to send him a message his icon goes to the busy icon again. But on his my icon reads that I am availble.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #15
flash24

Model: 9930
PIN: 3319688F
Carrier: Verizon

thanks i finally know what they mean hahah

Proud to Serve USAF
Closed Thread