BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #41
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

It takes a little use to. I formerly had the 8700c. I am willing to sacrifice a little for the overall form and features of the 8800.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #42
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

After a bit of a surreal experience with the first 8800, and after a couple hours dealing with my rep and corp store, my replacement has a very typical rollerball. I was advised that what I first received was not a production unit and that it should not have been inventoried. Some district guy was supposed to be in the vicinity the end of next week for meetings and would take care of 'internal matters', but that's their problem.

With that being said, what I had with the first unit was (for lack of a better way to describe) a ball with a nub on it for directional control. The nub limited the amount of movement the ball could make, and as I described earlier, the on-screen menu would continue to move in the direction of the pressure I would apply/hold to the nub, and only stop when either I stopped applying pressure or the menu selections ended in the direction I was aiming, just like a joystick's action. Weird stuff, but I guess I'm now back to just being another bourjois 8800 owner.

I'm not sure I like the rollerball as much as the nub so far after getting this one setup and my data moved [alot of scrolling to get around], but it's growing on me after adjusting its movement speed a little.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #43
AngelJo008
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
After a bit of a surreal experience with the first 8800, and after a couple hours dealing with my rep and corp store, my replacement has a very typical rollerball. I was advised that what I first received was not a production unit and that it should not have been inventoried. Some district guy was supposed to be in the vicinity the end of next week for meetings and would take care of 'internal matters', but that's their problem.

With that being said, what I had with the first unit was (for lack of a better way to describe) a ball with a nub on it for directional control. The nub limited the amount of movement the ball could make, and as I described earlier, the on-screen menu would continue to move in the direction of the pressure I would apply/hold to the nub, and only stop when either I stopped applying pressure or the menu selections ended in the direction I was aiming, just like a joystick's action. Weird stuff, but I guess I'm now back to just being another bourjois 8800 owner.

I'm not sure I like the rollerball as much as the nub so far after getting this one setup and my data moved [alot of scrolling to get around], but it's growing on me after adjusting its movement speed a little.

this would explain why you argued about it "rolling" as apposed to being more like a joystick. :D
Old 03-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #44
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
I was advised that what I first received was not a production unit and that it should not have been inventoried.

With that being said, what I had with the first unit was (for lack of a better way to describe) a ball with a nub on it for directional control.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:02 AM   #45
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

Quote:

uh....that makes perfect sense.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:12 AM   #46
Outrigger
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

yes, I did notice the keyboard feels very mushy compared to other keys. I first thought it was just my BB, but then after I got a replacement, it was the exact same thing. But I do like the other nifty features, and I still do like the device better than my 8700g. Like everything else, it'll just take time to get used to. But as I have said earlier, I think I would've liked it more if the roller ball was on the side where the wheel used to be. Easier to have it in my hand where my thumb is on the side.
Closed Thread