JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: *

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid View Post
Ok, Opera Mini is trying to use the TCP (regular way of the connection to internet). But, when using tcp, you pay money for the data you received and sent.

Since I have a data plan that only coverages the BlackBerry apn based connections, opera mini is useless for me, because i don't want to pay extra for the extra data.

BIS: BlackBerry Internet Service
Umm, no. Data is data on the BB plan. The byte count is the same for any of the packets leaving the phone. I don't think you understand what BIS really is. If you do an IP lookup when you use the BB browser and surfing you'd see that it's from a RIM APN/Proxy server. The same thing happens with Opera, only it's Opera's network instead of RIM's. Any data send or received via the BB is all the same. Email, surfing, chatting, anything, all counted the same.

This has to do with the CDMA radio config on the phone, not with what APN you use... for CDMA data coverage that is.

Edit: I noticed you use some "wacky" carrier for cell service. If your carrier has some kind of wack way of doing business for data plans and coverage, that probably explains why you're seeing extra charges for your access. This is partially because of the way GPRS works and the way some carriers tend to change things in terms of BB service plans. It's this combination "alone" that probably sets you different from the rest.

Example: T-Mobile has a regular "Internet BB Plan" or an "Enterprise BB Plan". With the Internet plan you can access any POP email accounts you have, but not Enterprise servers like an Exchange server. Other carriers don't do this and have one plan does both no questions asked.

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 08-22-2007 at 05:46 PM..
Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #42
Plaid

Model: 8800
Carrier: Turkcell

yes, my carrier is somekind selfish. remember blackberry weather, we needed to configure the tcp/ip (apn) settings to connect it to internet. it's the same for opera mini, too.

it's so sad yes, my carrier does not have such a plan..
Old 08-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #43
joewaked
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon
Default Just downloaded OperaMini...

Ok, I don't get it.... Maybe I'm missing something here. I can't really see a significant difference between the BB Browser and the OperaMini. What gives?

I'm using a Verizon 8830.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #44
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewaked View Post
Ok, I don't get it.... Maybe I'm missing something here. I can't really see a significant difference between the BB Browser and the OperaMini. What gives?

I'm using a Verizon 8830.
LOL.

Go to a real website... maybe newegg.com in the BB Browser and then in Opera 4.x Beta. I know that site alone will show you the weaknesses of the BB Browser.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:16 PM   #45
joewaked
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
LOL.

Go to a real website... maybe newegg.com in the BB Browser and then in Opera 4.x Beta. I know that site alone will show you the weaknesses of the BB Browser.
I was trying Yahoo before... I went on newegg.com and now I see the difference. Do you use Opera for all your browsing, or only specific sites (which are graphic intensive, etc.)? Is Opera missing some shortcuts that BB Browser has (i.e., you always have to access the Menu on Opera)?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:21 PM   #46
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

^^^ Yeah, that part of Opera kinda sucks. If Opera had BB Browsers menu functionality then it would rock. I use Opera mostly unless I'm hitting a site that needs to see my device as a BB specific one. Only BB Browser seems to allow for this. Also, OTA stuff doesn't seem to work well with Opera.
Closed Thread