Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
ebruder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T
Default Telenav, 8800, and Bluetooth

Please Login to Remove!

I am using Telenav on my BB 8800 and find it to be outstanding except for the programs incompatibility with a Bluetooth headset. When I drive, I naturally want to use Bluetooth for answering and voice dialing calls. It would be great if Telenav could be heard through the headset, but I understand Telenav says that is not possible.

Are there other comparable turn by turn GPS applications like Telenav that are Bluetooth compatible?

If not, how are others using Telenav over the speaker and still have Bluetooth for calls?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Which OS do you have. With the Rodgers OS it does come through BT. I haven't tested it that much and some posts say it clips?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
ebruder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
Which OS do you have. With the Rodgers OS it does come through BT. I haven't tested it that much and some posts say it clips?
I'm on Cingular. The Telenav version is 4.7.0.18 and the BB version is 4.2.1.72
Old 04-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
ebruder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default A little experimenting with Telenav and 8800 BT

I experimented with Telenav and the Bluetooth on the 8800. If Telenav was operating I could still answer calls via BT. If I tried to do voice activated dialing, I would hear ,"say a command", and then the phone would hang. To get out of the hang I needed to turn the phone off and back on.

So BT works with Telenav for answering and talking on incoming, but so far I have not been successful on BT voice dialing.

I tried doing this with Bluetooth connected both before and after launching Telenav.

This is maddening as the program is otherwise so good. I looked at Shinsonddog's great page on the various applications, and demo'd two of the other programs (at their website) that had voice directions, but they do not announce the street names, just turn right in 200 meters, etc.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
ebruder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default More experimenting with Telenav and VAD

The voice activated dialing does not work with Telenet working for either BT or wired earbud.

I was incorrect earlier when I said the phone had to be turned off after a VAD/Telenav hang. You just have to turn off Telenav and wait a few seconds.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebruder View Post
I experimented with Telenav and the Bluetooth on the 8800. If Telenav was operating I could still answer calls via BT. If I tried to do voice activated dialing, I would hear ,"say a command", and then the phone would hang. To get out of the hang I needed to turn the phone off and back on.

So BT works with Telenav for answering and talking on incoming, but so far I have not been successful on BT voice dialing.

I tried doing this with Bluetooth connected both before and after launching Telenav.

This is maddening as the program is otherwise so good. I looked at Shinsonddog's great page on the various applications, and demo'd two of the other programs (at their website) that had voice directions, but they do not announce the street names, just turn right in 200 meters, etc.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
If you upgrade your OS, you can hear the TN directions from a BT headset. TN has always worked while making a phone call - although the data connection stops for the time being - but not with VAD. Mapquest claims it is better as it DL's more route data at first so you can make calls and not worry about it if you go off track, but MQ has limits too due to that. Both are WAY over due for their next releases, so let's see what happens.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
ebruder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
If you upgrade your OS, you can hear the TN directions from a BT headset. TN has always worked while making a phone call - although the data connection stops for the time being - but not with VAD. Mapquest claims it is better as it DL's more route data at first so you can make calls and not worry about it if you go off track, but MQ has limits too due to that. Both are WAY over due for their next releases, so let's see what happens.
Thanks much for your reply. Now I'll have to read up and learn how to update the BB OS. Isn't the newest version just from 4.2.1.72 to 4.2.1.73?

And also hope Telenav updates to take care of the VAD problem. I did post on the TN forum as well
Old 04-27-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
ebruder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Stinsonddog,

First thanks for the info and hand holding. On the OS upgrade, are you referring to O2 or Rogers OS, or are they the same? I am on Cingular, so I understand I'll need to delete the the vendor.xml.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
rickthornton
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
The voice activated dialing does not work with Telenet working for either BT or wired earbud.

I was incorrect earlier when I said the phone had to be turned off after a VAD/Telenav hang. You just have to turn off Telenav and wait a few seconds.
I am able to use VAD with Telenav running in the "Turn Arrows" mode, but not in the 3D or 2D map views.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
ebruder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthornton View Post
I am able to use VAD with Telenav running in the "Turn Arrows" mode, but not in the 3D or 2D map views.
Rick,

What a great find! I was able to get VAD with the turn arrow choice, and I really don't care about the 2D or 3D maps if the BB8800 is in my pocket.

I am next going to try the latest BB 8800 OS per Stinsonddog's recommendation to try to get the voice directions over BT.

I'll post after that experiment.

Thanks again.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
ebruder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default It works!!!

Thanks to those who advised me. Using the new 8800 OS from Rogers allows Televan over BT. Using the "turn arrow" versus the 2D or 3D maps allows for VAD. You can actually use VAD with the maps, but it is much slower and imprecise.

I am now extremely please with the 8800 and Telenav.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
rickthornton
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Rick,

What a great find! I was able to get VAD with the turn arrow choice, and I really don't care about the 2D or 3D maps if the BB8800 is in my pocket.

I am next going to try the latest BB 8800 OS per Stinsonddog's recommendation to try to get the voice directions over BT.

I'll post after that experiment.

Thanks again.
Glad it worked for you.
Closed Thread