BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #61
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Everything is fine overall. I had to delete a lot of unused apps in order to free up 15MB. I am using a Tmobile 9700 and I upgraded over my previous official Tmobile release, which was the most recent.

Here are my other issues if anyone has a fix for these please PM me.

SocialScope Lite - at first I couldnt get it to scroll around on the feed. After a remove, reboot, and reinstall this has been resolved. However when looking at a tweet/update that has a link I used to be able to "right click" using the Blackberry button and had a menu that allowed me to "Open in Opera Mini" as well as other options like copy, open link, etc. This menu is completely gone. The menu is there on a hashtag though.

Opera Mini - everything is fine except that when moving the browser pointer around using the trackpad it moves in chunks (think of it as skipping). Tried remove, reboot, and reinstall and it did not resolve.

These two are my most heavily used apps and if I can't get these two things fixed I will have to go back to OS5.

Can anyone help me??
Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #62
SmoothOperator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I just have a new issue developing. One of my favorite apps is Player For YouTube Pro. After installing last week, it had been working fine until today. Today I'm having trouble loading videos to the player. I'm not sure if the upgrade to 6.0 has anything to do with it. Is anyone here experiencing the same problem with Player For YouTube Pro?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #63
anasilk

Model: 9700
Carrier: Celcom

i found one issue. Memory leak...very fast.. My memory started with 54MB after reboot..keep draining the whole day until 14MB. I disabled the Search Option, now it's better..but still drain slower.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #64
SmoothOperator

Hmm, I never noticed that one. I have the same memory as yours (55 MB), but I twice rebooted when I tried to show a buddy a YouTube video. My YouTube Player Pro was not working, but I still managed to show him the video via standard YouTube App. I tried watching a YouTube video using You Tube Player Pro, but it froze up. I didn't reboot, but the device eventually set itself back to the homepage. I then tried again to watch the same video, but this time with YouTube Player Pro it showed it all without problem. I wonder if this was due to a poor data connection with AT&T, or a lack of memory. Perhaps the memory leak may be a cause of it. If there is one, there doesn't seem to be much of a point to do battery pulls to use the 9700. OS5 browser wasn't as good as OS6, but at least it was very reliable and consistent.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #65
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
I just have a new issue developing. One of my favorite apps is Player For YouTube Pro. After installing last week, it had been working fine until today. Today I'm having trouble loading videos to the player. I'm not sure if the upgrade to 6.0 has anything to do with it. Is anyone here experiencing the same problem with Player For YouTube Pro?
I installed the player on my OS 6 but then I found out that the built in you tube players works fine so I uninstalled this one. Also since 9700 does not have that much of free memory so I did not want to install this since I dont play that much videos. But I did not have any issues, videos played fine.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #66
SmoothOperator

I just did a battery pull and I realized that there is indeed a memory drain somewhere. My free memory is now at 61 MB, and prior to the battery pull I had about 53 MB. I do like the interface to the Player For YouTube Pro, and since I paid about five bucks for the app I intend to keep it. I tried the YouTube app that comes with OS6 and I noticed a slight difference in video quality--does maximum memory help?

Given the memory drain discovery, it may be necessary to do a battery pull after each charge to maximize device memory.

The more I use OS6, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that OS6 is simply not meant for the 9700. Hopefully we can find solutions to help make OS6 work for the 9700.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #67
SmoothOperator

Discovery, folks. When I rebooted the device via battery pull, I checked my device memory and it had 61.4 MB. Watched a video via Player For YouTube Pro and after checking the memory the device memory decreased to 61.3 MB. Watched one more video with the standard YouTube app and it again decreased to 61.2 MB. I turned the phone off and back on, checking to see if it would free up memory, but to my surprise the opposite happened and I now have about 61.1 MB. Rebooted again via battery pull and restored my memory to 61.4 MB. Checked the weather with my WeatherBug app, and checked the memory afterward to find that I decreased to 61.3 MB. Periodic battery pulls coupled with removing excess apps to bare essentials will be necessary to maximize performance with OS6.

By the way, the Player For YouTube Pro ($5) app works noticeably better than with the standard YouTube app that comes with OS6. The paid app works better than the standard free app because the latter has a slight video lag. I'm keeping the app on the device because it's only a 230K app.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #68
timhorton

PIN: ner at 4:20
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQBalla View Post
all my apps work
twitter, facebook, google maps, horoscope, capturit, weathereye.
my favourites stay in the same place.
Let me rephrase...my Weathereye worked but i could not change between city like I could in OS5. The app would freeze when I tried to change the location. I also notice that Globe and Mail app doesn;t work on my phone.

Agreed, the no curser thing in BBM is annoying but it should be fixed in an official release.

Still love it! Universal search is awesome.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #69
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT

Also, I'm going to delete help files to reclaim some extra space. I never had help installed on my devices. I thought I will use some help in new OS but I guess everything was as I guessed.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #70
bbmfreak

Carrier: Warid

Wow I recently installed OS 6 on my BB9700. And its awsome. Great and enhanced.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #71
aregold
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

I agree with most of what others have noticed and love OS 6 in spite of a few annoyances of a leaked version.

A few pointed out the Viigo has a few problems. It is my understanding that Viigo is no longer needed in OS 6 due to the Social Feeds app. I believe that the RSS reader portion is actually Viigo in Social Feeds under the covers (if someone knows differently please correct me). Just enter your RSS feeds once in there and delete Viigo and that frees up quite a bit of memory.

I was a die hard Viigo fan and it has taken a bit of getting used to seeing my feeds in a different format but I like it.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #72
Bravo 2-6
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 22B00410
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Ok so I think I found something, but I'm not sure... I can't send vid or pics by txt / mms anymore... Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #73
SmoothOperator

Default Re: OS6 For The 9700 Review (PLEASE CONTRIBUTE)

I just tried it and MMS worked well for me. I sent pictures to my buddies via MMS without problem.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #74
Bravo 2-6

How did you get to MMS? I can't find it lol I use to be able to with OS5, option doesn't show with OS6 even though I have the plan/feature for it
Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #75
SmoothOperator

Select a picture in your photo album, then press Menu, Send..., then Text Message. A new window will open and ask whom you will send to. You will see the picture you selected on the bottom. Select a contact and then enter text. After you press the enter button the message will send along with the picture.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #76
Bravo 2-6

The option just doesn't show up for me. The only options are:
Email
Messenger Contact
Facebook
Bluetooth

Idk why its not letting me send/recieve picture txts now... Lol
Old 11-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #77
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Since no one was nice enough to provide any feedback, I will provide my own. I could never get either of these two issues to work out. I even wiped my device and resinstalled OS6 fresh (I had upgraded from 5 before) Same two issues.

I went back to OS5 and everything is fine. I will have to wait for an official release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbu1234 View Post
Everything is fine overall. I had to delete a lot of unused apps in order to free up 15MB. I am using a Tmobile 9700 and I upgraded over my previous official Tmobile release, which was the most recent.

Here are my other issues if anyone has a fix for these please PM me.

SocialScope Lite - at first I couldnt get it to scroll around on the feed. After a remove, reboot, and reinstall this has been resolved. However when looking at a tweet/update that has a link I used to be able to "right click" using the Blackberry button and had a menu that allowed me to "Open in Opera Mini" as well as other options like copy, open link, etc. This menu is completely gone. The menu is there on a hashtag though.

Opera Mini - everything is fine except that when moving the browser pointer around using the trackpad it moves in chunks (think of it as skipping). Tried remove, reboot, and reinstall and it did not resolve.

These two are my most heavily used apps and if I can't get these two things fixed I will have to go back to OS5.

Can anyone help me??
Old 11-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #78
saboaua

Carrier: Setar
Talking Re: OS6 For The 9700 Review (PLEASE CONTRIBUTE)

Install the new OS 6 on my bold 9700 any running fine.
  1. Improved and easy to use navigation
  2. Didn't have any issue that others had with the installation or the os6.
  3. Running it already for 3 days and enjoying it

Only issue the youtube video still is not playing on provider network, works on wifi

Step taking for the installation
  1. Made a backup first
  2. Delete every softwate from my computer of Research in Motion and started with clean setup
  3. Remove vendor.xml and the 2 t-mobile files in java folder
  4. Install and click yes for back up and update
  5. Battery pull

Last edited by saboaua; 11-13-2010 at 07:14 AM..
Old 11-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #79
SmoothOperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbu1234 View Post
I was curious and took a peek at my Opera Mini, which I used very often while I was in 5.0. Surprisingly, my browser pointer is smooth.

The problems that arise are odd, because they are not consistent through all 9700's. I suppose that problems differ when people have different carriers.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #80
905er

Carrier: Bell

Hey everyone. Where does one find a copy of this new OS?