Default Interesting Scenario

Please Login to Remove!

So here's what my setup is...

1 BES running on Win2k SP4 on a VMWare ESX box
1 SQL server running outside of the BES server
1 Domino Server running on that same box
6 Domino mail servers running throughout the world
Approx 40 BES users

Everything is going along just fine and all of a sudden people's Blackberrys seem to stop receiving emails. So over the course of the week I reboot the server a few times and it seems to fix the issue temporarily. On Friday afternoon of that same week I finally decide to look deeper into the issue.

I open up VMWare Infrastructure client and load the BES server's console. As I go to maximize, I click the "Revert to Snapshot" button. And wouldn't you know it, it reverts to a snapshot from 3 months prior (when we were putting on the DST patches) without a question or warning.

What do you do now?

That's where I'm at. I got the server up and running again and most people seem to be fine. There are a few users (5-10 users) whos BBs seem to have stopped working so an Enterprise Activation is in order. My question is, what would you have done at that point?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
65shelby
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlj View Post
So here's what my setup is...

1 BES running on Win2k SP4 on a VMWare ESX box
1 SQL server running outside of the BES server
1 Domino Server running on that same box
6 Domino mail servers running throughout the world
Approx 40 BES users

Everything is going along just fine and all of a sudden people's Blackberrys seem to stop receiving emails. So over the course of the week I reboot the server a few times and it seems to fix the issue temporarily. On Friday afternoon of that same week I finally decide to look deeper into the issue.

I open up VMWare Infrastructure client and load the BES server's console. As I go to maximize, I click the "Revert to Snapshot" button. And wouldn't you know it, it reverts to a snapshot from 3 months prior (when we were putting on the DST patches) without a question or warning.

What do you do now?

That's where I'm at. I got the server up and running again and most people seem to be fine. There are a few users (5-10 users) whos BBs seem to have stopped working so an Enterprise Activation is in order. My question is, what would you have done at that point?
FYI - RIM does not support BES on VM.

What version of BES are you running.

What I would have done , since the DB is on another server, is build a physical box 2003 sp2 and install 4.2.3.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
merlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: 2059E07F
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65shelby View Post
FYI - RIM does not support BES on VM.
What version of BES are you running.
Actually, RIM does support BES on VM if your Running 4.1 SP2 or SP3.

As for what I would have done, in our environment (2 BES 4.1.3 servers, 1 SQL server and using Exchange) I would move the users to the second BES and rebuilt the first one from scratch.

With one BES, if it all looked ok, I would probably not do anything and see how it goes for a few days. If necessary, I would shutdown the BES and then rebuild a brand new VM BES - pointing the new VM BES to the previous database should let it pick up all it's settings and users...

Merlin
Old 05-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

Why do you want to "Revert to Snapshot", have you think about the data between 3 months ago and now? The messages link doc will be missing in your BlackBerry state database in Lotus Notes. I hope you have daily backup of the "..\Lotus Domino\data\BES" folder and BESMgmt db.

Be prepare to get calls from your users that they cannot reply or forward messages OR read/unread marks cannot be reconciled etc... (those between 3 months ago and now) as BES will not be able to have a reference to them. Calendar impact I have no ideas, maybe someone here can advise you...

This is the bad part running BES on VMWare, you will always assume that you will never make this mistake of reverting snapshots and have your data all wiped out. Routine backup of BES data may save you, hopefully.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
65shelby
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
Actually, RIM does support BES on VM if your Running 4.1 SP2 or SP3.
I know. he's not running 4.1 sp2 or higher.
Closed Thread