Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Song Dog
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Torch
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Is This Typical For GPS?

Please Login to Remove!

I was at the office and thought I would give the GPS (telenav) a try. I typed in my address and was off on my way. It was dead on all the way there, except: was 300 feet off at my house destination. Is that typical? In town it was right with the curves in the road and such.
Also, as a note I live in the country, would that be the cause of it being off that many feet?

OOPS, needs moved to GPS section. Sorry.

In Christ,

Song Dog

Last edited by Song Dog; 08-17-2008 at 08:14 AM..
Old 08-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

You still had a data connection in your remote area? In order to show location on maps, a data connection needs to continue.

Also, particularly in some rural areas, mapping data can be old or even inaccurate. Actually, for any location data can be off. 300 feet off is not that bad for an actual house location.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel
Default Tele nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song Dog View Post
I was at the office and thought I would give the GPS (telenav) a try. I typed in my address and was off on my way. It was dead on all the way there, except: was 300 feet off at my house destination. Is that typical? In town it was right with the curves in the road and such.
Also, as a note I live in the country, would that be the cause of it being off that many feet?

OOPS, needs moved to GPS section. Sorry.

In Christ,

Song Dog
This is pretty typical with Telenav from what I have seen also. It will get you to the place but sometimes it is across the street and the flag is showing an incorrect location. I use it for work and have found this to be anoying at times. It has actually driven me to make U-Turns in the wrong direction and on the wrong side of the street to get to a location. I have compensated by knowing this as a possible behavior and when I am nearing my destination, I pay attention to the address and know which side of the street I need to look for.
H.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

And sometimes it is the adreesing database the system uses. I know my personal home adress shows in the middle of our block, not on the end where I live. That is a result of the address system used for your area.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

It is typical of all GPS navigation program. Map data is always accurate becaus map makers have coordinates. Addresses are assigned in blocks, such as Street A between B and C has addresses 100-150. Map makers then approximate where a house is by essentially dividing the distance between C and B by the number of addresses. If all lots are not equal in width, errors occur.If the SatNav software can get me on the right street within 300 feet of my destination, I think I can do the rest.

Last edited by CanuckBB; 08-17-2008 at 02:20 PM..
Old 08-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
domenic72
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: 23918503
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
It is typical of all GPS navigation program. Map data is always accurate becaus map makers have coordinates. Addresses are assigned in blocks, such as Street A between B and C has addresses 100-150. Map makers then approximate where a house is by essentially dividing the distance between C and B by the number of addresses. If all lots are not equal in width, errors occur.If the SatNav software can get me on the right street within 300 feet of my destination, I think I can do the rest.
U beat me to the punch!! Was just going to say that it's logically impossible to have every address mapped to the correct coordinates...especially in rural areas where lots sizes vary immensely. I'd be a little disappointed if the gps was off by 300 feet in an urban downtown area but for rural, 300 is better than I'd expect.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic72 View Post
Wirelessly posted

U beat me to the punch!! Was just going to say that it's logically impossible to have every address mapped to the correct coordinates...especially in rural areas where lots sizes vary immensely. I'd be a little disappointed if the gps was off by 300 feet in an urban downtown area but for rural, 300 is better than I'd expect.
There's also a huge difference between the GPS being off by 300 feet and the mapping software being off by 300 feet.

Typically, the GPS accuracy is within 3 meters, per the DOD specifications. If you are triangulating with cell towers, it's even less accurate - generally accurate within the distance from your location to the cell tower to which you are connected.

The mapping software, however, is also subject to accuracy issues, and often times, that alone accounts for the 300 foot discrepancy. On my first GPS, a Magellan, the original software was off by 40 feet e/w, but spot on n/s. I could be driving north or south on a major road and the GPS would show me 40 to the west of the road, but if I were driving east or west, it was dead on. A subsequent upgrade of the maps fixed it.

So the 300 foot leeway could easily be the software, OR the GPS or a combination. You could always verify your location using Google Maps, BB Maps, Windows Live Search in addition to NavTeq, etc. Check the location with various software tools to determine what is really going on. I'd say that if they are all off by about the same amount, the problem could be the GPS... but generally, I'm guessing the inaccuracies are due to the mapping software.
Closed Thread