BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #21
PGChi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMobile

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry mischief007 I just corrected my question above. I meant "I don't like it and I want the handheld to connect automatically with my laptop without prompting me for a connection confirmation." The blackberry does not have a password and reconnection is not asking for password but a connection confirmation
Old 09-29-2006, 05:17 PM   #22
pcouts

Model: 8703e

Is there a way to connect the Verizon Blackberry 8703E via IBM Thinkpad integrated broadcom bluetooth to the desktop?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:38 PM   #23
PGChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcouts
Is there a way to connect the Verizon Blackberry 8703E via IBM Thinkpad integrated broadcom bluetooth to the desktop?
I believe you need version 4.2 of Desktop Manager and handheld software. I am not sure what is your handheld software version.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #24
PGChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGChi
OK So I hope some of you must have set up the BB handheld to sync via BlueTooth to your Desktop Manager. I have it and it works great however I have a small configuration issue here. As is generally the case, if a device is trusted the connection is established without prompting either of the paired device for the counterpart device being in proximity so I was hoping the same here as well. My latop trusts the Blackberry and so does the blackberry that trusts the laptop.
Now consider a case where you temporarily move away from the laptop (carrying the cell phone) so that the device loses connectivity with the laptop. When you return ideally the devices (laptop & HandHeld) should reconnect seamlessly which does not happen and the desktop manager prompts for a confirmation before connection is established. I don't like it and I want the handheld to connect automatically with my laptop without prompting me for a connection confirmation.

Can anyone suggest what do I need to do to trust these pairs? The device properties under Handheld's Options=> BlueTooth=> Device properties has Trusted set to Yes. Same way on Windows XP side the bluetooth setting under Control Panel =>Options=> has "Allow bluetooth devices to connect to this computer" checked.

What am I missing?
Thought I would let everyone know about my communication with RIM. Here's their response.

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry with your Bluetooth-related inquiry.

If I understand it correctly, when you come into range of your laptop with the Bluetooth turned on,. the Desktop Manager would pop a message asking if you would like to connect the BlackBerry. You wanted to get this function turned off so the BlackBerry could just connect and start synching when you came into range of the laptop.

I would like to confirm with you that this is proper functionality for Bluetooth pairing with the Desktop Manager, and there is not a way to turn this functionality off. I've checked for any documentation on this, but there currently is none stating this. Since there is not a function to make the switch, that is why there is none.

What I can do is to put a request in to have this functionality included in an upcoming version of the software. I would recommend to you to do this as well by writing [email address]. The more requests that we have, the better chance there is of getting this implemented.

Thank you for your time,
Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 AM   #25
Maxxodd

Default Agreed

I found this thread by doing a search to figure out a way to do the exact same thing you just described. Thanks for the email link. I have sent a request to be able to sync my blackberry automaticaly without having to click the OK button that pops up in blackberry desktop manager. It seems like a totally useless security measure. Anyway, thanks.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #26
ron.pepper@sympatico.ca
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by douirc
now i see nothing in add/remove programs, but when i first started, there was the WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software installed. Now I have no reference to BT at all, anywhere.

Honestly, I think the only resolution is to format my HDD, and after, install the BT dongle from scratch, this time not using the WIDCOMM installation program. Regardless, I have to point to the WIDCOMM directory when Windows asks for the BT drivers, because that's where they're located. If that doesn't do the trick, I've run out of ideas.

i think because WIDCOMM was installed once, it left some software behind, even after uninstalling, which is affecting Windows' installation. I don't know how else it could be affected.
I am a novice at all this stuff but if you follow Morser's post on Bluetooth Connectivity you will solve your problem. I think you need to add the dongle's Device Hardware ID to the XP's BT driver BTH.inf file. This way the xp BT software will kick in (technical word!!). You do not need the software that comes with the dongle, as a matter fact that's the problem. You want to uninstall that and the driver for the dongle but only after you have read the post, have found the hardware ID of the dongle device in (properties, details) as mentioned in Morser's thread. If you want to save hours follow this post VERBATUM.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #27
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGChi
Thought I would let everyone know about my communication with RIM. Here's their response.

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry with your Bluetooth-related inquiry.

If I understand it correctly, when you come into range of your laptop with the Bluetooth turned on,. the Desktop Manager would pop a message asking if you would like to connect the BlackBerry. You wanted to get this function turned off so the BlackBerry could just connect and start synching when you came into range of the laptop.

I would like to confirm with you that this is proper functionality for Bluetooth pairing with the Desktop Manager, and there is not a way to turn this functionality off. I've checked for any documentation on this, but there currently is none stating this. Since there is not a function to make the switch, that is why there is none.

What I can do is to put a request in to have this functionality included in an upcoming version of the software. I would recommend to you to do this as well by writing [email address]. The more requests that we have, the better chance there is of getting this implemented.

Thank you for your time,
Thanks, I sure will write them. I will also suggest they provide a way to enable Bluetooth connectivity for people not on BES v4 sp3. We should be able to call RIM and they verify we are not on BES, they should then be able to shoot us out a policy to enable all functions. How hard is that?
Old 01-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #28
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Ok, I sent my feelings to RIM via [email address]

Question, how did you write RIM to get technical assistance? I want to ask to have my bluetooth enables.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #29
tysonb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

I sent this to RIM - what I actually want as opposed to just a crude work around that has been talked about; removing the connection request.

I want it such that when my computer an BB are in range to act the way that BES does with full, 2 way OTA sync. Don't shut down my phone with that stupid animation for 2 minutes. Oddly enough, I guess that this is the way that ActiveSync for MS works if you have wifi or BT enabled.

---------
Hello,

I have Bluetooth set up correctly and I am syncing just fine.

I would like it if I did not have to initiate every time, however. Please make it such that:

When I am near my computer with my blackberry, it just syncs with my computer

I am not asking for the xxx8216;would you like to connectxxx8217; message to just go away, I am asking that when I am near my computer, and I have Bluetooth successfully set up, that my system behaves with full 2 way sync, OTA just like as if I was on BES (but not). I donxxx8217;t want my phone to xxx8216;shut downxxx8217; to do the regular sync xxx8211; just BES like sync, automatically, when my phone and computer are in range of each other. Keep the existing parts for adding applications and such, but add this too.

Thanks,

Tyson Baldwin
-----------
Old 06-02-2007, 03:10 AM   #30
craigme

Carrier: TMOB

Does anyone have the exact directions for setting up DM - Bluetooth syncing? The article on the Blackberry.com website is no longer available and I'm unable to find a copy by searching...

blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/1067148/1067313/How_To_-_Set_up_Bluetooth_PC_Connectivity.html?nodeid=1067 250&vernum=0
Old 06-03-2007, 08:38 PM   #31
tsalonia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigme View Post
Does anyone have the exact directions for setting up DM - Bluetooth syncing? The article on the Blackberry.com website is no longer available and I'm unable to find a copy by searching...

blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8021/1067148/1067313/How_To_-_Set_up_Bluetooth_PC_Connectivity.html?nodeid=1067 250&vernum=0
Search for Doc ID KB04132 on Blackberry's Tech Support page. I found it there.
Closed Thread