Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
dominguezh
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular
Default Best BT Headset for the 8700c?

Please Login to Remove!

I know, there are a lot of reviews out there, including this site, on BT headsets. I want to hear specifically from people using theirs on the 8700. I need a solid BT headset. Recommendations? Thanks!

Hector
Old 12-08-2005, 09:52 PM   #2
MegaBit
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I can recommend two Motorola models: The H500 and the HS850. Both connect fast, allow volume control via the 8700c thumbwheel, have decent audio quality, and are comfortable. The HS850 is better due to the folding mic boom/switch and may have an edge in sound quality. But, you can't beat the size of the H500 and the cost is low enough that you don't need to be overly concerned about it. The H500 also charges on any USB cable, just like the 8700c.

I see the new H700 is out and looks pretty tempting to me...

http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/
Old 12-08-2005, 10:07 PM   #3
PowerBook

Model: 8700

I purchased the Motorola HS850 BT headset for my 8700.

Excellent clarity at the office or home, but too sensitive for the car.

For the car, the best choice is the "wired" earbud that comes with the 8700.

R...
Old 12-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #4
luckiweeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I've tried several different BT headsets but I just purchased the Plantronics Discovery 640. A bit pricey at 99.00 but by far this has to be the best headset I've ever owned. It's so loud, you have to lower the headset volume way down. Connected effortlessly with the 8700 and comes with a snazzy case full of extra connectors and ear buds. What I really like about it is that it vibrates strongly when you get a phone call so if it's in your pocket, you definately feel it. Check out the reviews for it at CNET.com.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBit
I can recommend two Motorola models: The H500 and the HS850. Both connect fast, allow volume control via the 8700c thumbwheel, have decent audio quality, and are comfortable. The HS850 is better due to the folding mic boom/switch and may have an edge in sound quality. But, you can't beat the size of the H500 and the cost is low enough that you don't need to be overly concerned about it. The H500 also charges on any USB cable, just like the 8700c.

I see the new H700 is out and looks pretty tempting to me...

http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/
Which BT version does it use?

EDIT: Never mind I Googled and found the answer: From the Moto site

Quote:
• Bluetooth Class 2 for wireless connection up to 10 meters (30 feet)
• Bluetooth 1.2 support for quicker pairing, fewer dropped calls and reduced interference
• Compatible with Bluetooth 1.2- or 1.1-enabled mobile phones, PDAs, PCs, printers and more that support headset and hands-free profiles
Whoo Hoo! I was thinking of ordering the Sony Ericsson, but this is great!

Last edited by AlbertoM; 12-08-2005 at 11:23 PM..
Old 12-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
AlbertoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiweeman
I've tried several different BT headsets but I just purchased the Plantronics Discovery 640. A bit pricey at 99.00 but by far this has to be the best headset I've ever owned. It's so loud, you have to lower the headset volume way down. Connected effortlessly with the 8700 and comes with a snazzy case full of extra connectors and ear buds. What I really like about it is that it vibrates strongly when you get a phone call so if it's in your pocket, you definately feel it. Check out the reviews for it at CNET.com.
I love my 640, but my 8700 and the 640 keep disconnecting every few minutes, then reconnecting - although sometimes I have to reconnect it. Sometimes this happens even when they are a few feet apart. Have you had this experience?

Last edited by AlbertoM; 12-13-2005 at 07:08 PM..
Old 12-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #7
luckiweeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoM
I love my 640, but my 8700 and the 640 keep disconnecting every few minutes, then reconnecting - although sometimes it will reconnect. Sometimes this happens even when they are a few feet apart. Have you had this experience?
Strange...I had the same exact problem that you have when I had the unit on the BB insight icon theme. I tried the BB dimension icon theme and no more problems. It connects quickly and stays connected. The other thing I didn't like about the insight theme is that It didn't show the BT connection status icon on top.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:40 PM   #8
uswest33

Model: 7520

Mark down another vote for the Plantronics 640. It is very loud and clear and fits securely in your ear with the ear gels provided so it doesn't dangle loosely like the Motorola HS850 I used previously. I have had no issues with it thus far. It has been a winner for me.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:52 PM   #9
Number13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t
Thumbs up Motorola HT820

I just purchased a Motorola HT820. This is a combination headphone/headset unit. You can listen to CD quality music with it. (Stereo/16bit/44KHz) You can also use it as a binaural bluetooth headset. It's very well made. Motorola did an excellent job with these. The quality and materials are top notch. The price is right, too. ($85.95) They are not as discreet as a Nextlink Bluespoon 5G but if you listen to music while you work (like me) and you still want to be able to take a call without removing your headphones then this is the headset for you.

Check it out, ya'll! Check it...check it out!

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=124523
Old 12-09-2005, 12:15 AM   #10
dominguezh

Model: 8100c

I read the reviews on the Discovery 640 before I posted the question. My main concern was that it would not work well with the 8700. Thanks for your comments ... I just ordered mine on Buy.com for $75.00 with a $5off coupon. Do a google search for Buy.com coupons. Thanks guys! This site is awesome.

Hector
Old 12-09-2005, 12:37 AM   #11
AlbertoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiweeman
Strange...I had the same exact problem that you have when I had the unit on the BB insight icon theme. I tried the BB dimension icon theme and no more problems. It connects quickly and stays connected. The other thing I didn't like about the insight theme is that It didn't show the BT connection status icon on top.
Hm. I've been using the Dimension Icon theme, but that gives me another aspect to look at. I am going to test it with the BlueSpoon AX, the Moto HS850 to make sure that the 640 is not defective, but I will also switch to the other themes as well.... thank you.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:02 AM   #12
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

On the Insight theme I look for the Blue LED to see if I am connected. On the 640 it seems it is packaged stand alone and with extras like the charger. Has anyone used the battery charger and does it work?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:34 AM   #13
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T

I am going with the Free one, I see it is a Motorola, but I don't see any specifics on the offer. Time is running out to get your rebate in the mail, if you got your 8700 in November.

http://www.blackberryfreeheadset.com/default.htm

Anyone tell what model this is by the picture or find it in the fine print? I looked but didn't see anything.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #14
Zoinks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/5.1.2.9)

On the Insight theme I look for the Blue LED to see if I am connected. On the 640 it seems it is packaged stand alone and with extras like the charger. Has anyone used the battery charger and does it work?
The Plantronics headset works very well with the 8700, just as it did with my old 7100g. The little case they provide with the 640 has all the sundry stuff to charge it from Moto, nokia and other phones.... but no USB. The battery charger works well, although it seems to charge more slowly and you can only get 3 charges per AAA battery.

The sound quality of the 640 is fantastic. It's VERY loud and crisp. Only limit is in the wind where it's basically useless.

The biggest gripe I have with it are that the holster, which you must have to charge the unit and contains the virator, doesn't fit very well. The headset itself tends to pop-out when you have it on your belt and even worse, when you are trying to charge it.

Also, the soft rubber of the ear piece makes it difficult to put in a pocket and gathers lint like crazy.

I've been using the 640 and the Flamingo about 50/50 and I'm leaning towards the Flamingo for daily usage due to the pocket problem.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #15
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

I'd definitely recommend the Plantronics Voyager 510. I've experienced random disconnects but not while actually on a call. The headset and 8700c seem to connect and disconnect for no real reason. I am using the Insight Icon theme so I'll have to give another theme a try to see if it makes a difference in my case.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:19 AM   #16
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (―`·.Έat&tΈ.·΄―)

I use the hs850 as I did for the 7290 as well. Volume issue I had is definitley fixed with the 8700. I'll be trying to get the H700 to try that out as well to see if there is any improvement while in my car with background noise.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #17
MegaBit

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch
I am going with the Free one, I see it is a Motorola, but I don't see any specifics on the offer. Time is running out to get your rebate in the mail, if you got your 8700 in November.

http://www.blackberryfreeheadset.com/default.htm

Anyone tell what model this is by the picture or find it in the fine print? I looked but didn't see anything.
It's the HS820. Here's a review and its also on Motorola's web site:

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp...source=BROWSER
Old 12-09-2005, 10:23 AM   #18
jonnynyc

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBit
It's the HS820. Here's a review and its also on Motorola's web site:

http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp...source=BROWSER

But at the bottom it says with an asterix:
* May not be as shown
Old 12-09-2005, 10:58 AM   #19
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I use a Cellpoint Flamingo and love it. I've used it with a Treo, Pocket PC phone and now my 8700c. I also use the Motorola BT Speakerphone in my car and that works pretty good too.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #20
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

I bought the H500 and I love this headset. Connects perfectly with the 8700, great battery, lightweight, and extremely comfortable. I used to have a Jabra and those things are painful. I prefer the ones that gently sit over the top of your ear, rather than stick inside of your ear. When I am on the H500 the other person on the line can't even tell I am on a headset. And, its affordable!
Closed Thread