Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:32 AM   #41
thriller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100r
Carrier: Rogers
Cool

Please Login to Remove!

report back with your findings from Sling and see what they have to say about it.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:38 AM   #42
ARHYTHMATIK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: T-Mobile

Slingbox is the best thing since sliced bread. It will change your world-- seriously. I just hope Sling can keep up with the technology. It's good their getting the SlingPlayer Mobile out for Symbian users. I just hope they hear us over here and get a Blackberry OS version out... and not a year or two after the 8800 has been released.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:41 AM   #43
ARHYTHMATIK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Sorry to ask the same question again but how can you change channels from a distance with your BlackBerry? Is there an application that installs on your BlackBerry that emulates your remote? Is it browser based?
You can't use the SlingPlayer on a Blackberry yet. That's what we're discussing here. The Slingbox is a box you connect to your home TV and your internet connection at home. It bascially makes your TV signal a streaming video signal that can be accessed on the internet. You have to access it with an application called SlingPlayer (for laptops and desktops) and SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows (and now Symbian) phones. It controls your TV via the internet connection and yes, it is via an infrared connection you put on your TV or DVR that controls the channels.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:15 AM   #44
nbavosa
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

I'm an engineer for a MSO in NJ. We have hundreds of these spread out in the tri state area. If this goes thru it will be a hit in my group.

I vote yes.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #45
NonCom

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackRJack
Sorry to ask the same question again but how can you change channels from a distance with your BlackBerry? Is there an application that installs on your BlackBerry that emulates your remote? Is it browser based?

Thanks,
CRJ
Slingbox uses a reciever application; it functions like a remote control and allows you to change channels. Some Slingbox's have built in tuners (like the Classic and the Pro); alternately some use an infrared module to control physical devices such as cable boxes / dvrs / etc.

I have a Classic and love it. I lament the fact that there is no Blackberry support; perhaps this is related to the fact that Slingboxes utilize a version of WMV encoding?
Old 12-16-2006, 04:36 AM   #46
ARHYTHMATIK
Thumbs Must Hurt

This could be true. But they just released the SlingPlayer Mobile for Symbian OS's so I'm sure it's possible to get something going for the Blackberry OS.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #47
GaryD

Carrier: T-Mo

I also sent an email to Slingmedia (Slingbox) requesting they provide an App for the Pearl but have not heard back! Anyway - I heard that TMO will release 3G speed in the 1st quarter of 07. Hopefully Slingbox support will be released by then as well.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:29 AM   #48
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

1st quarter that's vager are you talking jo average calender year or business calender year

Oct 1 is the start of thr new business year
Old 12-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #49
MSchwade

Model: Pearl
Default Definitely!!

Just got a Pearl and a Sling for Christmas, WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO USE THE TWO TOGETHER!!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 PM   #50
parrishs

Model: Pearl
Default Pearl with SlingBox

I would love to view SlingBox on my Pearl.....

Thanks everyone......
Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #51
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour

I posted a little blurb about my sling experience in the off topic forum but I mean REALLY that thing is a pain to set up. I've pretty much got a basic set up in my house (Apple Airport Router) HD TV/HD Comcast DVR (I Ordered their HD adapter) Blah blah and I couldn't get the slingbox recognized on my mac side (they have a beta version) OR windows (I run parallels) for the life of me. I returned the little bastard and sent their HD thing back to them. I Also think that when you pay 250 dollars it supports HD the connections should be built in not a seperate piece. I might consider one again if it worked on my BB and once the mac is outta beta but for now my ipod video will do just fine...
Old 12-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #52
BMWLotAttendant
Thumbs Must Hurt

What would prevent or hinder Slingbox to make this feature available to the 8800?

Are there any downsides or catches in order to operate this software on the 8800? Cost? Memory size?

I mean, to me, it sounds like an awesome thing to have if you are bored at the airport, especially in DIA (DEN).

I wonder if it is capable of watching movies?
Old 12-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #53
GaryD

Carrier: T-Mo
Default Slingbox & TMO 3G

I'm all for Slingbox support for the 8100! I'll buy it in a flash! Also - TMO is going to move to 3G in the 1st quarter of 07. That's their plan and "it will happen" since they have to maintain competition or lose sales against other carriers. SlingMedia - take heed and "Make it So!"
Old 12-31-2006, 02:08 AM   #54
Berry O Black

Yes EDGE is slower than EVDO, But a BlackBery that would support WIFI and Also Support the Sling Box would be awesome. I know someone who uses the Slingbox with their T-Mobile MDA and it works O.K>But when we switched it to a WIFI network. Bingo Golden Money Time,
Old 01-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #55
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple85
I posted a little blurb about my sling experience in the off topic forum but I mean REALLY that thing is a pain to set up. I've pretty much got a basic set up in my house (Apple Airport Router) HD TV/HD Comcast DVR (I Ordered their HD adapter) Blah blah and I couldn't get the slingbox recognized on my mac side (they have a beta version) OR windows (I run parallels) for the life of me. I returned the little bastard and sent their HD thing back to them. I Also think that when you pay 250 dollars it supports HD the connections should be built in not a seperate piece. I might consider one again if it worked on my BB and once the mac is outta beta but for now my ipod video will do just fine...
It does kill me they don't have an HDMI port on the back of it. That was dumb IMO.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #56
ARHYTHMATIK
Thumbs Must Hurt

There's no way Slingbox will work on the Pearl. Pearl does not support streaming media. That's the only reason it would conceivably work on the 8800-- because it is supposed to support streaming media. But again, there is no SlingPlayer made for the Blackerry OS. Just Windows Mobile and Symbian currently. I've heard of people slinging on EDGE and supposedly it's not too bad, but I've never tried it.

I didn't think the Slingbox was too hard to set up at all, if you just set the ports to 443 then you're good to go anywhere and everywhere.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #57
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARHYTHMATIK
There's no way Slingbox will work on the Pearl. Pearl does not support streaming media. That's the only reason it would conceivably work on the 8800-- because it is supposed to support streaming media. But again, there is no SlingPlayer made for the Blackerry OS. Just Windows Mobile and Symbian currently. I've heard of people slinging on EDGE and supposedly it's not too bad, but I've never tried it.

I didn't think the Slingbox was too hard to set up at all, if you just set the ports to 443 then you're good to go anywhere and everywhere.
I'm not sure that's an accurate statement. With the software currently installed on the Pearl you can't watch streaming media. However, my guess is the only reason the 8800 will support streaming media is because it will incorporate a software update (in comparison to our Pearls.) I'm sure that update will eventually come out for the Pearl at some point too and we'll be able to watch streaming media as well. Our limiting factor is EDGE and we'll just have to see what happens down the road on that.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #58
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

One user in another post reported RadioBee to be working on the 8100.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #59
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yeah, I remember reading that too. I guess I should edit my post and say streaming "video". Although I haven't had time to try RadioBee.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #60
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

Model: 8800
PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Yeah radiobee lasts for second thae you hear nothing
Closed Thread