BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 11:37 AM   #41
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Default

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...inside-new.jpg

Oh, ok. The one with the 8700-similar keyboard vs the Treo-like keyboard. Gotcha. *Wouldn't want to confuse the fan-boys, ya know.*
Both of the new 8800 series have good keyboards, especially compared to the 8700. The Silver Crimson model has keys that appear to be like on a Palm where they are rather domed shaped or convex across the top which make them easy to use. Then the Black Indigo keys seem a bit larger however they appear to be shaped somewhat like the keys on the perl in terms of also having somewhat of a dome shape which makes is so much better than the 8700 which has keys that are flat, tapered, irregular in shape.

So even though both 8800 are narrower than the 8700 they have good keys. I can type much easier on a Pearl than the 8700.

So this is very good news indeed, because if those these pictures are early versions and probably pre-production, it at least gives us and idea and I don't think the keys are something that is going to change much from the pictures.
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #42
DanUC6
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 7130e
Posts: 64
Default

bruce...I have tried for years to beg Sprint to get on the ball...this time I am not asking. I am jumpin to Cingular when this puppy comes out!!! Successes!!!!!!
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #43
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUC6
bruce...I have tried for years to beg Sprint to get on the ball...this time I am not asking. I am jumpin to Cingular when this puppy comes out!!! Successes!!!!!!
You will be very happy with Cingular. I have used them for years, and I travel all over the US, have always had a great signal.
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #44
backbeat
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 8700G
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Both of the new 8800 series have good keyboards, especially compared to the 8700. The Silver Crimson model has keys that appear to be like on a Palm where they are rather domed shaped or convex across the top which make them easy to use. Then the Black Indigo keys seem a bit larger however they appear to be shaped somewhat like the keys on the perl in terms of also having somewhat of a dome shape which makes is so much better than the 8700 which has keys that are flat, tapered, irregular in shape.

So even though both 8800 are narrower than the 8700 they have good keys. I can type much easier on a Pearl than the 8700.
Where have you seen graphics of either/both versions of the 8800 which show the keys in either a 3D or a 3/4 view as to show a degree of taper/chamfer/radius/etc? All pics I've seen, which have been copied to this forum, have shown these 8800 versions in 2D unless I've overlooked them.

Once again, however, comparing a SureType keyboard to QWERTY is apples VS oranges due to the reduction of the number of keys on SureType and the flexible ability to customize SureType keys on a narrow platform. Form follows function.
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:22 PM   #45
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
comparing a SureType keyboard to QWERTY is apples VS oranges due to the reduction of the number of keys on SureType and the flexible ability to customize SureType keys on a narrow platform. Form follows function.
One does not need a 3D view of the device to get a good general idea of keyshape. Notice , no where in the post did it say this is definitive or "FINAL".

Quite to the contrary the post said "APPEARS".

The comparison was apples vs apples, as it's about key shape. Not qwerty vs SureType.

All one has to do is look at a 7290 or 7130c and they both have conventionally shaped keys. Keys that are not part of the "Styling Element" as on the 8700c.

Ease of use of the keys has nothing to do with qwerty or SureType, it has everthing to do with how the keys are shaped. It has to do with whether the keys are designed for effeciencey or style.

Unlike the 8700, the 8800 appears to have a much improved key shape in either picture.
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #46
backbeat
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 8700G
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
One does not need a 3D view of the device to get a good general idea of keyshape. Notice , no where in the post did it say this is definitive or "FINAL".

Quite to the contrary the post said "APPEARS".
To a reasonable person, drawing conclusions does not require the use of the term 'final', whether qualified or not.

Quote:
The comparison was apples vs apples, as it's about key shape. Not qwerty vs SureType.
Inappropriate premise for comparison, as SureType keys do not require similar realestate by its very definition.

Quote:
All one has to do is look at a 7290 or 7130c and they both have conventionally shaped keys. Keys that are not part of the "Styling Element" as on the 8700c.
A pancake VS a standard cellphone formfactor? Seriously?

Quote:
Ease of use of the keys has nothing to do with qwerty or SureType, it has everthing to do with how the keys are shaped. It has to do with whether the keys are designed for effeciencey or style.
Again ... Inappropriate premise for comparison, as SureType keys do not require similar realestate by its very definition.

Quote:
Unlike the 8700, the 8800 appears to have a much improved key shape in either picture.
A 2D shape cannot represent the reality of a 3D device.
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #47
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
DallasFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.666
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 1,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
apples vs. oranges...

To a reasonable person...

Inappropriate premise for comparison...

Seriously?

Again ... Inappropriate premise for comparison...

cannot represent the reality...
Gee, could you muster up any *more* hostility and get any *more* argumentative? Some of us "reasonable people" might actually *appreciate* his observations and find them useful.
__________________
Top 50 Year Win%: Nebraska-.785 tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740
Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The HUSKER Tradition!
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #48
backbeat
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 8700G
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Gee, could you muster up any *more* hostility and get any *more* argumentative? Some of us "reasonable people" might actually *appreciate* his observations and find them useful.
I hadn't made this personal. Why must you? I presented no hostility. One can disagree without being disagreeable, afterall, which I've respectfully submitted here.

So sorry to have interrupted the happy-talk with objective reasoning.
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #49
coreyg510
BBF Veteran
 
coreyg510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost in Translation
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 3,190
Default

Knock it off guys....now.
__________________
He's Back....and better than ever!
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #50
apple85
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: California
Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 730
Default

Uh oh you've got the gecko watching! It's freaking phone and nothing is final until it's shipping! How's that! Would you really buy a phone w/o playing with it at a store anyways and getting a true feel for what it is not what it looks like? (That may be a dumb question but there are dumb people in the world). Let's all play nice and make the Gecko's day a little easier hell it's Saturday!
__________________
"I am always amazed at how these men walk into fires, when the rest of us run from them" - Rudolph Giuliani on Firemen
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #51
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Gee, could you muster up any *more* hostility and get any *more* argumentative? Some of us "reasonable people" might actually *appreciate* his observations and find them useful.
Thanks DallasFlier......you understand my post, perfectly.

I was casually sharing some observations. I appreciate everyones contribution here and I am simply participating.

Since I have 8700c, 7130c and Pearl, I'm just passing on one persons viewpoint. Followed by some personal experience. No sour grapes, or which BlackBerry is better than the others. Just some experiences.

My motivation is to give back in the same positive way, as so many others have here. I have learned a tremendous amount on this Forum and much of it was the result of others posting their opinions and experiences. If it were not for this valuable forum, I would have a lot of unanswered questions.

Finally I find all the BB's quite fantastic, the fact thay we have all the choices in form factor is really terrific.

Cheers...
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #52
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
archer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: California, USA
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple85
Uh oh you've got the gecko watching! It's freaking phone and nothing is final until it's shipping! How's that! Would you really buy a phone w/o playing with it at a store anyways and getting a true feel for what it is not what it looks like? (That may be a dumb question but there are dumb people in the world). Let's all play nice and make the Gecko's day a little easier hell it's Saturday!
Well Said !

It's Saturday and a good one at that!

Cheers.
__________________
My All Time Favorite: _RED-8310_ Backups: 7130c, 8100, O2 8300, at&t 8300, 8700c, 8800, 8820
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #53
backbeat
No longer Registered.
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Model: 8700G
Posts: 555
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
Knock it off guys....now.
Thank you.
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 07:41 PM   #54
infernox
CrackBerry Addict
 
infernox's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern CA
Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 640
Default

I can't wait for this things to come out so I am holding off on the Pearl. Besides the thinner platform, I am looking forward to:

1) UMTS/HSDPA
2) WiFi
3) Multimedia
4) Camera (a bonus if available)
5) microSD card

Man, I am drooling as I type.
__________________
Bold 9700 / v5.0.0.296 / at&t
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #55
apple85
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: California
Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 730
Default

Not to burst your bubble but umm current specs don't have it with UMTS/HSDPA
__________________
"I am always amazed at how these men walk into fires, when the rest of us run from them" - Rudolph Giuliani on Firemen
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #56
africanjustin
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Posts: 18
Default

Is the one that cingular is going to release, going to have a camera?
Offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #57
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
DallasFlier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.666
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T
Posts: 1,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6
Thanks DallasFlier......you understand my post, perfectly.
You're welcome - and your observations ARE appreciated - by most...
__________________
Top 50 Year Win%: Nebraska-.785 tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740
Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The HUSKER Tradition!
Offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #58
brucejr
BlackBerry Master
 
brucejr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Model: 666
Carrier: ?
Posts: 3,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
You're welcome - and your observations ARE appreciated - by most...
Here, Here, I second that archer 6.
__________________
The Purrfect 4
Offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #59
DanUC6
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 7130e
Posts: 64
Default

What are the chances that RIM will decide to have a camera version of the 8800 indigo. I mean if you think about the treo 650 had two versions available, with or without camera. Is it really hard to offer those two options. Is anybody (RIM) paying attention to this request?!??!?!
Offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:18 PM   #60
djsfriendcom
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Model: 8700c
Posts: 6
Default

Any one have a picture of the 8800? If so.. Please send via email or post here.. Also.. doe sit have the camera/video ?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Flash Furniture Newton High Back Mesh Office Chair
$150.07
Flash Furniture Newton High Back Mesh Office Chair pictureAMD Advanced Micro Devices Flash Memory Products Databook Data Book 1996
$7.99
AMD Advanced Micro Devices Flash Memory Products Databook Data Book 1996 pictureSST Silicon Storage Technology Flash Memory Databook 2000
$7.99
SST Silicon Storage Technology Flash Memory Databook 2000 picture2x 1156 3LED Car Tail Turn Reverse Strobe Flash Light Lamp Bulb Red White LM
$1.43
2x 1156 3LED Car Tail Turn Reverse Strobe Flash Light Lamp Bulb Red White LM picture2x 1156 3LED Car Tail Turn Reverse Strobe Flash Light Lamp Bulb Red White LM
$1.43
2x 1156 3LED Car Tail Turn Reverse Strobe Flash Light Lamp Bulb Red White LM picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.