BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Will you keep your current BB or go for the 8800 or iPhone when they come out?
Sticking with my current BlackBerry 72 18.65%
Waiting for 8800/8900 148 38.34%
Waiting for iPhone 90 23.32%
Waiting for both!!! 76 19.69%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #41
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I do not think the iPhone is going to attract any Blackberry users. The iPhone might make a nice phone but that is not the reason most use a Blackberry. I have to read and answer 30-60 emails a day and have no need to listen to music while I do it.

I have no doubt that the iPhone will be nice but it is not going to be atttractive to the business user who considers email important. I put it in the T-Mo SideKick catagory with the Asian cartoons on the home page!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #42
joe allen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

i tried the mac platform when a mac was placed in my office next to my pc's. i gave it an honest chance to perform. the only thing i use it for now is to play music. it does that well.

"Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"
Old 01-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #43
enzee

Model: Curve
Carrier: ATT

It all looks really sexy and I am a rabid Apple user, but without push email, why would I ever leave a BB? If they fix it so that I can get push email on my standard email account, then it is something I would think about.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:59 AM   #44
IanHummel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Personally, I don't understand how this is even a topic of discussion. Users with Blackberry's have email needs. They need the keyboard. THey need the corporate exchange server push. The iphone doesn't even have keys, it has a touchscreen, how are you going to type an e-mail on that? It's a really cool phone for sure, but as long as I need corporate e-mail and a keyboard, I will never think about getting this phone. It looks to me like another expensive Apple toy.

For those with a BB and using it's email function, what do you plan on doing when you get this iphone? How do you plan on using your e-mail? Or do you just have a BB to have one and not use it's primary functions?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #45
stac

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t

For those of you who are haters: you need some mental stimulation so here you go...

Macworld Expo San Francisco 2007 | Apple Booth

As far as those who are decrying the lack of mention for business apps, you need only know that the phone runs the core of OSX, and, therefore, with a UI tweak, the apps can easily be recompiled to work on the iPhone. One app that I would really want to see immediately is the TextEditor (wordpad for those in the windows world)... which would read/edit word docs... the application landscape is limitless with this device, honestly, and with 4gb/8gb of space to roam, I can surely make this my be-all, end-all mobile computing device. Add a bluetooth keyboard, for long sessions and it's like owning pure platinum.

Stac

'This one goes to eleven...'
Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #46
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME
Carrier: Tmobile

i will buy both because im a gadget junkie and it will play nice with my 2macs in the house. im going to be replaceing my sony vaio with a mac pro tower and will run bootcamp to run windows when need. i just get titerd of the viruses and reboots. but the iphone looks hot. i would use it for email and multimedia stuff no phone.. i hate cingular.. so if i can drop a tmo sim in it just for data i will be fine. a 8800 and iphone in my pocket.. go go gadget belt....haha

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #47
562pearl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: pearl
PIN: 23F83543
Carrier: tmob

all i can say i am gonna stick with my pearl and wait for the 8800(camera version) maybe ? i love the form factor of the pearl

and you know the saying "IF AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT" !!!

the bb works very well for me and tmobile has to the best prices and signal strength is great in my area

Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #48
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by stac
As far as those who are decrying the lack of mention for business apps, you need only know that the phone runs the core of OSX, and, therefore, with a UI tweak, the apps can easily be recompiled to work on the iPhone.
I know the Fanboys call anyone who dare say anything negative "haters" as you just did in this post, but I guess you missed this earlier in this thread? From an industry technical analyst who attended the launch and private press briefing yesterday:

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what to make of Jobs' announcement that the iPhone runs "OS X," because clearly it doesn't: It runs a new, handheld operating system with OS X-like elements. I can't figure out how, or if, third-party developers can build additional software for this phone, including the Dashboard-like widgets Jobs was showing off.

This is the "OS X Mini" that T-Mobile CEO Robert Dotson spoke about a few months ago—so it's sad that his forward-looking wireless carrier won't be able to use the phone he envisioned.
iPhone Analysis: Apple's Revolution for the Few

So good luck with all those Mac OS X apps - they'll run just as well on the iPhone as all the WindowsXP apps run on Windows Mobile!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #49
fatman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular
Smile my vote goes to Blackberry 8800

I am a new member here, although I had been reading posts for about a year, and wanted to say hello to everyone.

I own 8700 and an iPod but my interest in the phone is strictly business. I love the iPod and Apple did a really good job with it and perhaps their reputation will continue with the iPhone but all that is in its own place. I would rather stick with the Blackberry as a business tool.

Most importantly, I doubt if enterprises would give up their investment in existing RIM BES infrasturcture; unless iPhone supports BB connect.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #50
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Nope, sticking with the BB. I have done the touch screen phone, and phones with all the "bells and whistles." BB has been there for me even when the times are tough *sniff* . I would love to see a Pearl come to VZW, but am completely satisfied with my 8703e!!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #51
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
i think it looks interesting, however I dont think it will suite my needs. not much mention of a PIM or other business functions. i think this will be a huge hit and become the first smartphone that will adopted by the "dumb masses" in the consumer sector.
Nope. The Sidekick/Hiptop already beat Apple to that market segment by a few years!

And although I gave up on the Sidekick about 2 years ago to come back to a "CrackBerry", because the Sidekick failed to meet a couple of my particular needs, the Sidekick is still a decent device for the consumer market, and it's an especially good choice for people that do TONS of messaging (unlimited text messaging is automatically included in the data plan along with unlimited email and instant messaging), and the deaf/hearing impaired community also finds it uniquely suited to their needs.

But the iPhone is just another one of Apple's attempts to gain more market share in the consumer electronics field. And for me, their efforts are a spectacular failure! My interest in owning an iPhone is so low, it's a negative number! My interest is at about -11 right now!

Remember kids: there's a reason the "CrackBerry" is still the # 1 PDA phone/smartphone choice for the business world! Smartphone? The CrackBerry's a GENIUSphone!

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(
Old 01-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #52
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310

The soft keyboard is going to have to be pretty amazing (and it seems to eat up a lot of the screen) for it to be a worthwhile switch. I've never been happy with any touchscreen solution but Apple might be able to pull this one off. I guess the question is really going to be: how well does it work when people realize that they need to have a screen protector?? ;)

I'm really surprised that there isn't more griping that it's not 3G. It seems like everyone has been harping on the 8800 for that reason but I guess it's suddenly no big deal when Apple makes a flashy presentation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance
But the iPhone is just another one of Apple's attempts to gain more market share in the consumer electronics field. And for me, their efforts are a spectacular failure!
Regardless of whether your needs are met by their products you have to admit that the iPod has been an amazing success. It's just a step away from becoming the word for "mp3 players".

Last edited by takeshi; 01-10-2007 at 05:05 PM..
Old 01-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #53
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

I think its still way too early to tell how the iPhone is going to perform and whether or not it is going to live up to its expectations. It is possible that the touch-screen keyboard could actually work quite well, but who knows until you actually get to play with it.

To be honest, I am not sure what I'm going to do. I was extremely excited for the 8800 and still am, but geez...Apple really just raised the bar.

Put it this way... if it does everything that Apple says it will and does it WELL...it's going to be hard for me to stick with Blackberry.

Let's not forget folks.... Apple has a pretty good history with their products.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #54
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
The soft keyboard is going to have to be pretty amazing (and it seems to eat up a lot of the screen) for it to be a worthwhile switch.
Go to Apple's own online overview of the device HERE and click on "mail" and take a look at the keyboard as it appears on the full sized demo on the screen - when they do a "reply." The QWERTY screen and "keys" are about the same size as my 8700c's keyboard. NOW, think about trying to type on something with keys that small - BUT they're not keys, they're not raised, there's no way to "feel" where one key stops and the next starts, and there's no tactile feedback to know when you've "pressed" a key. OMG, they've got to be kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
I'm rally surprised that there isn't more griping that it's not 3G. It seems like everyone has been harping on the 8800 for that reason...
Don't be silly! Its an APPLE, man! It doesn't have to have up to date capabilities, it doesn't have to be easier to use, its an APPLE!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #55
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzini
Let's not forget folks.... Apple has a pretty good history with their products.
That's right! Remember the Lisa! Remember the Newton! Even, remember the Mac itself - SO successful that over time it has grabbed an impressive 3% or so of its available market!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #56
Rhack9

First of all, hey, I'm a new member. I've been following this thread and others, anxiously awaiting the 8800.

I was amazed/intrigued by the iPhone presentation yesterday, and have a comment about the keyboard. People have mentioned the potential trouble with the touch screen, and I too am skeptical about that. In watching Jobs' keynote I noticed that when typing he held the device in one hand and then typed with his index finger on the other. Compared to a BB, around which you can get two hands and two thumbs cranking, this seems inefficient. Perhaps it was just Jobs' style, but I wonder if the iPhone is just too thin/small to get a good hold on for heavy use. I want a slim and sleek device, but not if my knuckles turn white in trying not to drop it. Of course we won't know for sure until we get our hands on one.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #57
GMK

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Perhaps you haven't heard of Blackberry thumb. Many new users complain of knuckle discomfort due to the constant bending of the thumb joint. It may not be so bad on the 8800 but switching from the 7105t to my Pearl my thumb killed me for the first week. All these phones will have ergonomic issues, at least for awhile.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #58
Rhack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMK
Perhaps you haven't heard of Blackberry thumb. Many new users complain of knuckle discomfort due to the constant bending of the thumb joint.
I understand that typing on any miniature keyboard is going to entail some level of discomfort. I was just pointing out that the standard for typing on BB seems to be two thumbs, while the only example of iPhone typing (Jobs, yesterday) is one index finger. I wonder if Jobs' one-fingered technique is a personal preference or if it is the product of the iPhone's design.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #59
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default Apple Polishing

Terrific launch for Apple, but I too can't see the Iphone touchscreen keyboard working well, or for long. Even if they have made some sort of breakthrough, there will be no tactile feedback. Also, do not count on getting much of an accurate assessment of the thing from the press. Their gushiness over all things Jobs renders them useless when evaluating Apple products. The Ipod is a much buggier, fragile thing than advertised or reported. There is so much effort and energy directed toward flash and buzz, that Apple misses the build mark. Ipods have a very high failure rate. I think that if the Iphone is to deliver, they will have to build much better. What happens if the touch-pad is scratched or smudged? How well will the reported intelligence re: inadvertent touching work? As an aside, I think the Blackberry SureType was a little oversold. It does work, but even as your typing speed increased, all of that screen activity was distracting and I couldn't wait for the 8700 to get back to full qwerty.

The Iphone is thin and I love the landscape! But I hate the pricing, and I hate the over-polished quality of almost every Apple product. If Apple thinks it has another Jobs v Gates on its hands (has there ever been a more smug ad campaign than the current tv post-slacker kewl kid versus the pocket protector nerd?), they will be making a mistake. Windows is formidable because of its indomitable market position and economic muscle. No one loves Windows or Microsoft, so Apple can feel all groovy and hip all the time in relation to Microsoft, and Grandpa Jobs can creep around Macworld in his jeans and black-turtleneck and be treated like a rock star. But RIM partisans LOVE their Blackberry's, and the non-flashiness is part and parcel of their terrific utility. Apple, on the software end is extremely greedy and intrusive. The Ipod tries to infiltrate users PCs and to glom file extensions. I don't imagine Apple will be very liberal in allowing third parties to program for the Iphone, and the whole Apple as gui geniuses is outdated.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #60
stac

Model: 8110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
I know the Fanboys call anyone who dare say anything negative "haters" as you just did in this post, but I guess you missed this earlier in this thread? From an industry technical analyst who attended the launch and private press briefing yesterday:
'Industry Technical Analyst' - what a joke. A guy who graduated from business school who installed XP a few times? Probably. I missed nothing in the thread, thank you. All of the core OSX technologies are part of the iPhone... that being the case, we can expect that by the time the iPhone hits the streets, the thousands of widgets that are available for OSX will work on the iPhone, extending it's functionality a hundred-fold.

'This one goes to eleven...'
Closed Thread