Old 02-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 304AEE5F
Carrier: VZW
Default Replacement Storm STOLEN!?

Please Login to Remove!

So I need some help sorting out my dilemma...
In a nut shell:
1. Call Verizon - Replacement phone to be shipped out 2-18-09
2. Phone arrives on 2-18-09 but no one is home, courier leaves a door tag
3. I sign door tag and leave it out front with a note indicating the package must be left in a secure location and not in front of the house
4. Package arrives at 1:15pm on 2-19-09 and is left in FRONT of the house
5. From 1:15pm to 2pm the package gets lifted from the front of the house
6. Verizon claims no responsibility and expects me to drop at least $300 on a new phone
7. FedEx says I'm SOL and they are NOT responsible for the negligence of their drivers...
8. Filed a police report...probably won't do any good

Moral of the story...door tags are evil...

I was told that there is basically no way someone can activate it on any other account than my own, but what if its unlocked using an unlock code?

How do I make sure I do everything I can to at least get a NEW replacement sent for free, or help authorities track this phone down?

What do I do...I've spent over 3 hours total on the phone with both VZW and FedEx to try and sort this matter out to no avail...any help, insight, or guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

7105t>8320>9530 whats a curve?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
PhalanxPunk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I hate to be the one to say it, but I think you are SOL. The only thing that I can think of would be to file a claim under your homeowners\renters insurance. But that will probably just make your rates go up... Sorry.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
dbower96
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ?

Tough spot. Here is a suggestion:

Contact your local attorney general or corporation commissioner. Someone in their offices generally love these type of little guy vs. big corporation disputes. It is amazing what a little political pressure, and bad press that follows, can do for you.

Also, you can ask Verizon to request proof of delivery from FedEx. I have been told that these "tags" get lost pretty frequently. Essentially, you would be forcing the burden of proof of delivery onto them.

Good Luck!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Mine...

The fact that FedEx stated that they are not responsible for the negligence of their drivers is completely unbelievable to me!

Also, I would push what the last post states with regards to have VZW request proof of delivery. This is just unreal! Sorry man...
Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
DataCentre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

Here in Canada, FedEx and any other type of courier company will leave a door tag saying they were there, and will state when they will be back again to attempt the delivery again. Here they try 3 times to deliver, then after that it gets sent back to the sender.

Most ppl will just leave a note with the courier to leave with a neighbor, and they usually will do that and sign for it.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
rmreid

Same here, in fact when I ordered my Storm on line w/Verizon they said I had to sign for it or that it wouldnt be left by Fed-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataCentre View Post
Here in Canada, FedEx and any other type of courier company will leave a door tag saying they were there, and will state when they will be back again to attempt the delivery again. Here they try 3 times to deliver, then after that it gets sent back to the sender.

Most ppl will just leave a note with the courier to leave with a neighbor, and they usually will do that and sign for it.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
dbower96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmreid View Post
Same here, in fact when I ordered my Storm on line w/Verizon they said I had to sign for it or that it wouldnt be left by Fed-X
On FedEx's website, you can track the package, and download the door tag to instruct the driver to leave the package.

I was told the same thing by Verizon, but I see having to stay home to wait for my new toy a perfectly good reason to call in sick! LOL!

lambdacoreaz - How goes the fight?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

As of now...to update you all...

The driver has confronted the situation with a statement claiming she saw someone get out of a black car, pick up the package, and take it into the house.

She described my roommate...

The story seems solid, but what if he was there and she just so happened to pin it on him and take the phone...

Those are two probable scenarios...someone stole it...I'm about to find out who...

I'll keep you guys updated

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support...its truly appreciated

Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
Tri-Tip

Model: 9650

Once you report it to Verizon as stolen, that ESN can not be activated again with any carrier, at least in the USA.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask

Please give us an update. And what are you gonna do about getting another one?

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #11
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

I am surprised FedEx allowed you to sign the tag. Mine was attempted once and I was left a note advising me it had to be signed for.

The next day I went to Fedex and was told the package was in the field, I went home and met the driver at my door!

NEVER sign that slip and ask for expensive items to be left at your door. Your case is a fine example of what happens if you have an theif in the neighborhood or a roomie who might steal from you. I am not saying your roomie is a thief but it's a possible scenario.

Always check the box that you want it held at the local Fedex office and go pick it up.

Verizon 9530
Old 02-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #12
PHLAK

@lambdacoreaz - First off, sorry to hear about your situation. Secondly, I LOVE YOUR USER NAME! I'm a big Half-Life fan and live and grew up in Phoenix. Haha.

Anyway, good luck with the case.

My BlackBerry Storm Wallpapers
Old 02-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #13
dbower96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just wanted to add a little more info that might help you...

I ordered my Storm on Thursday, but to make a long story short, Verizon screwed up and it didn't get delivered on Friday as promised. So, I am awaiting delivery on Monday. I am not going to be home on Monday until late in the afternoon, so I called both Verizon and FedEx to arrange for the package to be picked up at the FedEx Service Center. Neither Verizon or FedEx were unable (or unwilling) to do it for me. Their claim is that they must try to deliver it to the house before I can pick it up at the distribution center. FedEx kept telling me that it has to be signed for in person, with one attempt made at the house first even though I tried to explain to them that I was trying to save them the hassle of anything going wrong, the waste of gas, and labor to go through the entire delivery process.

This information could play to your advantage since you did not receive the package, and no one really signed for it at the time of delivery. If ther are handling every customer in America differently than you, you should have enough of a wedge to get them to make you happy and replace the stolen phone since they didn't follow the explicit instructions of the shipper.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post
Once you report it to Verizon as stolen, that ESN can not be activated again with any carrier, at least in the USA.
Sure it can be used unlocked on T-Mobile or AT&T who do not use an ESN #.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #15
ScottRPriester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: STORM
Carrier: VERIZON WIRELESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdacoreaz View Post
6. Verizon claims no responsibility and expects me to drop at least $300 on a new phone
Why should they be responsible?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
ubercai

Carrier: Bell

dude, things like this, u need to be cautious about. i ordered 2 lenovo thinkpads last year, the earlier one was sent home, ****ing UPS left it on front door, mom got home saw it, took it inside, but holy shit anyone could just lifted that. second one i got smarter, tell them to ship to the other apartment i live in, so they left a note, i called in explicitly asked for a pick up by myself in their local locations.

even in canada, i always pick up these stuff from postal office or FedEx or UPS local offices. easiest way.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #17
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks again for all the support...So far I've learned a lot from just opening up this thread...

As far as my situation goes, it seems to be hopeless yet. But to update you all:

My roommate claims to have an alibi as to where he was at the time the package was delivered. As you can see I have quite a dilemma, he has a receipt that shows his whereabouts at 1:05pm but nothing after that, yet he claims to have been grocery shopping until 2pm, and the package was delivered at 1:17pm.

Now I know FedEx thinks they are not responsible, but there is certainly something fishy going on and technically, it is their responsibility to ensure the safety and delivery of their product. In response to dbower, I think it all depends on the rep you get; one can authorize a different type of delivery than the other. In my case I was authorized for direct signature delivery as well as indirect signature delivery...

Now Ixxx8217;ve lived with this guy for 2 years and if he were to steal a package now, it would be kind of weird when hexxx8217;s had the opportunity to do it several times before, and on similarly expensive stuffxxx8230;

Ixxx8217;m going to have to put pressure on both FedEx and my roommate at the same time to actually get some truth out of this whole thingxxx8230;I'm still in between truths and it could either be the driver or my roommate...I will be scheming up a plan, and I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Now that it has been brought to my attention that ESN is not an issue when dealing with carriers outside of VZW, then this worries me.
One question I have is if I contact AT&T and T-Mobile, can they flag the ESN even though they donxxx8217;t activate via ESNxxx8230;because they still have access to that information donxxx8217;t they?

Old 02-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

::UPDATE::

So after an hr phone call with FedEx and talks of a lawsuit, and another hour call with Verizon, I got a new phone on the way, and FedEx put in the claim so no one loses but the guy who stole the phone because now, all it can be used for is a paper weight...or at least in the US...Verizon apparently has this program where they can disable the phone internally upon initally turning it on...something like that

so i guess it all works out in the end, thanks again to everyone who helped out!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
fowlstack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Great lamb..... Sometimes the good guy does indeed come out on top!!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:53 AM   #20
RBernier
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataCentre View Post

By signing the door tag, you are authorizing Fed-X to leave the package (not hand it to a person). That's the risk you take when you don't want to be inconvenienced by having a person available to accept a $600.00 phone.
Closed Thread