Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
JNWFLY1

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm or Omnia

Please Login to Remove!

I've read some very useful posts comparing the Samsung Omnia to the Storm. I purchased the Storm, found that I liked most features, but was really annoyed by the fact that if I put my ear to close to the screen when on a call, the screen "clicked" and either disconnected the call or went to a different screen (depending on where my ear hit). Having always been a win mobile user, I purchased the Samsung Omnia. I don't think it is as user friendly, especially the small virtual keyboard, which requires a stylus (that Samsung has on a dongle rather than in the phone-great way to get "poked" in the pocket) if your fingers are even somewhat larger than a petite woman. The camera, while nice, isn't a main deal maker or breaker. I use the device for phone calls, e-mails and internet access (in that order). I use a few applications that are available on for both devices so that isn't an issue now (although possibly in the future). I would love an IPhone but my company uses Verizon, so that's not an option.
In any event, I've got to send one phone back by Friday and I'm looking for thoughts, advice or any information to help me decide one way or another.
Thanks
JNWFLY1
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
grasshopper

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I would keep the storm. I know what you mean about the screen swapping because it happens to me as well. I have also learned how to use the menu button to reactivate the screen after one of these episodes (just choose Hide Keyboard). Lastly - using your other ear will prevent the event from occurring.

Regards,
TC

Last edited by grasshopper; 04-12-2009 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Typos and new content
Old 04-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
gtd3m0n

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon
Thumbs up Storm Ftw

I paid retail for the omnia and had it for 2 weeks. UI is horrible and there is no back button. Click on the x to close the window does not close the program, you have to go to running process and close all the programs down 1 by 1. Syncing files from the computer is a nightmare too. I returned the omnia and bought the storm retail and must say OVER ALL the storm is awesome.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
EBlanco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9350
Thumbs up

There is a free program out there called TalkLock, that when you are on a call, it locks the screen so you cannot press the screen with your face by mistake. It works wonders
I spent the first two weeks with the Storm hanging up on people, switching to speaker mode, and muting the call. I was very frustrated with the phone until the program came out.

You should check it out!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Kermit831

Model: 9530
Default Slight Edge to Storm

I have used both. Started out with a Storm in November 08, got tired of trying to install BPS with my Small Business Server, and dumped it for an Omnia in middle of December.

The Omnia is a nice little phone - but the UI is very limited. I tried Winterface and SPB Mobile Shell as "launchers" but nothing real seemed to fit well.

I just (last week) switched back the Storm. Don't get me wrong, it has its problems, but since I found Astrasync and I can get my exchange mailbox synced with my Storm - I'm happy.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
JNWFLY1

Model: Storm
Default Thanks for all the help

Thanks to all who responded to my questions. I will check out TalkLock as soon as I finish this e-mail. That may solve my biggest frustration with the Storm and make it a keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBlanco View Post
There is a free program out there called TalkLock, that when you are on a call, it locks the screen so you cannot press the screen with your face by mistake. It works wonders
I spent the first two weeks with the Storm hanging up on people, switching to speaker mode, and muting the call. I was very frustrated with the phone until the program came out.

You should check it out!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
mrf30
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBlanco View Post

You should check it out!
where do you find it for free? i just downloaded storm lock trial and i thought i saw the talklock was 2.99 not like 3 bucks is a big problem but hey free is better!
Closed Thread