BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Will you keep your current BB or go for the 8800 or iPhone when they come out?
Sticking with my current BlackBerry 72 18.65%
Waiting for 8800/8900 148 38.34%
Waiting for iPhone 90 23.32%
Waiting for both!!! 76 19.69%
Voters: 386. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #61
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Typing on a touch screen keyboard is horrible! It is intollerable even on my 12 inch tablet PC.

The iPhone is a slick looking device but it will not replace any Blackberry
Old 01-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #62
stac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
That's right! Remember the Lisa! Remember the Newton! Even, remember the Mac itself - SO successful that over time it has grabbed an impressive 3% or so of its available market!
Oh, and now you're a Newton Hater as well? Don't go there... there are Newtons still in use all over the place - how many technologies from eight years ago are still in use everyday? The fact that we are even still talking about Newton technology after all these years is a testament to it's greatness. People still want them, and pay more for them on eBay than people pay for yesterday's smartphones.

'This one goes to eleven...'
Old 01-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #63
hooba
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7730

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUC6
Blackberry your going to need to do something drastic!!!!

maybe it will have an advanced typo sensor to determine the difference between your and you're.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:31 PM   #64
untjoker

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzini
I think its still way too early to tell how the iPhone is going to perform and whether or not it is going to live up to its expectations. It is possible that the touch-screen keyboard could actually work quite well, but who knows until you actually get to play with it.

To be honest, I am not sure what I'm going to do. I was extremely excited for the 8800 and still am, but geez...Apple really just raised the bar.

Put it this way... if it does everything that Apple says it will and does it WELL...it's going to be hard for me to stick with Blackberry.

Let's not forget folks.... Apple has a pretty good history with their products.
I have to agree. I will say however that once I get a best skins ever shield on taht screen we'll see how well it performs. Also, not sure how typing a full email messing/texting is going to work with that touchscreen. Jobs said it will know the difference between a touch and an accidental touch. I'd like to know how that's possible but only time will tell. All in all I am amply excited about the iphone, but at the end of the day The Blackberry 8800/8900 is probably going to take the cake for us serious users who need guaranteed access to email and other apps. But I could be proven wrong. For the first time I actually think the Blackberry has a viable competition product though...which is saying a lot. I've been die=hard Blackberry for a while....
Old 01-10-2007, 03:37 PM   #65
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by stac
Oh, and now you're a Newton Hater as well? Don't go there... there are Newtons still in use all over the place - how many technologies from eight years ago are still in use everyday? The fact that we are even still talking about Newton technology after all these years is a testament to it's greatness. People still want them, and pay more for them on eBay than people pay for yesterday's smartphones.
ROFL! Are you REALLY going to try to go there and claim that the Newton was a success? You're really hurting your credibility at this point, even your beloved Steve Jobs has admitted it was a failure and a mistake for Apple! People pay good money today for a running Ford Edsel too, but I'll give you a hint - its not because its revered as a wonderful car to drive today, but as a collector's item AND because due to its dismal failure in the market, there are SO few of them out there - you know, kinda like a Newton. So I guess you'd argue that the Edsel was ALSO a resounding success, just like that wonderful Newton? LOL, that's rich!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #66
hnwosu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

First off, I'm glad all the old head members are staying true to the Berry,

Now, the iPhone is slick we all know that, but people come on, don't get lost in the hype. First, Apples, so called "innovation" of the full screen phone is not really an innovation, they just released it first. Note the following..

Nokia's aeon "full surface screen" cellphone concept - Engadget Mobile
The BenQ-Siemens Black Box concept phone that never was - Engadget Mobile

Not to mention it is basically just just similar to a MDA without the keypad or any other Smartphone. Right?

In the end it is a video Ipod with the abillity to to make phone calls. You still cannot change the battery, so sooner or later that will crap out. Wow, it has Wi-Fi, so does every new phone on the market these days. Interesting it can read email...what can't? Question is who can read it better than a Berry? No one.

No expandable storage...I know it has 4gb+ on board, but I want some sort of portabillity.

I really don't think its 5 years ahead of its time. Maybe several months. In the end the device is hot, but not worth $500+. Don't get fooled by Apple, their marketing team is genious, but it takes one to know one.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #67
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

While you do not think the iPhone is worth $500, it will sell like hot cakes. I hate to think waht Cingular deal was to have this as an exclusive but there is LOTS of money for both Cingular and Apple for the iPhone sales.

I predict it will be a huge success!

BUT it will not replace a Blackberry, maybe a SideKick, but NOT a Blackberry!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 01-10-2007 at 06:27 PM..
Old 01-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #68
bsic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Come on guys, be objective, there is a long history of good delivery, and innovation from apple. iPod is extrememtly successful not because it was first to market, or has new features-- its because of the solid stable engineering, and great user experience/ease of use, without sacrificing functionality. Same goes for the Mac's, which are gaining marketshare bigtime now that peoples eyes are opened to it. Apple simply makes great technology, for a steep price. They make a good product, and they *should* demand a fair price for it.

RIM has a definite niche in business segments.. and iPhone CERTAINLY wont take that away. Many corporations standardize on BB's and this isnt going to change.

That said, the iPhone is a KILLER consumer product at first glance, but no one will be sure until they test it themselves and read reviews. Dont criticize people for liking what they see in a product just because its not RIM made.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #69
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsic
That said, the iPhone is a KILLER consumer product at first glance, but no one will be sure until they test it themselves and read reviews. Dont criticize people for liking what they see in a product just because its not RIM made.
Your *OPINION* is that its a "KILLER consumer product" and my opinion happens to be that its not and that it has a number of very serious flaws. You say don't criticize people for liking what they see - don't criticize people for NOT liking what they see either - neither opinion is any more valid than the other.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #70
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
ROFL! Are you REALLY going to try to go there and claim that the Newton was a success? You're really hurting your credibility at this point, even your beloved Steve Jobs has admitted it was a failure and a mistake for Apple! People pay good money today for a running Ford Edsel too, but I'll give you a hint - its not because its revered as a wonderful car to drive today, but as a collector's item AND because due to its dismal failure in the market, there are SO few of them out there - you know, kinda like a Newton. So I guess you'd argue that the Edsel was ALSO a resounding success, just like that wonderful Newton? LOL, that's rich!
The irony is simply delicious that you make vain attempts to ridicule and belittle, yet claim (in your post above) that your little opinion is only as valid as the next. Yum!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #71
9thfloormaniac
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30CB26D1
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooba
maybe it will have an advanced typo sensor to determine the difference between your and you're.
That was a good one!!! You didn't have to kill him like that did you? lmao
Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #72
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
The irony is simply delicious that you make vain attempts to ridicule and belittle, yet claim (in your post above) that your little opinion is only as valid as the next. Yum!
Not ridiculing and belittling, just stating facts (and correcting incorrectly stated facts.) Whether or not the iPhone will be successful and HOW successful it may or may not be can be nothing but *opinion* at this point - its the future, it hasn't happened yet, we're all "predicting."

In contrast, the market failure of the Newton is fact - documented historical fact (and Mr. Jobs has stated as much publicly - that Apple had to admit it was a market failure.) Major difference there, wouldn't you say, between predicting the future and presenting documented historical facts of the past?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #73
GrayPenguin

Model: 8100
PIN: 23EAF79C
Carrier: Cingular

Id just like to say that there's no way that this will compete with corporate bb users for phone choice.

that being said, the iPhone will dominate in the consumer media-crazy market. Im pretty much saying this out of personal experience, still being in high school. When i got my pearl, everyone in my class was liek "umm...whats that?" and didnt really care that much. Yet today, just about everyone in my class already knew about the iPhone. I can pretty much guarantee that they will all get one too (most of them are rich kids...meanwhile im paying for my own data plan and bought my pearl...) Anyway im kinda glad i have my pearl cuz i dont want to have the phone that was cool at first but then wasn't after everyone and they're dog got it (RAZR.)

When they come out with an iPhone with 3G and at least 20GB, i'll consider buying.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #74
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Not ridiculing and belittling, just stating facts (and correcting incorrectly stated facts.) Whether or not the iPhone will be successful and HOW successful it may or may not be can be nothing but *opinion* at this point - its the future, it hasn't happened yet, we're all "predicting."

In contrast, the market failure of the Newton is fact - documented historical fact (and Mr. Jobs has stated as much publicly - that Apple had to admit it was a market failure.) Major difference there, wouldn't you say, between predicting the future and presenting documented historical facts of the past?
What you state below is not a simple presentation of the facts. You malign and belittle the person you were replying to. That person was not attempting any argument that the Newton was a raging market success, only that the product had/has proven to have technical merit. Yet, you want to have it both ways by separately claiming that all opinions have equal merit.

Quote:
Old 01-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #75
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
What you state below is not a simple presentation of the facts. You malign and belittle the person you were replying to.
:shrug: Your opinion. And the person I was replying to was the SAME person who FIRST said:
Quote:
For those of you who are haters: you need some mental stimulation so here you go...
and...
Quote:
'Industry Technical Analyst' - what a joke. A guy who graduated from business school who installed XP a few times? Probably.
and...
Quote:
Oh, and now you're a Newton Hater as well?
So as for "maligning and belittling vs simple presentation of facts" the phrase comes to mind, "The pot calling the kettle black" except in this case its "friend of pot" but I'm sure he appreciates you coming to his defense.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #76
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
:shrug: Your opinion. And the person I was replying to was the SAME person who FIRST said:

and...

and...

So as for "maligning and belittling vs simple presentation of facts" the phrase comes to mind, "The pot calling the kettle black" except in this case its "friend of pot" but I'm sure he appreciates you coming to his defense.
It's not his defense I'm addressing, is it?

/unsubscribed
Old 01-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #77
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Geeze, this thread has turned into a train wreck.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #78
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Wow, its amazing where this thread has gone!

I think that all of us need to take a step back and realize that the iPhone has NOT come out yet, so we all need to give it a fair shot and wait until we actually get a chance to get this thing in-hand!

For those of you saying Apple doesn't put out good products - Say what you want, but Apple has dominated the mp3 market and is clearly doing things right. You can say that their products have flaws, but at the end of the day consumers who decide to make the purchase are the ones speaking. And many many many many people have made the decision to buy iPods. While I personally don't think its a "God-Sent" product, it is cool and sure as heck does look pretty neat compared to many mp3 players on the market today.

The iPhone will, in my predicition, BOOM with sales when it hits Cingular in June. I love Blackberry and I've been a long-time dedicated user and fan, and I am not going to be one that pre-emptively jumps ship to the iPhone. However, with that being said, I AM going to give the iPhone a shot when I get it in my hands and get a chance to play with it. My biggest concern is how this touch screen keypad is going to work. But, if it works, and the iPhone works as smoothly as the demo on Apple's website, I gotta say.... they've sure hit the mark. But, I'm not going to stick with blackberry just because its a blackberry. I am going to go with whatever device performs the best and packs the most features in.

I sure have a special place in my heart for blackberry though, and the iPhone is sure going to have to be pretty amazing for me to make the switch.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #79
BMWLotAttendant
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mack
Geeze, this thread has turned into a train wreck.
Does that mean that this iPhone is a big deal?

Is it a love it hate it type product?

I think if BB forum memebers are analyzing this phone forwards, backwards, up and down, writing about their own impressions of what they think about the phone and what will happen in 6 months and THINKING of buying it or worse switching over, then it has to be a big deal.

Apple is going to take all that they can get, it may be not many, or it may be a ton of revenue from this product. Time will tell.

Personally, I think Apple fan are emerging out of the Blackberry bushes. I'm not saying that most will switch over, but some will seriously consider purchasing this product for one reason or another in the future.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #80
samdman

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Newbie here, anxiously awaiting the 88-8900. No interest in the Apple "phone". It looks like an interesting toy but it seems like Blackberry users tend toward more practical products. No slam on Apple but I'm in real estate and use the 7100T all day every day and don't need to watch movies or listen to music on my phone. I prefer a big flat screen and a stereo for those things, thanks. I bought my girlfriend a video Ipod last Christmas and my concerns about the iPhone as a daily driver stem from that. A lot of times her Ipod is just a paper weight. It just stops working...for a long enough period that she just puts it down and walks away. So far the battery hasn't died but it's sealed in there just like on the iPhone. Trouble waiting to happen. I can't have my lifeline to the world stop working. The touchscreen typing I can't imagine. I recently tested the T-Mobile Dash, which I really rather liked. Except that that they have a totally silly "touch" volume control on the side of the phone that is pretty much uncontrollable. We'll have to wait and see what real users have to say when the phone actually comes out but I won't be one of the ones plunking down $500 regardless.
Closed Thread