BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 07:00 AM   #1
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo
Default [Old 2004 Thread] Bad news for those expecting to see more Bluetooth profiles.

Please Login to Remove!

My initial findings seem to point to the sad news that the Bluetooth hardware is hardwired to the audio circuitry. That would mean that the Bluetooth chip is only capable of doing handsfree and NOTHING else.

I'll try and post some photos of this later, also; the hardware volume control ALSO controls the bluetooth volume, something i've never seen before, and also confirms that the bluetooth chip is hardwired to the audio.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:34 AM   #2
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

What other profiles would you want with the BB?

OBEX? A little insecure at this point. Wouldn't it be better for RIM to have OTS with an application that uses the modem already built into the BB like BES? Desktop BES?

With BlueSnarffing working at distances of up to 1 mile the possibility of secure data being lifted is becoming quite real.

I would expect to see other future phones have the ability to single out / turn off various BT features like OBEX to protect them.

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 10-04-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
red_LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
What other profiles would you want with the BB?

OBEX? A little insecure at this point. Wouldn't it be better for RIM to have OTS with an application that uses the modem already built into the BB like BES? Desktop BES?

With BlueSnarffing working at distances of up to 1 mile the possibility of secure data being lifted is becoming quite real.

I would expect to see other future phones have the ability to single out / turn off various BT features like OBEX to protect them.
What is OBEX?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:16 PM   #4
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

OBEX means Object Exchange protocol.

For example OBEX allows objects such as vCard contact information and vCalendar schedule entries to be exchanged using either IrDA or Bluetooth. Think wireless BT sync.
The other acronym OTS (or OTAS) means over the air syncronization. In case you wanted to know.

Old 10-04-2004, 06:21 PM   #5
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

One other protocol that is disabled is Serial mode... which is used for Bluetooth modem and sync operations.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I need Bluetooth folding keyboard capability:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=253

As I am hearing impaired, I have no use for Bluetooth audio.

I don't think it is easier to bluesnarf keyboard transmissions than bluesnarf audio headset transmissions .... so I would hope RIM would consider this support, once it is certified to be fully secure?
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-06-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
jeffmcclan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
One other protocol that is disabled is Serial mode... which is used for Bluetooth modem and sync operations.
It is not that Bluetooth protocols are "disabled". Instead, BB has only written two Bluetooth software profiles (handsfree and handset) apparently due to security concerns.

A Bluetooth Dial Up Network (DUN) profile is needed for a notebook to connect via the 7100t's modem wirelessly (you can apparently connect a notebook to the 7100t's modem via USB cable today - see post in other thread). For Bluetooth keyboard functionality, BB would need implement a full HID Bluetooth profile. A serial profile allows for wireless synch'ing as indicated above. I believe that only a little software work would be needed to enable Bluetooth keyboard support if BB deems security OK.

I'm coming from a PocketPC / Nokia 3650 combination in which I had Bluetooth modem, sync, keyboard, handsfree, and headset support. Please keep in mind that Bluetooth is a point-to-point protocol and thus only one connection can be active at a time.

I understand that the Serial and DUN profiles could cause security issues. However, I believe BB could implement a HID profile for keyboard support with minimal risk (or offer users the option to enable the profile). This would allow users to use a full size keyboard when needed for long emails. Finally, bluetooth modem support really isn't needed assuming we can connect via USB. (I'll confirm upon receiving my 7100t on Friday.)
Old 10-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #8
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

jeffmcclan, it actually looks worse than just disabled profiles, my initial findings make it look like the BT hardware simply isn't wired up enough to do more than audio.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
jeffmcclan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOObydoo
jeffmcclan, it actually looks worse than just disabled profiles, my initial findings make it look like the BT hardware simply isn't wired up enough to do more than audio.
The Bluetooth radio in the 7100t must be connected to GPIO lines in order to control the CPU (you can push a Bluethooth headset button to answer a call). The GPIO connections could be made directly to the processor or through any other device (ie. audio device). The hardware connection should not affect/prevent other Bluetooth profiles as long as the Bluetooth radio has a CPU interface/control.

One question concerning your "findings", are you looking at the publicly available PCB photos or have you taken apart a 7100t or have access or BB schematics?

Disclaimer - I don't have any knowedge of the 7100t design but have worked on multiple generations of PocketPC designs.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

One other thing, when I use the bluetooth with my 300C, the phone number will come up on the screen as well as Battery life and signal strenght.... So that tells me that there is more than just tha audio peice hooked up..

I have a 7520 BTW
Old 01-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #11
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

That happens in my Siemens kit with the 7100 as well.... But of course no phone book connectivity... I can see caller ID (The phone number itself in the display) but no access to the BB other than audio.

The 7100 and 7520 are having issues with the Siemens kit... The callers get wicked echo (like the reports with the HS850 headsets)... sounds perfect on my end. My Nokia 6620 is pristine for caller and myself so again it seems there is some compatibility problems.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Good news.

The Bluetooth stack is going to be opened up sometiem in middle of 2005. There will be security features that allows Bluetooth functionality to be turned off via the BES, in order to keep government customers happy. This may be a default setting.

However, this will enable GPS, keyboards, and other Bluetooth accessories by the end of 2005 hopefully. And maybe addressbook synchronization (although RIM will be VERY reluctant to add that -- however, signed API's do exist for this)
Old 01-20-2005, 01:19 AM   #13
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wonder if they'll fix the echo issues before they open the stack up?? Hmmm, hopefully...
Old 06-02-2005, 07:22 PM   #14
BlueLake

Model: 7250

Thank you, Mark.. Can you tell me where did you get this information? I would love to be able to use the bluetooth OBEX on my BB exchange pic., and other stuffs.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #15
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

As far as I know from all sources of rumors throughout all the BlackBerry Internet websites on the Internet, as well as public postings by companies...

Bluetooth keyboard: Already out.
Bluetooth GPS: Keep tuned.
Bluetooth tethering: Still up in air, but not ruled out.
Bluetooth OBEX: Never.
Bluetooth proprietary encrypted sync over SPP: Possibly.

It's a really gradual thing. Anything that passes security muster, will definitely be considered "eventually". As long as governments, etc, aren't affected.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 06-03-2005 at 12:26 PM..
Closed Thread