Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra
Angry Discovery 640 mini-USB adapter

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone find a decent way to buy this thing? This is the adapter that allows a Plantronics Discovery 640 bluetooth headset to be charged using a mini-USB cable.

It's not that I can't find a website that sells it. But it sells for about $8 and then typically another $8 for shipping! Getting close to $20 for a stupid little piece of plastic that should have been included in the kit in the first place!

I can live with the price of the unit, but the shipping price pushes it over the edge for me. Anyone find an actual store that sells these things? Or else, a website that has free shipping?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Where have you seen it for sale for $8?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
kjaslow

Looks it was $8.99 (Buy.com)
Old 01-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
lgreenberg

Anywhere in stock?
Old 01-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
Anywhere in stock?
All - take a look at this:

http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/produc...ERY640-USBCABL

It says this cable works with the 640, which implies you don't need to purchase the USB mini-adapter (looks like you just plug it into the bottom of the 640 Headset Carrying Pocket, just like the AC Adapter that comes with the unit). This could be an attractive solution if you don't already own a mini-usb cable. Plus, you don't have to attach another one of those silly 640 adapters.

Is that the way others see it?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
lgreenberg

I'm not sure the above charger makes sense.

The whole point of getting the mini USB adapter is so that one can charge the headset with the same charging cable used to charge the Blackberry itself, thus eliminating one charger you need to bring with you on trips etc.

Anyone that has the Blackberry has the mini USB charging cable already since that's what comes with the Blackberry for charging.

If you purchased the cable you've shown you'd then have to also purchase a ac adapter to charge with (unless you plan to charge the headset off your computer's USB ports.)

Something like this

Again, you'd then be carrying two charging cables.

Hope this made sense.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #7
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I'm not sure the above charger makes sense.

The whole point of getting the mini USB adapter is so that one can charge the headset with the same charging cable used to charge the Blackberry itself, thus eliminating one charger you need to bring with you on trips etc.

Anyone that has the Blackberry has the mini USB charging cable already since that's what comes with the Blackberry for charging.

If you purchased the cable you've shown you'd then have to also purchase a ac adapter to charge with (unless you plan to charge the headset off your computer's USB ports.)

Something like this

Again, you'd then be carrying two charging cables.

Hope this made sense.
You missed the point - the cable I listed eliminates using the USB adapter, and you DON'T need to carry an AC Adapter because you power using the USB cable...that's the whole point of this, eliminate carrying an AC adapter. The only downside is that you carry an additional cable (along with your BB mini-usb cable)...as a BB user, I already have the mini-usb cable, but what about the person who owns a phone that ISN'T powered by a mini-usb? This makes it an even more attractive solution.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #8
lgreenberg

But how do you charge the headset if you don't have a computer with you?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #9
kildar
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default Discovery 640 mini-USB adapter

I bought mine from here http://www.sjtelecommunications.com/pla-70393-01.html. It works like a charm

Thanks,
Tim
Old 01-09-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
But how do you charge the headset if you don't have a computer with you?
You don't - the whole idea behind this is for the person who travels with a laptop, you don't ned to pack an AC adapter.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #11
lgreenberg

I don't think you're getting it..........

What you're suggesting requires the person to carry two cables. A Blackberry user must carry the mini USB cable (charger or USB) to charge his/her Blackberry and the cable you're suggesting to charge the headset. A non-Blackberry user must also carry two cables. The charger for his/her phone and this cable.

What's the benefit?

All it does is replace the AC charger with a USB charger.

Wouldn't a person be better served getting the mini USB adapter for the Jabra and then simply using the Blackberry's USB cable to charge both the headset and the Blackberry? Again, one cable. You still do what you want (charge devices via USB only) but do it with one cable not two.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #12
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I don't think you're getting it..........

What you're suggesting requires the person to carry two cables. A Blackberry user must carry the mini USB cable (charger or USB) to charge his/her Blackberry and the cable you're suggesting to charge the headset. A non-Blackberry user must also carry two cables. The charger for his/her phone and this cable.

What's the benefit?

All it does is replace the AC charger with a USB charger.

Wouldn't a person be better served getting the mini USB adapter for the Jabra and then simply using the Blackberry's USB cable to charge both the headset and the Blackberry? Again, one cable. You still do what you want (charge devices via USB only) but do it with one cable not two.
Yes, I am getting it...I've stated several times that you do need two cables. You are wrong though about non-BB users - they do NOT have to carry their AC adapter if they purchase this cable, that's my point. They use the usb charging cable and connect it directly to the Headset Carrrying Pocket...no mini-usb adapter or AC adapter necessary.

So here are the two benefits as I see it:

1) No need for that silly mini-usb adapter. As many have stated, those adapters are not the best quality and don't stay snapped to the Headset Carrying pocket very securely. I can easily see this breaking over and over, not to mention how easy it would be to lose that stupid piece of cheesy plastic.

2) For NON BLACKBERRY users who don't have a mini-usb power cable. I understand your point because you already have a mini-usb cable, but the vast, vast majority of phones out there are NOT powered by a mini-usb cable. So in that case, you MUST buy the mini-usb adapter AND a mini-usb cable. That easily adds $30 - $40 to the cost of an already outrageously priced headset.

Now do you understand? I'm not debating the merits of which is better, I'm merely suggesting an alternative to buying the mini-usb adapter.

Last edited by gadgtman; 01-09-2006 at 04:16 PM..
Old 01-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
kjaslow

...and just to clarify...in my case, I travel with my laptop, and have several devices that all use mini-USB. So, no matter what, I have a mini-USB cable with me. If I had this adapter, then I would not need to carry any more cables to charge my BB, my headset, my Garmin GPS, etc, etc.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #14
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow
...and just to clarify...in my case, I travel with my laptop, and have several devices that all use mini-USB. So, no matter what, I have a mini-USB cable with me. If I had this adapter, then I would not need to carry any more cables to charge my BB, my headset, my Garmin GPS, etc, etc.
Right, that's the whole point of the adapter.

Everything is charged by one cable.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #15
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Right, that's the whole point of the adapter.

Everything is charged by one cable.
Exactly - and for non-BB users, only one cable and NO mini-usb adpater to break or lose. Even better!!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #16
lgreenberg

This is a Blackberry forum. Who cares about non Blackberry users.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #17
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
And are we to assume that BB users never, ever use non-BB phones? Or that non-BB users never, ever read these forums? Pretty short-sighted view of the universe if you ask me.

Lighten up, I'm throwing out alternatives, that's all. All you've done ever since I posted this is trash it...sounds like someone who has to defend their purchase at all costs. Seriously, lighten up.

Last edited by gadgtman; 01-09-2006 at 05:21 PM..
Old 01-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #18
lgreenberg

Oh get over it already.

Your argument just doesn't make sense and you can't seem to face it.

Am I trashing it? Absolutely, because it deserves to be trashed. You offered it up as a comparative solution to what the original poster was looking for. It simply isn't even close.

I'm not defending anything. I'm attacking it.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #19
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Oh get over it already.

Your argument just doesn't make sense and you can't seem to face it.

Am I trashing it? Absolutely, because it deserves to be trashed. You offered it up as a comparative solution to what the original poster was looking for. It simply isn't even close.

I'm not defending anything. I'm attacking it.
You win, I'm wrong. I don't want to argue with a 12 year old any longer. What an asshole.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:48 PM   #20
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman
You win, I'm wrong. I don't want to argue with a 12 year old any longer. What an asshole.
Actually, when he answered you a few posts back, he said:
Quote:
The convention, see the smiley, is that is being said in jest - of course we care about other phones! It was a joke, but then you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman
And are we to assume that BB users never, ever use non-BB phones? Or that non-BB users never, ever read these forums? Pretty short-sighted view of the universe if you ask me.

Lighten up, I'm throwing out alternatives, that's all. All you've done ever since I posted this is trash it...sounds like someone who has to defend their purchase at all costs. Seriously, lighten up.
Ignore the smiley altogether and continue to strike...who is the 12 year old now?

You are both right, just different viewpoints.