BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell
Question I-Tech Virtual Keyboard with BB?

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone been able to pair the I-Tech Virtual Keyboard with a BB? I have tried to using several BB's and passwords etc. Apparently you have to enter the same 4 number password on both the BB and the keyboard. The BB recognizes the keyboard but won't pair. I tried rebooting both devices etc but no go.

I-Tech Support was not much help.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have... it takes getting use to. I used a 1-digit pairing code for example 5 at first to make sure I don't screw it up. When asked by the BB device, enter your pairing code then press enter key on the BB. Wait until the virtual keyboard beeps after entering your code on the BB. When the virtual keyboard beeps enter your code on the projected image then press the Enter key on the projected image. if all goes well you should be paired. oh before you do all this make sure the virtual keyboard driver is not activated. "VKB active should be unchecked".

hope this helps....
Old 02-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #3
roofus

Thanks!
I'll give it a try when I get home!
Old 02-28-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
roofus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiboy
I have... it takes getting use to. I used a 1-digit pairing code for example 5 at first to make sure I don't screw it up. When asked by the BB device, enter your pairing code then press enter key on the BB. Wait until the virtual keyboard beeps after entering your code on the BB. When the virtual keyboard beeps enter your code on the projected image then press the Enter key on the projected image. if all goes well you should be paired. oh before you do all this make sure the virtual keyboard driver is not activated. "VKB active should be unchecked".

hope this helps....
Your instructions worked! Thanks. Now the keyboard is paired with the BB but I cannot make it type. If I create a new note and start the keyboard, activity on the keyboard does not result in text being created on the BB. Is there something else I should be doing?

The instructions that come with the keyboard are not very helpful.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Did you reactivate the keyboard driver? [checked] VKB Active option in the settings screen. The driver status should say "keyboard connected" at the bottom of the main screen. Also you should be able to see the virtual keyboard battery level.

Oh... and check under Layouts that the language is set for US(English). I notice when I unchecked this option the status is keyboard connected but no key strokes are displayed in the memo pad.

for reference: using 7250 Verizon and 7100 T-Mobile

Last edited by mauiboy; 02-28-2006 at 01:14 PM..
Old 02-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
pho
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

is anyone using this with the 8700 model. The only bluetooth driver i have seen as downloadable for this didn't list 8700 as a compatable model. Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

I'd be interested in knowing that too....currently doing a bit of keyboard research. OK, it's a gimic, but you've gotta indulge now and again!!!!

Old 02-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
pho

i ordered one, will be here in 2 days, assuming i can get my remote hosted bes to give permission to the drivers i will report back
Old 02-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #9
roofus

Quote:
Did you reactivate the keyboard driver? [checked] VKB Active option in the settings screen. The driver status should say "keyboard connected" at the bottom of the main screen. Also you should be able to see the virtual keyboard battery level.

Oh... and check under Layouts that the language is set for US(English). I notice when I unchecked this option the status is keyboard connected but no key strokes are displayed in the memo pad.

for reference: using 7250 Verizon and 7100 T-Mobile
Actually, I never installed any drivers. The mini-CD that came with the keyboard only had cellphone drivers - no BB drivers.

All I did was pair the device as per your (mauiboy) instructions (which worked) and then attempt to enter text into a new note using the keyboard.

Obviously I am missing something here - I am just not sure what?

Activate/deactivate the keyboard driver? What driver? I am not planning to using the device with my pc but with my bb, so no drivers were intalled on the pc.

This is very confusing. I have paired 3 different bluetooth headsets successfully with my bb but no I-Tech keyboards yet.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #10
roofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho
i ordered one, will be here in 2 days, assuming i can get my remote hosted bes to give permission to the drivers i will report back
Save your receipt!

They have a 30 day return policy and mine is very, very close to being sent back!

The instructions are appallingly bad!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
Actually, I never installed any drivers. The mini-CD that came with the keyboard only had cellphone drivers - no BB drivers.

All I did was pair the device as per your (mauiboy) instructions (which worked) and then attempt to enter text into a new note using the keyboard.

Obviously I am missing something here - I am just not sure what?

Activate/deactivate the keyboard driver? What driver? I am not planning to using the device with my pc but with my bb, so no drivers were intalled on the pc.

This is very confusing. I have paired 3 different bluetooth headsets successfully with my bb but no I-Tech keyboards yet.

dude... lol... yeah you need a driver for the BlackBerry. did you get from a download from i.Tech? if you need the driver PM me and I'll email it to you...
Old 03-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
pho

i found the driver here - http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/5825.htm where is i-tech's website? i haven't been able to find that
Old 03-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
mauiboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho
i found the driver here - http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/5825.htm where is i-tech's website? i haven't been able to find that

i.Tech Dynamic website for driver download:

http://www.itechdynamic.com/user_driver.asp
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
roofus

Quote:
i.Tech Dynamic website for driver download:

http://www.itechdynamic.com/user_driver.asp
Thanks for your help! I think I have everthing I need now!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #15
pho

wanna hear something crazy - first itech's website is not compatable with firefox

But, i downloaded the blackberry driver from the link in my post and its driver .97_1_13_2006

the one on Itech's Site is .96_12-21-2005
on top of that, on their feb 20th 2006 compatability chart, it still doesn't list the 8700, but says that blackberry is compatable with driver version .99!!!!

http://www.itechdynamic.com/Compat//...eyboard/en.pdf

time for an email i think.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #16
pho

HOLY CRAP IT WORKS

this is the coolest thing EVER. For the on the edge tech geek, this is the break the bank, must have device (until the personal viewing glasses for ipod video comes out this summer)

They are not joking about the "Must charge for 2 hrs though" I was able to play with it for a few minutes, and then the battery died.

I did have to go in and change some permissions in the driver on my handheld.

from my first few tests, i seemed to be able to type pretty well. I type using traditional methods - and a split keyboard.

I had to actually look where i was typing, which is new for me, but, i didn't find to many errors.

next i'm going to try putting something under it to maket he keys a little larger.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #17
pho

OK - Its dead -

so, all of a sudden, i can't get the keyboard to come up. It will connect to the BB and i can control the settings from there. It won't reset according to the reset instructions -

other then lettign the battery die - anybody got any ideas?

phew - yanked the battery.

now its back. Buggy, going to try to reset and repair

Last edited by pho; 03-02-2006 at 03:04 PM..
Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #18
pho

Well. it works on the 8700. Its pretty stable.

Very impressive device. Definatly favors the hunt and peckers, vs. traditional typing.

The only hard part is the how exact you have to be with the letters. Very small margin of error.

I will try it over the next few days and see if i can get better.

able to control different apps. menus ect.

if anyone has any questions, happy to take them.

I did try both the driver .96 and .97 didn't see much of a difference between them.

Also, there is an auto time out on the keyboard projection. But to renew it, you just have to tap the space. nice feature.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #19
pho

does anyone have any typing tips for this thing, having a hard time getting a consistant thing going
Old 03-03-2006, 07:44 AM   #20
roofus

My saga still continues. I get the error message: "Injector API Blocking Policy. Please cotact your BES administrator to unblock injector API" I have sent emails to support at I-Tech and Mailstreet.
Closed Thread