BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Exclamation This Needs to be a sticky!! IF your emails, Call logs, Vanish Read this..!!!1

Please Login to Remove!

If this happens to you... Its because your BB is running low on free memory most likely caused by not having a MicroSD card and having to many media files loaded or to many apps loaded on your BB. When your memory starts to run low the BB is suppose to delete call logs emails and text messages to make more room in the memory for new messages and calls. So there is nothing wrong with your BB its doing what RIM told it to do. Simply delete and languages that you don't use and apps using the DM and get a MicroSD card for your pictures, ringtones, and video... I have 39MB of free memory on my 8100 and have never had a problem with anything emails, call logs or texts vanishing... Ever....
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 01-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MythmbHurts
If this happens to you... Its because your BB is running low on free memory most likely caused by not having a MicroSD card and having to many media files loaded or to many apps loaded on your BB. When your memory starts to run low the BB is suppose to delete call logs emails and text messages to make more room in the memory for new messages and calls. So there is nothing wrong with your BB its doing what RIM told it to do. Simply delete and languages that you don't use and apps using the DM and get a MicroSD card for your pictures, ringtones, and video... I have 39MB of free memory on my 8100 and have never had a problem with anything emails, call logs or texts vanishing... Ever....
Exactly. This SHOULD be a sticky.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
figsjohn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Is there a way to take off the voice regnition software, i dont even use it.
Thanks for the help!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
You might want to post how you got your free memory up to 39MB. That sounds interesting.

Do you mean "total size" is 39MB? That alone seems amazing to me. Or do you mean "free space" is 39MB? If that is what you have, share your secrets because I'd like to know how to pare down mine. See below.

On mine, the ringtones folder is empty and so is the pictures folder.
I have many apps and files deleted including:

Languages
Messenger
Maps
Sample Video
BrickBreaker
Help
DOD Root Certificates
Password Keeper

The 3rd party apps I have total about 1MB.

And I keep all files [music, ringtones, videos] on the 1GB chip.

I thought I read somewhere in here that with all the standard apps from the factory, so to speak, and the core applications, that left about 19MB of free space. So I don't see where one can squeeze 20MB more free space.

So what's the secret?

Oh, by the way, I use .42 OS. But that should not be the difference since I have not heard anyone say that the newer OS's increase free memory.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-07-2007 at 01:57 AM..
Old 01-07-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

[QUOTE=SanFrancisco]Do you mean "total size" is 39MB? That alone seems amazing to me. Or do you mean "free space" is 39MB? If that is what you have, share your secrets because I'd like to know how to pare down mine. /QUOTE]

SF,

See my post here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...les#post398874

My pearl has 43 MB free and I'm running a bunch of third party apps.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
SanFrancisco

[quote=Spamdumpster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Do you mean "total size" is 39MB? That alone seems amazing to me. Or do you mean "free space" is 39MB? If that is what you have, share your secrets because I'd like to know how to pare down mine. /QUOTE]

SF,

Thanks for the reply.

Scary thing is that it was the last thing I read before bed. I ended up dreaming about it and that I fried my Pearl. Guess it was a mini nightmare.

But I'll check it next week. Very interesting, squeezing that kind of space out of the memory.

Query: I'm using .42, does the newer OS add much to the savings?

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 01-07-2007 at 11:36 AM..
Old 01-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

my file free space when i just looked this morning is 39,448,292. i have a few third party apps and all my media is on my card. Yes the newer OS's do free up space as i remeber i had around 30,000,000 when i ran 4.2.0.42 back a few months ago. I'll list what is loaded on my BB a little later and you can compare to yours
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 01-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

Quote:
my file free space when i just looked this morning is 39,448,292. i have a few third party apps and all my media is on my card. Yes the newer OS's do free up space as i remeber i had around 30,000,000 when i ran 4.2.0.42 back a few months ago. I'll list what is loaded on my BB a little later and you can compare to yours
When I installed teh new OS on 2 pearls, I saw that both gained. One of them was stock and had no theird party apps (just one downloaded theme , the Today Plus) before teh upgrade it was at 9MB (with the card being in there) after thet OS upgrade and removing the language files (using DM) leaving french and the English Legal as well as the semetic characters and financial terms and also removed the demo video, it was up to by close to 20. Now on mine, which I had the languages removed the vedio and have the following apps loaded: Telenave, Berry411, Gmaps, IM+, 6 games, 3 downloaded themes and using the ALX file from Jibi (which now I se the other themes) my total is at 28 MB.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
SanFrancisco

Quote:
If anyone is working on the tome or top 20 FAQ, seems this would be good info to have as one of the items, "How to Free Up Max Memory."

This is astounding info IMHO. We have all played with memory and device capacity over the years. To get 10-20MB more free memory on the Pearl... this is important information and it's too bad it will get buried in the threads.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
When I installed teh new OS on 2 pearls, I saw that both gained.
I refuse to lose the ability to turn "auto-dim off" so I won't move off of the original .42 OS. Lamenting to see that newer OS's result in some memory savings.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

give up the auto-dim do yourself a favor its not that bad on the newer OS's i thought i wouldn't like it either but i have come to love it and really like the way it works with the latest OS's update.
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 01-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster

Now I see you mentioned that it's best to do that when installing a new OS. I just installed .71 last night, but I didn't know of your post. Could I just unistall the OS from my PC, install it again, delete the files and re-run the DM? Or could I just go to the locations of the files and delete them now and run the DM?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
MythmbHurts
CrackBerry Addict

just run the DM and then application loader and delete the apps you don't want you can do this anytime. the DM manager is the best for this since it deletes files more throughly than deleting them just on the BB itself.
BB 8100 4.2.0.69
Old 01-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #14
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
just run the DM and then application loader and delete the apps you don't want you can do this anytime. the DM manager is the best for this since it deletes files more throughly than deleting them just on the BB itself.
Well, I don't have any of the semitic language, korean or other languages support checked when I run the DM.

When I go to program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/8100-v4.2.0.71_P2.2.0.41/java I do have a bunch of files ending in __pt, __pt_BR, __fr, __it, __de, __nl, __en_GB, __es, __es_MX, __ca, and __tr, which are the ones that Spamdumpster says to delete, should I delete them from the Java folder and run DM again or should I reinstall the OS?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #15
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrcncp
Well, I don't have any of the semitic language, korean or other languages support checked when I run the DM.

When I go to program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/8100-v4.2.0.71_P2.2.0.41/java I do have a bunch of files ending in __pt, __pt_BR, __fr, __it, __de, __nl, __en_GB, __es, __es_MX, __ca, and __tr, which are the ones that Spamdumpster says to delete, should I delete them from the Java folder and run DM again or should I reinstall the OS?
Did you install the OS? just connecting without having the OS installed on the PC will not show these options.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #16
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Did you install the OS? just connecting without having the OS installed on the PC will not show these options.
Yeah, OS was installed last night. I just read that other thread on how to get more memory and thought it would be nice to do it. I'm not pressed on doing it, but again would be nice.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #17
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Yeah, OS was installed last night. I just read that other thread on how to get more memory and thought it would be nice to do it. I'm not pressed on doing it, but again would be nice.
Ok since it is installed, conenect your pearl, start DM, then when all is ready click on Apploader it will then gather all teh info and you should then see all the options. let us know if you do see those when you do that.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Ok since it is installed, conenect your pearl, start DM, then when all is ready click on Apploader it will then gather all teh info and you should then see all the options. let us know if you do see those when you do that.
All the options are there, but the boxes are unchecked, so I assume they're not using up any space. The only place where I see all those files is in the Java folder in my PC. I guess I freed up a bunch of space though, my memory is up to 39MB now.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #19
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
All the options are there, but the boxes are unchecked, so I assume they're not using up any space. The only place where I see all those files is in the Java folder in my PC. I guess I freed up a bunch of space though, my memory is up to 39MB now.
Yes, they are not there on the pearl. As to them being on the PC, they should be there so in case if you ever want to add one you can go in and just check mark it to re-add.