BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
JE$U$
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: Rogers
Default Would any of you switch from Blackberry to this?

Please Login to Remove!

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...amp;catLevel=3

Does anyone know if there will be Blackberry style email (either licensed from RIM or some sort of clone) for Pocket PC's anytime soon?

I have always loved Pocket PC's, but I recently realized that I couldn't justify keeping my iPaq 5550 AND my Blackberry, so the iPaq went onto eBay. :( I do miss the WiFi, the MP3 player, the easy to use Calendar, editing Excel and Word files, but without the email/phone combo, it just doesn't make enough sense.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: tmo

No way in the world.

I had one for a day and it's a total POS.

It's slow. It's fragile. It's battery doesn't last for 5 days like my Berry does. It's keyboard is seperate, and with it attatched it makes it massive, it doesn't do push email out of the box.

Not to mention the rediculous price.

I'm sticking with my Berry. It does my email, and it does that better than anything on the market.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
knoppi
Thumbs Must Hurt

I had so many things before a BB, nothing was more exciting then my BB. Even if the Treo will have RIM features (like the SK65 or the new MDAIII) I would never switch to one of these devices.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

I don't think you could pay me enough. Allot of these upstart smart phone devices try to be so many things that they end up lacking in some. I've tried numerous smart phone units to find I come back to the Blackberry everytime.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
Skive
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

The xda/mda are meant to be getting blackberry support, although that might only be europe only.

Personally, I would never swap for one of them as i like my phone to have more than a few hours of battery life. :lol:
Old 08-26-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
JE$U$
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ya, the battery life on Pocket PC is total garbage. Given the choice between a bright touch screen that has about 3 hours of battery life versus a dull screen and scroll wheel with a week....the choice is pretty clear!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:29 PM   #7
AMCELL J
Thumbs Must Hurt

I had the previous HTC pocket pc and that was complete garbage I had it for 4 days and could not stand it...HP products are a little better quality but same concept. Wouldnt trade my blackberry for that!!
Old 08-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #8
JOHNGAETANO
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Like knoppi said, I have had them all, and the BB is the most exciting, and useful.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:41 AM   #9
JE$U$
Thumbs Must Hurt

I (as I'm sure many of you are) am a gadget nut. The Pocket PC is a cool toy whereas the Blackberry is a useful toy. My iPaq had wi-fi so I could surf the net at hotspots, bluetooth for connecting to my phone, I put my library of eBooks on it so I could read anywhere (usually in the subway), I had a 1GB SD card so I used it as my MP3 player and portable video player....

They can't compare to a Blackberry in terms of usefulness, but Pocket PC's aren't garbage.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

I should add that PocketPC and Blackberry are completely different beasts.

Blackberry -- The always-on communication device.
iPaq -- The multimedia device.

I have an iPaq 4155 PocketPC. They are excellent portable multimedia devices. I put over 800 digital photographs (automatically mass-converted to the resolution of the PocketPC screen), so now I have a portable version of my digital photo album. A wallet photo album that crams 800 photos in half the size of my wallet using only about 40 megabytes of SD card space! It can also play MPEG, so I put my skydiving video on it. So it's also a video wallet photoalbum (that even runs at 30 frames per second at full screen resolution). You could put your baby first steps or wedding easily on a SD card nowadays for showing off. As I am hearing impaired, I don't use it for MP3, but you can also play MP3's and most other audio files. The Internet Explorer on a PocketPC is more capable than a Blackberry, if you want to do lots of Internet surfing (however, you want to sign up for a third-party image compression service if using cellphone airwaves with PocketPC -- whereas Blackberry service always include image compression service to speed up download of webpages). And you can easily hook folding keyboards to the PocketPC, and one of the newer folding keyboards with full size 19mm keys folds into a space only slightly larger than my Blackberry. Touchtypable over 100WPM by people who can type over 100WPM on a PC keyboard, and it fits into your pocket. I have a newer folding keyboard that is only 8 millimeters thick when fully folded (the newer 'Stowaway XT'). A PocketPC makes an excellent portable handheld GPS devices now with the greatly-improved GPS software and BlueTooth GPS units that you can easily conceal in a backpack, briefcase, glovebox and it will still work from inside there through the Bluetooth link and sensitive enough to reach the satellites from inside there. There's also WiFi.

But the iPaq is a terrible always-on communications device. It is not as good as the Blackberry for communications. For an always-on device that the screen can stay constantly on for a few days nonstop, even run instant message 24/7, realtime push email, etc. The Blackberry consumes so little power that there is no physical OFF switch on a Blackberry. Since I got my Blackberry as used, I don't even have a holster so the screen is always on, yet it can run WebMessenger with its screen on for 100 hours nonstop (4 days) untethered, constantly monitoring messages. You can't do that with any Palm or PocketPC device!

I still own both a PocketPC and a Blackberry. Usage is about 15% and 85% respectively. The tiny iPaq 4155 is about the same size and thickness as a Blackberry 7280 and has both BT/WiFi builtin.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 08-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #11
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

What still amazes me is how poor PocketPC's are at basic tasks, the standard browser is very poor, Pocket Outlook is quite useless too...

Without addiitonal software the PocketPC just doesn't do a very good job at the most basic tasks.

That said, Palm is even worse...
Old 08-27-2004, 10:39 AM   #12
JE$U$
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ya, you'd think it'd be a fairly easy thing for MS to make some decent programs seeing as they already exist for the desktop....guess it's a matter of priority and I don't think MS (or anyone for that matter) really sees too much of a future in Pocket PC.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:01 AM   #13
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE$U$
Ya, you'd think it'd be a fairly easy thing for MS to make some decent programs seeing as they already exist for the desktop....guess it's a matter of priority and I don't think MS (or anyone for that matter) really sees too much of a future in Pocket PC.
They seem to spend more time on nice startup screens than they do on decent apps.

I have to admit though, the new VGA class devices is a step in the right direction, all they need now are some decent applications...
Old 08-27-2004, 09:16 PM   #14
Family K9

Default IPAq

I have a 4355 ( the one with the keyboard) and a BB 7280 - both have their pros and cons.
I find the BB more limited - but enjoy the convenience of an all in one setting and do love the battery life!
Nick
Old 08-28-2004, 08:35 AM   #15
JE$U$
Thumbs Must Hurt

I figure someday I'll truly be able to have just 1 device and be 100% happy with it instead of what I currently have to carry (BB 7280, Nokia 6310i for wireless modem, MP3 player, laptop for doing real work, old pocket pc for reading eBooks).
Old 08-28-2004, 10:03 AM   #16
JOHNGAETANO

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Je$u$,

I'm not sure if we will ever see the all in one device. I'm sure there will be more powerful devices, but trying to cram too much into one device might be bad. The form factor will always be a problem.

John
Old 08-28-2004, 12:11 PM   #17
JE$U$
Thumbs Must Hurt

I agree....just me dreaming.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:56 AM   #18
cyberhh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not that device.

I also have a 5455 w/WiFi and BT, as a multimedia device it is awesome, movies, games, tools, it is an excellent mini-pc. The blackberry is a perfect (nearly) email tool. The blackberry does it's job exceptionally well, I would love Yahoo IM built in, otherwise it is excellent.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:55 PM   #19
robyale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE$U$
I figure someday I'll truly be able to have just 1 device and be 100% happy with it instead of what I currently have to carry (BB 7280, Nokia 6310i for wireless modem, MP3 player, laptop for doing real work, old pocket pc for reading eBooks).
I've been looking for an "all in one" device for a long time now, and the BB is the closest thing I've found to that.

The fact that the BB weak point is it's PDA functions is relatively minor compared to the advantage of having phone, email, address book and calendar all in one device - even if the address book and calendar aren't the best of all the devices I've tried.

Rob
Old 09-09-2004, 06:27 PM   #20
cyberhh
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have never used a PPC Phone that was worth $100 much less what I paid for it. They are not always on, it seemed like a hastle to get my mail, does not have a way to get to my firewalled work email, battery life is to low, awkward as a phone, grumble, ..... grumble.....

As a seperate device I love the PPC, as a phone - no way.
Closed Thread