BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
LearningBB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vod
Default Contacting server (Multiple SMTP adresses)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys

We have a BES Server that is working 100% with the users from our domain. We also have migrated users in our domain but their default SMTP adress is something else. I have tried to setup the email for the user and for the life of me i cannot get it right. It would stay on the contacting server screen. Should i try a different user who also has a different SMTP adress or is this a known issue?

Will greatly appreciate it if someone will be able to help
Old 02-17-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany
Default Re: Contacting server (Multiple SMTP adresses)

In order to activate a user wireless, he must be able to receive email. If this is not possible with the currently default email address, you could temporarily change his address to something which works. Then, after the activation, change the address back to whatever you want.
Or, make an activation using the Desktop Manager or the Webdesktop using USB connection.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
LearningBB

I have changed the email address to something else as his default address and tried again and it is still sitting at contacting server. I have tested that i can send mail to the new adress from the internet and i can.

When i create the BB account on the BES Server it states that an email will be sent from BlackBerry with an attachment. I do not see any email from BB in the users mailbox....I only see the mail that was sent that contains the password that user is suppose to use. Is that correct?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
nobody7290

The default smtp address (the one which is printed in bold) must be able to receive email. During the wireless activation process a small email with an attachment "etp.dat" will be sent to the adress you enter in the blackberry handheld when you activate it. The mail will be immediately removed from the mailbox by the BES server.

To check if the email arrives in the mailbox:
stop all blackberry services, try an activation. Then should see an email within a minute.

If the email does not arrive:
The email adress the user typed in the activation window is wrong
Some spam filtering software might have bounced it
The user has no Blackberry Enterprise data plan.

Maybe, visit this url:
https://www.blackberry.com/besc/dashboard/
to check if an enterprise activation should be possible.

If the email arrives later then within 3 minutes, some antispam software is delaying it - then deactivate al filtering/delaying and try again an activation.
If you server is polling the email using a pop3 connection, an activation is still possible, however, you have to poll the mail manually every 30 seconds.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
LearningBB

Hi

Something that i found in another forum said that the BB Service account must have Send As rights on the mailbox database as well as the mailbox. The rights wasn't set on the database but i have added it

I asked the user to do a activation again and it is sitting on Contacting server. I have checked the users mailbox in the meanwhile and saw the email came in from BB but the email sits in the inbox. It does not disappear like you say in the post it should - anyreason why it does that????. the email that is it in the inbox does has a etp.dat attachment
Old 02-21-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
nobody7290

Correct. But, If you have done all steps which are neccessary for the installation the besadmin account has send and receive as rights.

Check the documentation regarding the needed permissions:
KB02276-Assigning service account permissions for a BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange

and the installation manual:
Installation and Configuration Guide - BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange - 5.0.1
Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
LearningBB

Problem found

Saw on another forum rights were neccessary on the mailbox databases and what they should be.No rights were given on the mailbox databases in my case. Gave the Service account rights on the DB's and whola.....device activation works

Came back now and saw you also posted a article related to permissions. Thanks, i will give that a read also
Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #8
LearningBB

Well, i have chosen a different email address and it works. Will let the device finish off the activation and then change the email address back to what it should be and then see if the device can still send/receive - should it work or does it only work with the email address you used to activate the device?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
nobody7290

the BES will accept any address (i think, even a wrong/not existant one) as long as it is syntactically correct.
Dont know, why you want to use an address where not mail can be sent to, but it should work.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #10
LearningBB

I have tested and it works. It is not a email that is not capable of receiving mail. It is just a alias on the mailbox so it is not the default smtp

Thanks for your time in trying to help.Appreciate it
Closed Thread