Old 05-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Metatron

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Previous Email Access and 8800 Dropability

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All

My trusty 7290 just had a fatal brain siezure and, as a result, I have a brand new 8800. It is GREAT! Couple of questions.

I am on Lotus Notes using a Domino server for email. When I hooked up to the network however, I only have access to my email for 5 days or so before the 8800 activation date. Nothing I do seems to give me access to any of my Lotus notes data prior to this. I always assumed that as the lotus notes system is always backed up, and all the Blackberry stuff was on there, there would be no need to explicitly back up using the desktop manager so I didn't do that. The IS department suggests that I just forward anything I need from my Lotus Notes (new emails) but this seems pretty cumbersome and, for sure, I will miss the ONE email I really need. My 7290 is TOTALLY brain dead so I can't try the desktop manager backup trick.

Is there any way to forward all the messages for the last 4 months to the Blackberry so I am sure I have access to everything?

Also, the 8800 seems a bit delicate and slippery ie. easily droppable. My 7290 was VERY robust. Does anyone have any experience dropping an 8800? Should I get some sort of protective case for it so when the inevitable happens, it doesn't shatter?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
rhapsodyrcks

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

Don't know about your Lotus problems but on your BB 8800 being slippery, yes it is. Its alot tougher then it feels though. I have dropped mine several times and nothing happened to it. I would not suggest it though. I find it to be as slippery as the new iPods are. You can get a case but I find that takes away from the beauty of the device. Like the iPods you just have to deal with the slippery feeling and the fingerprints.

The 1st time I dropped it the back battery cover popped off ... did not break though.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

As far as getting your emails back, you're out of luck. The 5 days that you got is based on a setting on the BES that the admins control. Emails only populate back to what they've set on the BES. The only way to get everything is to restore from backup and then Enterprise Activate.

As for the BB being too slippery, I suggest this:

BlackBerry 8800 Full Body Shield

I put one on my Pearl back in September when it was brand new. They come with a lifetime guarantee. Mine finally started looking kind of worn so I sent it back to them and they sent me a new one. When I took the old one off the Pearl still looks brand new after 8 months.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron View Post
Is there any way to forward all the messages for the last 4 months to the Blackberry so I am sure I have access to everything?
Only if you manually forward them to yourself. The BES only pushes a limited amount of historical email on activation. IIRC 5 days is the default. I'm not sure what the max is but I doubt it's 4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metatron View Post
Also, the 8800 seems a bit delicate and slippery ie. easily droppable. My 7290 was VERY robust. Does anyone have any experience dropping an 8800? Should I get some sort of protective case for it so when the inevitable happens, it doesn't shatter?
Protection's always a good idea if you're concerned about your device. I've dropped my 8800 on concrete several times without any issues. It does have an Invisible Shield on it to prevent cosmetic scars but that doesn't provide any impact protection.
Closed Thread