BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
lirong
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular
Default Difference between Screen Patronus and ShieldZone?

Please Login to Remove!

Both seem to be very highly recommended? Can someone help me understand the differences or pros/cons between the two products?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
ghostrida

Carrier: Cingular

I got my screen patronus yesterday and was not pleased. I ordered based on positive reviews on these forums but was disappointed. The edges of the protector do not stick to the screen. I have seen this before on other protectors (it is not dust related I know that can cause this symptom too). I hope Martin Fields cuts these things soon. They r the only ones I trust but haven't seen the 8800 on their site yet.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Personally I think the shape of the 8800 is going to cause problems for many of these. The curvature at the top is going to be hard to manage unless the protectors are made super sticky. Depends on the level of perfection one is looking for.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrida
I got my screen patronus yesterday and was not pleased. I ordered based on positive reviews on these forums but was disappointed.
I can't speak for ScreenPatronus, but you should let them know of your dissatisfaction or even ask for your money back if you aren't willing to try a second set. They would probably appreciate your letting them know there is a defect in the ones you purchased.

I am betting at that point you will be pleased with their customer service, at least.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
lirong

Carrier: cingular

So are they the same product by two different companies or is there some difference between the two?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
ghostrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
I can't speak for ScreenPatronus, but you should let them know of your dissatisfaction or even ask for your money back if you aren't willing to try a second set. They would probably appreciate your letting them know there is a defect in the ones you purchased.

I am betting at that point you will be pleased with their customer service, at least.
I will contact them to see if in fact it is a defect, a flaw in design, or as Stinsonddog said could be related to the curvature of the screen. I have no other comparison for screen protectors on this particular model phone, although if I remember my 7100 also had a curved screen and I did not have the same issue.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Based on what has been said in this thread I don't think they're anything alike.

I've owned Invisible Shields for my 8700c and 8800 as well as other devices. There are pieces that are cut to fit the curves of both models on the IS Full Body Protectors (which, as the name implies fully cover the devices except for the keyboards, ports, etc) and I've never had problems with my IS sticking whether a surface is curved or not.

People have said that the IS material is comparable to the material used in the Best Skins Ever product but that the BSE's cost less. IIRC the BSE doesn't have the same replacement warranty as the IS.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
Gmouth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c

you can cut the top of the invisible shield to not cover over the curve, works great. I let IS know that the die they are using to cut these are too long. Mines been fine since I got my 8800.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
NLU Products

Model: 8700g

BodyGuardz and ScreenGuardz have screen protectors as well as full body protectors for the 8800. They work well and haven't had any complaints regarding the curved top of the BB. BodyGuardz.com and ScreenGuardz.com.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
fatman

Model: 8800c

I have used ScreenPatronus for 8700c before and as reported by ghostrida, above, the upper edge of the screen protector would not stick properly. Eventually dust collects underneath the top edge and the only remedy is to remove and wash the protector; of course, the cycle has to be repeated in a few months again.
For the 8800, I recently bought the ShieldZone product. Having used it for over a week now, I am very pleased with it. The product is much thinner than ScreenPatronus and seems to hug the device curvature better.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #11
Rhack9

Model: 9000

I've been very happy with the full body Invisible Shield that I have on my 8800--no trouble with the entire shield adhering to all parts of the phone. It was the first IS I've ever used, so I inevitably made some minor mistakes in applying it, but as Stinsonddog said, it depends on the level of perfection you want. I simply used a Swiss Army knife to gently slice away a few of my mistakes (small overlaps, etc.), and now it looks and feels great.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
deadstk

Model: 8300
Default Invisible Shield vs ScreenPatronus

I used a ScreenPatronus for my 8700c and forgot the name of the company when it came time to order a new screen protector for my 8800. Not remembering I thought it might have been Invisible Shield so I went ahead and ordered. I have to say I’m a little disappointed. Invisible Shield applied just fine, but it’s not even close to being as optically clear to the ScreenPatronus. In fact, you could hardly tell the ScreenPatronus was even on my 8700. ScreenPatronus also sends you 3 screen protectors for $7.95 as apposed to one from Invisible Shield for $11.95 (steep). You be the judge.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
cdd543
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

I have used screen patronus for pearl, treo and now the 8800 and the only one I have had an issue with is the 8800. I looked down today and it has bubbles of air and dust under it..weird. The others I have used from them have been great..and they really are crystal clear..best I have seen.

Last edited by cdd543; 04-03-2007 at 11:17 PM..
Old 04-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I have used Invisible Shield products on many devices (iPods, GPS, PSP) and have always been satisfied. The IS seem to be stickier and softer and just stick very well, even on the edges unlike harder protectors.

I actually use an iPod video screen cover (just the screen portion) for my 8800. You cannot see it unless you look VERY close and it covers the whole screen from just above the trackball ring to halfway through the word Blackberry. I am very picky and have been satisfied with this setup as I don't want it extending past the screen portion of the phone.

Regardless of which one you use, IS makes very good quality products.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #15
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Don't worry about it

Glad to see many are satisfied with IS products. My full body cover for the 8800 should be here in one more day. I like that they give you a 30 day window and a replacement warranty too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan
I have used Invisible Shield products on many devices (iPods, GPS, PSP) and have always been satisfied. The IS seem to be stickier and softer and just stick very well, even on the edges unlike harder protectors.

I actually use an iPod video screen cover (just the screen portion) for my 8800. You cannot see it unless you look VERY close and it covers the whole screen from just above the trackball ring to halfway through the word Blackberry. I am very picky and have been satisfied with this setup as I don't want it extending past the screen portion of the phone.

Regardless of which one you use, IS makes very good quality products.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #16
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadstk
I have to say Ixxx8217;m a little disappointed. Invisible Shield applied just fine, but itxxx8217;s not even close to being as optically clear to the ScreenPatronus.
Interesting. I haven't used ScreenPatronus so I can't compare side-by-side but my IS full body protector is totally clear. There's a slight bit of "texture" (feels perfectly smooth) that I can see at certain angles but that's it.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 AM   #17
joespys
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

I am using SCREENGUARDZ and it works great and fits the 8800 perfectly - I would go with them if you need it

Once you go BlackBerry! !
AT&T Wireless > Cingular > AT&T
Old 04-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #18
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Interesting. I haven't used ScreenPatronus so I can't compare side-by-side but my IS full body protector is totally clear. There's a slight bit of "texture" (feels perfectly smooth) that I can see at certain angles but that's it.
I would agree with this. I was using an iPod video IS screen protector on my 8800 (returned for rail issue and new IS on the way) and even with it technically being for the video iPod (so fit was over the screen by a few mm here and there), I would show it to people and they had to REALLY look at it (close/angles) to see that there was a film over the screen. What I really like about IS is my success rate with installation. I have used several brands and I get it right the first time usually with IS.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 AM   #19
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

I too order ScreenPatronus and did not like that the upper top of the 8800 was not covered. I ordered ScreenPatronus because of positive reviews but found the skin to be disappointing. Thereafter, I went back to Best Skins Ever and bought that skin and it works great on the 8800 as it did on my 8700. Cannot complain about it at all. Can't even tell there's a skin on there.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #20
pdqgp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Don't worry about it

I just applied the Invisible Shield product and am mostly happy. I didn't install the side portions as I don't have that much patience to sit there and get ends to stick. F-it, I threw them out. I'm not worried about the chromed sides anyway.

Application took about 20 minutes. I wish they included a little bit more of the spray solution...mine leaked a bit during shipping. I did have enough though.

The only area that I'm slightly concerned with is just above the green talk and red end keys. The material overhangs but just a wee bit and I hope it doesn't come loose there over time. I don't think it will. I will trim it in a few days once it's all completely dry. Feels just like the 3M product I've used on my cars. Very durable.

I do like the fact that it makes the 8800 less slippery. Gives you a little something more in the way of grip so dropping it accidentally will be less likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Closed Thread