BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
corbyph

Default Emails not deleting from handheld

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone come across the following problem.

A manager has a Blackberry that he uses while on the road, all emails transfer to device OK. Back in the office his secretary has delegate access to his Outlook Inbox, whenever she reads emails the update to show the message as opened is transferred to the Blackberry correctly. However when she deletes any emails these remain on the device indefinately.

This appears to only happen with the Inbox, the Calendar appears to function totally correctly.

Device is a 7730 with 3.7.121 software on and desktop software is 3.6.2.9
Server software is 3.6.2.14

Any assistance would be gratefully accepted as I cant stand the hassel any longer.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

These may be in Saved Messages. Go into your Saved Messages folder and delete from there, rather than the regular message list.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-24-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Umm, I think you are talking about an entirely different issue Mark.

corbyph, is the assistant (lets be P.C. about her title ...heh) permanently deleting or emptying the Deleted Items folder of these messages?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:48 AM   #4
corbyph

She is more than likely just leaving them in the Deleted items folder. Not sure how well you know Outlook but if you have access to someones inbox and delete a message it ends up in your deleted items folder. Was wondering if this is the major problem here.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280, 7290, 7250, 7100

I don't recall what version this was available in but on the device go into the users messages, press wheel, go to options, general options, change hide filed messages to yes and see if he still sees them.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #6
MikeDaGeek

Model: 7250

I am also having a version of this problem ...
permenant deletion leaves the message on the device so I stopped doing that ...
also we found that if you accumulate over 500 messages in the deleted items folder on your outlook account the blackberry only holds onto the first 500 transactions (so it is suggested to set your outlook account up so that it empties your deleted items upon closing) That tip came from the FAQ at RIM.

sugested solutions are
Do not permanently delete from inbox (just hit delete not shift+delete)
empty deleted items often
reconcile regularly (easier on the 4.+ versions)

I recently upgraded to the 7250 with 4.0 on the handheld and the 4.+ on the BES, however when I file a message it seems to get left on the device on not move out of the inbox (and no its not just being listed as filed, and being left I have the Hide Filed Messages option enabled)

Any ideas?

TIA

Mike
Old 03-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
rbgatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Not sure if this is related but I noticed on my 7520 that messages 30 or more days old are not automatically being deleted (options, general options, keep messages - 30 days). Using BWC and 4.0.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
technophobic

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbyph
Has anyone come across the following problem.

A manager has a Blackberry that he uses while on the road, all emails transfer to device OK. Back in the office his secretary has delegate access to his Outlook Inbox, whenever she reads emails the update to show the message as opened is transferred to the Blackberry correctly. However when she deletes any emails these remain on the device indefinately.

This appears to only happen with the Inbox, the Calendar appears to function totally correctly.

Device is a 7730 with 3.7.121 software on and desktop software is 3.6.2.9
Server software is 3.6.2.14

Any assistance would be gratefully accepted as I cant stand the hassel any longer.
If the delegate accesses the bosses mailbox using her login then when she deleted a message on his mailbox the deleted item will go to her deleted items and not the bosses, this means the BES cannot find the message using the REF ID in the users mailbox and therefore does not know what to do with it. You can test this ask the boss to log into outlook and delete a message does it reconcile on the device.

thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 01:35 AM   #9
scudd

Model: 7250
Default Deleting messages policy on the BES

I am working on BES 4.1.The device is synced with our Lotus Notes Mail servers.I have set the delete option on the blackberry to "HH and Mailbox".It's working fine.What I wanted to know was that is there any option on the BES itself ie setting it in the IT policy so that I don't require my users to set the "HH and Mailbox" option on the handheld??The policy itself should take care of the 2 way deletion??
Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
kage13

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbyph
She is more than likely just leaving them in the Deleted items folder. Not sure how well you know Outlook but if you have access to someones inbox and delete a message it ends up in your deleted items folder. Was wondering if this is the major problem here.
Basically this is a certain drawback of BES and the BB device. If the BES connection to the mailbox does not see the messages that were deleted in the BB users mailbox, then its assuming that they are still in the users mailbox somewhere and will not do anything with the messages on the device.

I had a similar issue with one of my C-level people. His problem was that he was either emptying his deleted items before the next BB connection for it to realize that they were deleted to properly reconcile on the device. Or he was permanently deleting the emails and which caused the emails to be kept on the device, even though they were deleted from the mailbox.

Make sense? Basically, the BB/BES connection has to be able to see any changes that have been made on the users mailbox, otherwise nothing will be reflected on the BB device.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
Darstedly

Model: 7100v
Carrier: BT and Vodafone

You can teach delegate to drag items into the owner's mailbox Deleted Items Folder or try this registry fix

Items that are deleted from a shared mailbox go to the wrong folder in Outlook

You will still need to educate the PA's/secretaries to not shift delete

Good Luck as i know our users just don't understand the concept
Closed Thread