Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #1
rbgatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Question Sprint 8703e Coverage

Please Login to Remove!

I have been a happy Nextel 7520 user for a couple of years and I'm ready for a move now that it's clear Nextel and their BB's are going no where. My inclination is move to Sprint (yes, I know it's the same company and different network) and an 8703e.

There's no question in my mind on equipment...looking forward to the new model, benifits and speed.

My question is on general coverage vs. other carriers...

I know this is a loaded question but what opinions are out there regarding this? I'm located in southern New England

How common is EVDO coverage (cities vs. the mountains)?

With free roaming, is coverage virtually everywhere?

Who do you feel clearly has the better coverage?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Cingular and Verizon offer the best coverage n New England, no question about it. As long as you stay in the major metros you will have no problem.

That being said, I have a good friend who travels widely in the region and swears by Sprint. He doesn't have great coverage in Vermont, northern NH and northern Maine. I can't remember him complaining about southern New England however. No carrier works that great driving in the mountains of NH, Me, and VT.

Have you looked at the coverage maps? Looking at that, it appears they have pretty good coverage.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:03 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

deleted double post

Last edited by Dubdub; 04-13-2007 at 08:05 AM..
Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Deleted - double post
Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
rbgatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Cingular and Verizon offer the best coverage n New England, no question about it. As long as you stay in the major metros you will have no problem.

That being said, I have a good friend who travels widely in the region and swears by Sprint. He doesn't have great coverage in Vermont, northern NH and northern Maine. I can't remember him complaining about southern New England however. No carrier works that great driving in the mountains of NH, Me, and VT.

Have you looked at the coverage maps? Looking at that, it appears they have pretty good coverage.
Thanks for the info. I have looked at the coverage maps and with most of New England looking like it has coverage...well, you know how coverage maps could be. I understand that hi speed data may only be available in more populated areas.

I have a strong requirement to have service in central New Hampshire.

I may get a trial phone and do some service "can you hear me now" checking around my area...
Old 04-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Best bet is to check real world coverage during the trial period. Maps are only of limited use and aren't totally accurate for obvious reasons.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
bulldoggy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Although I cannot reply regarding coverage in New England, I too was a Nextel 7520 user up until about 3 months ago. I switched to Sprint (8703e) and am very satisfied. The tethering option alone was worth the switch not to mention the increase in data speed and screen clarity.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Where in central NH? I have a friend with Sprint and will ask him once i find out where you need it. I think Sprint is spotty north and west of Concord and anywhere in the hills.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
rbgatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldoggy View Post
Although I cannot reply regarding coverage in New England, I too was a Nextel 7520 user up until about 3 months ago. I switched to Sprint (8703e) and am very satisfied. The tethering option alone was worth the switch not to mention the increase in data speed and screen clarity.
Well, since my original post, I'm trialing an 8703e right now (Nextel service untouched) with Sprint. So far so good but I won't get a chance to test it in NH.

What is this tethering option you talk about...never heard of that...

Thanks for the opinion.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
rbgatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Where in central NH? I have a friend with Sprint and will ask him once i find out where you need it. I think Sprint is spotty north and west of Concord and anywhere in the hills.
It's near I-93 called Campton, slightly north of Plymouth.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgatti View Post

Thanks!
That will be touch and go. Up in the hills coverage is spotty at best. Verizon is the best in that area and it is spotty also. I will check with my friend to see.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
jmandoman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8820

I also recently switched to a Sprint 8703e and was worried about coverage. I'm in upstate NY in the foothills of the Adirondacks. Coverage at my home is spotty with all carriers. Last time I considered Sprint 3 years ago they told me not to bother because I wouldn't get a signal where I lived. Cingular and Verizon were spotty when I had them 3-5 years ago but my last phone (Nextel i830) was strong (I didn't have a BB with any of them).

At home now with my Sprint 8703e, the phone is generally roaming. However, I receive and place calls even with 0-2 bars showing. Although it breaks up a bit with no bars. I get email and web coverage showing 1X with only a couple of places in the house having problems. I usually only have to get closer to a window in those places. Overall, it works very well and I'm happy with it.

When I travel to Conn, I go through Pittsfield, Lee, Winsted, Torrington and only in the real hilly areas have I had any problems.

Around Saratoga, Albany, Hartford, Springfield I'm not roaming and web shows 1EVDO. EVDO is fast! Comments on the web and people I know on the EDGE network say its slow.

I haven't been to NH since getting the Sprint BB so I'm not sure what it's like there.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #13
peter_b
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

I travel through much of CT and all along the I-87 corridor up to Saratoga Springs, NY. Coverage has gotten substantially better since I switched from Nextel (7520) in Oct. Initially, their roaming agreement (with I assume Verizon) didn't support data - which was pretty aggravating to say the least. That's been fixed for a while now. EVDO coverage is pretty impressive... had it from the start at my house in southern Litchfield county. My iDEN phones were totally useless at my house.

Thanks to the previous poster I'm just now noticing that I have EVDO coverage in Saratoga Springs as of today. I'm not sure when this started... I didn't notice this when I was here last Wed and Thur. I do know Verizon has been up and running with EVDO in this area since the fall, so it's nice to see Sprint catching up.

Coverage has been so, so on the route 7 corridor up to Manchester, VT. My 7520 actually seemed to be a bit better at the fringes of coverage up there.

All that said, for me, in the locations and buildings I travel to, the 8703e has *vastly* better coverage than the 7520 (regardless of EVDO).

I would agree that Verizon does appear to have better coverage than Sprint, but, for me, it's absolutely not worth the aggravation/expense of dealing with them.

The only other comment I would offer on the switch is that Sprint's customer service/billing departments are next to worthless. If your experience is like mine, be prepared for some pain when you switch... it is, however, worth it in the long run.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
Dubdub
Appleinator

Generally, as long as you are n the major highways/Interstates you will OK. No one has good coverage in the hills however.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
JdubbleR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

I live in southern CT and have a Sprint 8703e.. coverage has been great for me almost anywhere in CT...
Old 04-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #16
sheakt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

Coverage is good by route 93... Good in Plymouth... Good in Waterville Valley (roaming on Verizon) Spotty along route 49 (Upper Mad River Road area).

--K

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgatti View Post

Thanks!
Closed Thread