Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
gerald.ottawa

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: telus
Default 9530, Won't Turn On Since Upgrade to 5.0.0.419

Please Login to Remove!

I upgraded the storm 9530 (storm 1) the other day and since then, I have had many problems:

1. I can turn off the phone with the red button, but it will only turn on if I remove the battery and re-instert it.

2. The menu (button to the right of the green does not work as well as it used to. If I press it, if often does not do anything. If I continue, the little scroll menu will appear in the middle of the screen (to go to other aps) and then if I press the red button, it will disappear and then the menu will appear.

3. When phone rings, the green button does not answer it. I need to press the screen 'answer' key.

Can anyone tell me what to do? Thanks. I'm on Telus, in Canada
Old 06-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Keyboard and button response problems can be cause by moisture exposure. It may be coincidence that you noticed this at the same time as the OS upgrade.

Be aware that a sweaty pocket, foggy shower room, etc have been reported to cause problems.

If this is a possibility in your case, you need to remove the battery now, and let the device dry. See the article at http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/G...ckBerry_Wet%3F.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

Gerald,

5.0.0.419 for me was a nice parking space at the end of a very long road through beta hell. However, IMO the O/S for the 9530 still has a long way to go. Both the OS and the Storm platform. Sadly it appears RIM has turned the page on the 9530. I hope they do better for the 9550 crowd.

I am at the tail end of my experience on the 9530 and my phone is beginning its death rattle. The hourglass icon routinely comes on, the phone changes its ringtones on its own (which actually is more comical than annoying), and it glitches a ton. Adding third party apps to your 9530 is not advised. I have had to remove all of them because each one caused problems and hogged memory.

This is how I see it. Some companies developed touchscreen phones and designed features / applications specifically to milk optimal performance out of the phone. Blackberry integrated touchscreen technology into a Blackberry platform. Other than the Blackberry services (which are wonderful) I have yet to encounter any intuitive applications for the Storm that gained it notoriety. Great effort for Blackberry but I am giving them a B- on the touchscreen side.

Now the Blackberry crowd will climb all over me, but this is in defense of qualities of a Blackberry phone that I agree are rock solid. I am specifically grading the touchscreen aspect of the Blackberry Storm.

Gerald, your best bet is to either get a 9550, or check out one of the other great Blackberry models because none of those will disappoint you. If you are a touchscreen fanatic like me, Blackberry is not where you want to be - especially with the 9530 which has, developmentally speaking, been set out to pasture.

Just keeping it real.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 06-28-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Closed Thread