Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default Add Icon on Storm for quick access to Google Calendar

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a way to access my Google Calendar from the Storm so I don't have to go into the browser each time.

Was hoping I could add Google Calendar as a desktop Icon somehow? Tried the google sync and did not like it.

I am thinking it can't be that hard to do I'm just not sure how to do this.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

Angelot,

if you have your Google email / calendar account synced with your Storm, then you access the Google calendar via the Blackberry calendar application. Think of your BB calendar icon as your Google Calendar icon. Normally, I entered ALL my calendar entries from my computer and they would shoot to the phone calendar app. You can do it from the phone too, but its much easier from a computer IMO. The Google Calendar is AWESOME and invaluable to me.

Google Sync is just an app that allows you to sync all your email and phone contacts with your Google Account. It's not a calendar oriented application. Google Sync is invaluable being that if your phone is lost or damaged, you can shoot all your phone contacts and email contacts back to your new phone. Google sync will also update wirelessly in order to reflect any changes you make on your phone.

I used Google Sync to shoot ALL my phone information that was on my Storm to my Droid X when I made the transition. No USB cable and BB desktop manager necessary. All the information was uploaded to my new Droid OTA.

Verizon 9530
Old 09-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

The issue I am having is that I have BES for my work calendar and then a regular POP3 email connected to Google for my personal calendar. To make things even more complicated, my wife and I share a google calendar but she has her own POP3 email address.

When doing the Google sync, it's somehow syncing her activities to my calendar on the blackberry and then to the my work calendar on Lotus Notes desktop.

Problem is that you can't tell the difference between my wife's activites, my personal activites, and then work activites entered with Lotus Notes syncing to Blackberry via BES.

My wife's email account is not one of the accounts with the option to sync on google calendar so how is it syncing.

What I want to be able to do is to get my personal activities to sync from Google to Blackberry only. Now I am getting them syned to Blackberry and then my work calendar in Lotus Notes with no idea which account it's coming from.

Anything I can do here to resolve this?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Angelot,

I think the solution is rather simple. Terminate the pop3 email connection. Start a new Gmail account and sync that account Google calendar to your phone. Just use that email account for your calendar and Google sync. Make sure you terminate the calendar sync from the old account and then sync the new Gmail calendar to your phone.
You can still keep your email from the old pop3 if you don't want to go through the hassle of changing your new email addy.
This should work for you.

Verizon 9530
Old 09-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't see how doing that would be any different than what I am doing now. Problem I have now is that I have personal e-mail, work e-mail, and wife's e-mail all syncing onto my Blackberry and then to my work calendar in Lotus Notes.

I don't want the personal e-mail and wife's e-mail getting from google calendar all the way back to Lotus Notes calendar through Blackberry.

Your suggestion would not change anything. It would just be synching the same information/way through a different e-mail address.

What I am looking for is some way to control the activities that sync on my POP3 accounts or prevent the Blackberry from sending the activites back to my Lotus Notes desktop through BES.

Is this possible? I'm not sure it is...
Old 09-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Angelot,

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you just wanted a calender fix.

You have two choices. Tell your wife to get a new email address OR get and new email address for yourself. The email and calendar issues stem from the integration of the POP3 accounts. I have never dabbled with POP3 connections simply because they always have issues when you begin syncing these accounts with cellular services.

I don't see any other way of solving your issue. There very well may be but I am not big into the POP3 milieu because of its issues.

Verizon 9530
Old 09-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't think I am changing e-mail addresess for this.

However, I was wondering if there is a way to place an Icon on the Storm that would go directly to Google calendar through a link.

Can't be that difficult, is it?

I am thinking of something similar to a desktop icon on a PC. Then I could press a single button on the Storm which would get me to my google.

Then I would have to mess around with the syncing mess.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Angelot,

Ill also urge you to move away from Lotus Notes or Outlook. Both of these email clients require an actual web-based account anyway. Because web based accounts such as Hotmail, Yahoo, Google have advanced themselves so much, these pay clients simple are no longer necessary. They prey on consumers because of their familiarity with them. Eliminating the expensive middle-man will also eliminate the need for POP3 services and all the associated problems you WILL have when you use them.
Simply sync a web based service to your Storm and your problems will end. You will have email, calendar, navigation services, and more all tied into one account. Your experience will continue to get better as the services compete and above all, they are FREE.
Why hand Microsoft money (and a lot of it) for buggy software?

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 09-16-2010 at 10:31 AM..
Old 09-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I can't change Lotus Notes because that's determine by my company's IT department.

Your response has me re-thinking my options in terms of managing personal/shared and work calendars on the storm.

Is there a calendaring software I can run on the Storm which i would ONLY sync with google where I could view/edit my personal activites and my wife's personal activities on our existing POP3 mail accounts?

Then I could keep my existing Notes/Blackberry work calendar separate.

If there is a calendaring program you could suggest, that would be helpful. And I don't need the contact syncing.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #10
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Angelot,

again, I think the solution is as simple as I mentioned a couple posts back with regard to the calendar only option. From what I recall, you have to manually sync Google calendar with your Blackberry calendar.
For the best results, my suggestion would be to start fresh. Use BBSAK or JLcmdr to wipe your phone. Only restore your phone list and not your settings. So create a backup list before you wipe. Then open a new Gmail account. Sync the calendar to your Blackberry on the Google website. Get that up and running and make sure it works. That should be absolutely no problem. Then sync your POP3 email account to your phone under a second icon. Blackberry lets you sync up to 5 I recall.
With this approach, you would have your Blackberry calendar independently populated by Google and you could still send and recieve emails on your POP3.
You could try just syncing the Google calendar first to see if it boots your POP3 account but this might cause a conflict. I always believe in a totally fresh install to eliminate any possible conflicts or "ghosts in the machine" when you install over things.
Let me know how this goes for you.

PS - I know of no independent calendar programs that will give you an icon option. They very well may exist. But you are better served by using the BB calendar synced with a calendar service as the phone is designed to do this for you.

Verizon 9530
Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK. Let me run this past you to see if you can help.

As I explained when synching Google calendar from my POP3 to Blackberry I was getting my personal activities showing up on my Blackberry Calendar and then to my work calendar via Lotus Notes.

While I want to view my POP3 (personal e-mail) on my blackberry, I don't want it being visible on my Lotus Notes desktop.

However, my wife's POP3 email has an entry in my calendar where it's doing exactly what I want. It's showing the activity on the Blackberry but not on my Notes desktop.

My wife's email is not an option under "sync these calendars". If I take my e-mail address out of "sync these calendars" is there a way to get the activites to still show up on the calendar but not in Notes.

It seems to work only when adding an activity for my wife. Do you understand why it's doing this?

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
.Doe

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A

While I can't answer how to put a direct link to Google Calendar on the BB, I have both my personal calendar and my work calendar synced to my Storm. Both are commingled (but in different colors) under the Calendar icon on the device (I can also view them independently by specifying which calendar to view). My work calendar syncs via the BES to Outlook and my personal calendar syncs via Google Sync with Google Calendar; my personal events do not sync back to my work calendar. New calendar entries I create on the Storm are by default Google Calendar entries; however, I can change that to create work calendar entries by specifying that it should be saved to my Desktop (BES/Outlook) calendar. While I don't have another party also syncing with Google, I don't expect that would be an issue. The biggest downside to this method is that Google Calendar only keeps a maximum 4 weeks of historical calendar data on the phone; for more than that I have to use the web-based version. The key to this method is to specify that the default BB cical is the Google calendar; that determines which calendar Google Sync will sync with. Look at the info here for a detailed explanation of how to set this up: (I can't post links yet so bear with me on this one, replace "dot" with "." and "slash" with "/": www dot google dot com slash support slash forum slash p slash Google+Mobile slash thread?tid=2a3026c021a95a47&hl=en

Hope this helps.

Doe
Closed Thread