BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
ncitrdude

Model: 9000
Carrier: att
Default Unable to view exchange mailbox folders, file messages

Please Login to Remove!

I used to own a Blackberry 957 that worked great with filing messages. I could select file message from the menu, and select the subfolder in my Exchange inbox, and the message would wirelessly reconcile (this was with BES 3.x I believe).

At my current job, I have a 7100g running on BES 4.0. For some reason, when I select file from the drop-down menu, "Desktop" is the only folder I can see, and i can't expand it. Shouldn't this be displaying my Exchange Inbox and all subfolders instead?

I am using wireless sync for everything (messages, calendar, tasks, memos), Outlook 2003 in cached Exchange mode, and the latest version of the desktop manager.

One thing I've also noticed is that when I go into the desktop manager and go into Intellisync, Configure reconciliation, the Personal Folder pulldown menu at the bottom is set to none, and there are no other options to select.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Lemurian16

Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile

I had a an similar to this. I had the user go to the options on his Calendar and the Wireless Sync was set to no, they set it yes and the problem was solved. Also check your filters on your email settings. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
ncitrdude

Just checked my settings, wireless calendar sync is already set to yes, and the filtering stuff looks all correct. Don't think the filtering stuff is related to the folder views though. Anybody else experiencing this problem?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
Lemurian16

Are your folders that you are trying to move the item into a personal folder or a folder on your exchange server? If it is a personal folder then you won't be able to move it using the BB. If wireless sync is enabled on the server then you can not sync using the Desktop Manager.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #5
ncitrdude

They are on the exchange server (not a personal folder). I'm aware that Desktop manager is not used to sync messages if wireless sync is on, but you still need the desktop manager to at least configure sync of multiple folders in your exchange mailbox (aka your own calendar as well as a public folder calendar), right?

I feel like the role of the desktop manager has changed in a way that I'm not fully aware of from the pre v4.0 days (both BES and desktop manager).
Old 08-31-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
Lemurian16

Quote:
They are on the exchange server (not a personal folder). I'm aware that Desktop manager is not used to sync messages if wireless sync is on, but you still need the desktop manager to at least configure sync of multiple folders in your exchange mailbox (aka your own calendar as well as a public folder calendar), right?
Yes and no, there is an option to still sync but wireless sync has to be disabled on the server for it to work. OOC, which version of DM are you using? Maybe the software is somehow trying to override the handheld thus only giving you Desktop as a folder to move mail to? *shrug* Though from what you are describing you should be able to see your folders on the server and move items to them.

I hope this helps somewhat.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
ncitrdude

Fixed it.

I'm using 4.0.1.10 of DM.

Not sure what was going on with my inability to view folders, but I did a complete wipe of the BB, and reinstalled the OS, and everything worked perfectly. Don't know what I did differently this time that I didn't do before, but I'm not complaining.

Question though, as I'm still not fully understanding the relationship between DM and wireless sync. I am successfully syncing my contacts (2 contact lists), tasks, and calendar. Currently when I go to Configure PIM in DM, they are all unchecked except for calendar, which is set to Blackberry Wireless Sync. My tasks and memopad are syncing to the corresponding default in my Exchange mailbox. My contacts however are being synced to my default Exchange contacts folder, as well as a second contacts subfolder (called Work contacts). In the configure PIM section of DM, it shows that I have those 2 contacts folders mapped, but since it is unchecked, what determines which folders get wirelessly synchronized? So for example, if I wanted to sync a 3rd contact folder, would I map it in DM but leave it unchecked, and BES would automatically start syncing the extra folder? Sorry if my question is confusing or redundant, thx...
Old 09-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #8
akdumga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

I don't think the Desktop Manager plays any role in syncrhonization anymore. As far as contacts go, I believe the Sync server only synchronizes your base Contacts folder from your mailbox and doesn't even look at any subfolders.

I might be mistaken, but I can't seem to get sub-folders to sync at all (even if I add those folders in the DM config).
Old 02-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #9
BBBOZ

Model: 8700c

Not sure anyone still have this problem;
I was having this problem on/off for a couple of months. Normally it was been resolved with a handheld wipe + DM reinstall. I finally noticed that the outlook folders were disappearing (or not been "expandable") after changes were made to the user's outlook profile (i.e. adding a new email service or address book).
Quick and simple workaround: create "dummy" Blackberry profiles to be used only with Desktop manager and NOT on the user's outlook.