brbishop
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Visual Voicemail Nightmare

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to document a recent event in case someone else needs help with their phone and has the same issue.

On Nov. 16th I upgraded to the Blackberry 9700 on T-Mobile's network. From that date until yesterday, I was unable to receive a voicemail notification on my phone. All other aspects of the phone worked but I could not get a notification when someone left me a voicemail. The voicemail itself worked, but I would have to arbitrarily dial in and check voicemail throughout the day or wait a couple of minutes past a missed call indicator to see if someone left a message. This was hardly the way my phone should work.

So, after three trouble tickets, two master tickets, a master reset, returning the phone once, getting two new SIM cards, and speaking with ATSG (T-Mobile's advanced technical support group) for a total of nearly 19.5 hours, it was finally solved yesterday evening.

Turns out I am on a Blackberry Exchange Server environment and that T-Mobile had my account noted as such. However, the way I understand it, and some of you folks can comment on if this is right, they also needed to have the BIS service running for me to get the visual voicemail (or any voicemail) on this particular phone. (Not to mention the obvious VVM feature added from T-Mobile).

On a side note, my voicemail worked on a MyTouch 3g phone. Even my old Blackberry 8120 would receive the texts beginning with "VVM", which I understand was some type of text the 9700 would translate using the visual voicemail application.

So, if anyone has similar problems feel free to PM me or comment, as I will try to point you in the right direction as much as possible. I believe they added the BIS service along with the BES service.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I searched the web high and low to see if anyone else had any issues like this and turns out that I couldn't find anything, so maybe I was the only one affected.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
phrider
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

Yup. You're not alone. And my situation sounds like yours in several ways.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...email-vvm.html

I had a similar provisioning issue that may be part of the problem. I did a "double port" of numbers that required re-provisioning my 6+ year-old account (I ported my old TMO number out to a VoIP provider while porting a Verizon number into TMO to take over the old TMO account and contract -- possible, but messy).

The Blackberry service was supposed to be set up as "BES/BIS" but was set up as "BES bar BIS" which blocked BIS. VVM wouldn't work.

The BES/BIS got fixed, but it took additional time to get the VVM going. It could have just been the delay in sending service books, but eventually the VVM and regular enhanced voicemail started working. See my comments and details in the other thread.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
fritz269

Model: 9700
PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbishop View Post
or wait a couple of minutes past a missed call indicator to see if someone left a message.
What happend after you waited a couple of minutes?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
ChrisFBBS

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz269 View Post
I would think he called VM after a missed call.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
phrider

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz269 View Post
In my case, nothing happened for hours.... no voicemail waiting indicator, no VVM message, nothing.

If you were in an area with no signal, got a call, and the caller left a voicemail, you'd never know it. No missed call item since you had no signal when the call came in, no voicemail indicator, and no VVM.

This problem gets solved by a long call with the TMO Blackberry-level tech support about VVM provisioning for the Blackberry.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #6
duane534

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T

Use YouMail.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
fritz269

Model: 9700
PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrider View Post
In my case, nothing happened for hours.... no voicemail waiting indicator, no VVM message, nothing.

If you were in an area with no signal, got a call, and the caller left a voicemail, you'd never know it. No missed call item since you had no signal when the call came in, no voicemail indicator, and no VVM.

This problem gets solved by a long call with the TMO Blackberry-level tech support about VVM provisioning for the Blackberry.
OK, just wanted to make sure I did not have this issue. Glad you got it fixed and yes Youmail is good too.
Closed Thread