BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 PM   #61
TheLateJC

Model: 8700g

Please Login to Remove!

OK Gents, Ive got this problem sussed at last... And the results are not good :(.

The story is I wiped the device and reloaded, when I redid enterprise activaton (after a visit to IT unfortunately , I got the BB Browser, a step in the right direction, which I then proceeded to test by changing the default browser configuration but got 503 errors on everything it touched.

I asked an IT guy and he informed me that our company is too cheapskate to purchase MDS and so Telstra is serving our Inet connectivity through some dodgy proxy. Access to mobile.bb.com is actually subscription based, and so it's deliberately screwed because we aren't paying for it, and we also cannot get LAN connectivity through our BBs for the same reason.

So I'm stuffed... no additional free games, no Overlord theme, no wireless admin of my UNIX boxes. It's all so very depressing.

I have a feeling that they are lying about the access to mobile.bb.com though, I can hit the page, and the site tells me that I have an incorrect browser version, not that I don't have access, so I'm still working on it... Hmm thinking about it, it might be worth going through EricaJ1074's threads again to see if I can magic up some access ;)
Old 06-07-2006, 12:09 AM   #62
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

I finally got Telstra to work with my 8700r but just the OS only. Everytime I use the .alx that jibi posted my BlackBerry acts funny, gives me sim barred messages when making calls, etc... but if I install the OS only w/out the edited .alx it works but I have the old vodafone theme not the new one. Bottom line Telstra has been a royal pain in the you know what for me and my BlackBerry.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #63
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

LOL I got it to work by adding a link that I discovered was missing from my Bookmarks. Go read my mobile.blackberry.com help needed thread. But I am on a BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) so your problem may be the fact that your IT policy has blocked browsing capabilities.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:04 AM   #64
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaJ1074
LOL I got it to work by adding a link that I discovered was missing from my Bookmarks. Go read my mobile.blackberry.com help needed thread. But I am on a BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) so your problem may be the fact that your IT policy has blocked browsing capabilities.
I doubt it, because he stated he can browse other sites just fine
Old 06-07-2006, 01:08 AM   #65
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Then I wonder what the problem could be. I should have been clearer and said they block access to some sites possibly, not all. Or is this even close to what the issue is?
Old 06-07-2006, 02:20 AM   #66
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

to my very limited knowledge of BES, i believe the IT policy setting either restricts ALL browsing, or allows ALL browsing.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 AM   #67
jrusso2006
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default Problems with Telstra? not here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic
Who is NOT having problems with the Telstra os on their 8700?

I come here (to Perth and Sydney) often, from Nevada, and have had no problems with Telstra on my 8700c. Flawless in fact. Yes Optus works too.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #68
HI-Tek

Has anyone else using a 8700c with cingular had problems with Telstra?
I'm very tempted to try it (for the today screens), but I do not want to sacrifice battery life. Also does anyone know if Cingular is planning on releasing a version that can support today screens?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #69
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI-Tek
Has anyone else using a 8700c with cingular had problems with Telstra?
I'm very tempted to try it (for the today screens), but I do not want to sacrifice battery life. Also does anyone know if Cingular is planning on releasing a version that can support today screens?
I am using Telstra with Cing and I am not having any problems. I have used Bharti, Orange UK and now Telstra and my batt life is better with Telstra than with any other os so far.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #70
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitty
I finally got Telstra to work with my 8700r but just the OS only. Everytime I use the .alx that jibi posted my BlackBerry acts funny, gives me sim barred messages when making calls, etc... but if I install the OS only w/out the edited .alx it works but I have the old vodafone theme not the new one. Bottom line Telstra has been a royal pain in the you know what for me and my BlackBerry.
I read your post on this in the Today Themes thread too. I don't know why this isn't working for you because Telstra and my 8700r are getting along fine. Are you renaming the original blackberry.alx file (or deleting it) and then inserting jibi's file in the same folder? (I know that's a basic question but when things that should work don't, you have to explore all angles.)
Old 06-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #71
emporer_troy

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

What do I need to do to downgrade or reinstall the original OS from Cingular. I have the software. I've deleted bharti and telstra from my computer. However, when I install the original Cingular 8700 software and connect back to desktop manager, I am not promted to upgrade my handheld's OS. How do I revert back to the original OS. ??????

Please help.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #72
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

When I did that all what I needed is to start apploader and it prompted me as if I want to downgrade.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #73
emporer_troy

AHAHA YEAH...I think I did it!! Ok, if its not broke, dont fix it. Should have remembered that the first time.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #74
emporer_troy

Thank you!
Old 06-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #75
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Why downgrade?
Old 06-08-2006, 04:01 PM   #76
Jason930

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason930
I upgraded to Telstra about a week ago (8700r) and my battery life is terrible :(
Before the upgrade I could get about 2 days without a charge, now I can't even make it 1 full day, starting at 5am it is usually turning the wireless off on me around 6-8pm.

Interesting comment made that it might depend on the battery level at the time of the upgrade, I can't recall what mine was at.

I LOVE the Zen theme and don't want to go back to stock, this was my first modification, haven't tried Bharti, I just might have to. I upgraded someone else in the office to Telstra, going to see how his battery life has been.
I seem to have sorted out my battery issues. I generally never turn it off when charging, I just leave it on, plugged into the wall charger. It was 9am and had only been off charge for about 3-4 hours and had drained 30%. Frustrated, I turned it off, hooked it up to the USB cable and didn't turn it on until the light was a solid green (about 2 hours). This gave me great battery life for the rest of the day, I then decided to power it off this time for it's overnight charge, and since then battery life is back to normal. I've gone back to leaving it on for its charging which seems to be just fine again.
Anyone with battery problems may want to give it a couple good full power-off charges, seems to have done the trick for me.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #77
emporer_troy

Acutally, I thought I had downgraded from all of my Bharti and Telstra issues when I uninstalled everything associated with Cingular and RIM and installed Cingular's software v4.1.0.194 back onto my laptop and wiped the BB clean.

After reinstalling device manager, cingular v4.0.1.194, and restoring my BB; all of my previous Cingular settings came back, and suddenly my device began to work again, no more f*ing problems. Instant BES activation and NO email issues.

Then I checked the themes, ..hmm, wow, still had all of the theme's from Telstra, then checked the settings>options>about, and what do you know, I'm still running Telstra v4.1.0.309 and it all works!

I'm just leaving it alone now.

Thank you
Old 06-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #78
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I am really tempted to do this on a Cingular 8700 so I can get the Vodafone theme. I've tried to stay on top of all the issues but haven't had alot of time lately to monitor the boards.

1. How long does this whole process take?
2. If I run into problems in the middle, is there a chance I could lose my BES connection and functionality?
3. Any known problems with Jeep Grand Cherokee or Plantronics BT setups?

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #79
lgreenberg

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50

1. At the most twenty minutes

2. Most likely. I've experienced different things each upgrade. The first time I had to do an Enterprise Activation, password etc. The next few times the Enterprise Activation has started and completed all on it's own after the upgrade.

3. I was using a Plantronics Discovery 640 up until a few weeks ago without any issues.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #80
heskech

Model: 8700c
Exclamation Upgrade to Telstra from Cingular OS - impact to signal

I upgraded my 8700c (w/ stock Cingular OS) to the Telstra OS yesterday to take advantage of the new themes, louder ringer, and in hope of fixing some strange connectivity behavior I am seeing with the WebMessenger IM software. This was purely meant to "experiment" with the new OS to see if it improves quality and reliability in these areas.

On my 25 mile train-ride into work this morning, I monitored the signal between my 8700c device and 7290 device (both are on the Cingular network, 7290 running latest Cingular v194 OS). The ride to work is long enough to cross several cell areas which allowed me to see how the two devices handle signals differently. I expected the two devices to show similar signal levels but found the 8700c with the Telstra OS to drop in and out of coverage. When stationary, the 8700c w/ Telstra and the 7290's signal levels are almost identical.

Now, I don't remember the 8700c having problems with signal prior to the upgrade and am wondering if others are seeing similar behavior when moving between cell areas? Ideally, it would have been nice to compare two 8700c devices (or two EDGE devices) with the different OS's but unfortunately, I don't have another 8700c to test.

If the Telstra did negatively impact signal quality, I would assume either a bug has been introduced in the OS post v194 or the carriers (e.g. Cingular and Telstra) tune the configuration of their OS builds to their networks. Does anyone know if either or both are the case? Because, if Cingular tunes the configuration of the OS to operate better with the Cingular network, then sticking with a Cingular stock OS would presumably be the better way to go and this might explain the issues I've been seeing.
Closed Thread