BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #41
buggle_96
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

Maybe its just me on my 8700, but what are the key shortcuts? Like how are you guys viewing satellite images?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #42
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Has anyone had trouble with BT puck initializing ok but then almost immediately disconnecting when using live search, and did you correct the problem?

You can see my model and OS info. Other info:

* the BT/gps initialization runs when the app is launched and seems to complete without error, but when I launch the map I get the error that the gps was interrupted (or disconnected, or whatever) and I'm asked if I want to view last location. If I say yes, I get the maps and I'm able to scroll about, but new maps will not load if I zoom in or out.

* When I lauch the app, the BB does at some point show that BT is connected. But when live search is saying that the BT/gps is disconnected, the BB indeed shows the BT is not connected.

* BT encryption is disabled.

* I started with content compression and content protection enabled, but I then disabled both and did a hard reset. No fix.

* I uninstalled, hard reset, and reinstalled live search. No fix.

* I launched BB Maps, stared the gps, then launched live search. Same problem with live search: it initializes the gps but then shows diconnected (and maps will not download, much less show my position). Interestingly enough, BB Maps stays connected to the puck and the BB shows the BT is connected when I do this, even though live search show BT disconnected.

So, I see this is working for some 8700g users. Anyone run up against this and fix the problem?

EDIT: I'm using the globalsat bt-359

EDIT 2: Still playing with the app. I deleted and reinstalled again, and it took a long time on the detecting network process when I launched it, and then gave error message about failing to detect network and advising me to edit network settings in options. I couldn't close the application, however, and had to reboot. Repeated several times, mayber three or four, before the application would finish the startup sequence.

The BT GPS connection is still getting interupted almost immediately after it connects. Often it doesn't initialize and I have to retry, even several times, but it does connect eventually, then disconnects.

But I am able to use the map now after the BT disconnects (see above). No trouble with map downloads when I zoom in and out after the BT disconnects.

Last edited by aiharkness; 10-18-2007 at 04:54 PM..
Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #43
w11l

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMO

8700g on Tmo with 4.2.1.107

Here is a few observations:

Installation produced “907 Invalid COD” error several times in a row (through bb browser) after turning wireless off and on, installation succeeded.

Map navigation using a wheel is not possible for horizontal panning, only vertical (holding "alt" makes no difference)

What is the difference between map and traffic? Can traffic be shown over regular map if needed?

GPS - I have an external receiver that works perfectly with gmap nav4all and bbmaps - and initialized with-in live search with no errors, however by going to map or traffic does not display my location (or errors - actually I'm not sure if I have to press anything to show my location - like a "0" in gmap?). By going back to options/gps configuration I see status "disconnected" if I click on "start gps" then on update status it will show as "connected", few seconds later it will be in disconnected state again, so gps does not work.

Menu/shortcuts/any help? I see some people mentioned of seeing satellite view - am I missing something? In traffic or map view I have only zoom, no other functionality detected
Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #44
complacent23
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: tmo

I've noticed more than a few times now that Live Search doesn't pickup my current location (8800 - TMo). I can exit out of the program and launch Amaze, Telenav, BBMaps, Google Maps, or Infospace FindIt and they will all pickup on my location.

I'm usually left with a "Location cannot be determined" kind of error. Any thoughts? Slick app otherwise!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #45
vinniet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320

I installed it this morning but since about 10AM I just can not seem to get it communicate. I tried to uninstall and re-install but now it hangs on the checking for update.

This worked just fine up to 10AM. Is there anything I need to put in for network settings? Right now the setting are set to default.

I am on TMO with Blackberry Curve 8320.

Update:

I got it to fully install and check for the update. Now it just does not seem to pull back any maps or information.

Last edited by vinniet; 10-18-2007 at 01:40 PM..
Old 10-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #46
DougT5R

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet View Post
I installed it this morning but since about 10AM I just can not seem to get it communicate. I tried to uninstall and re-install but now it hangs on the checking for update.

This worked just fine up to 10AM. Is there anything I need to put in for network settings? Right now the setting are set to default.

I am on TMO with Blackberry Curve 8320.

Update:

I got it to fully install and check for the update. Now it just does not seem to pull back any maps or information.
Me too, was just about to post the same thing. I was showing the program off earlier too
Old 10-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #47
vinniet

Ok, glad someone else is having a problem. Do you think its with TMO or are Live Search too busy?

I uninstalled/ reinstalled and also reboot. Nothing gets it to pull info.

I will try WiFi next.

UPDATE:

I jumped on WiFi when I got home and Live Search is working. It has to be something TMO is doing or a configuration of Live Search.

Please let me know if anyone else on T-Moble is having problems.

UPDATE:

It seems that after I was connected with WiFi and when I turned it off, Live Search started to work. Not sure what the deal is.

Last edited by vinniet; 10-18-2007 at 08:31 PM..
Old 10-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #48
rleist

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

When using the mapping while say driving, it needs to override the backlight and security timeouts. Blackberry Maps able to do this and also Google Maps seems to have figured out how to do it in recent releases.

Also, Google Maps satellite views look much better when zoomed out wider than say street level.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #49
redsoxnation

Carrier: SPRINT
Question

Any help with installing this application. It doesnt give you an option for BB???
Old 10-20-2007, 06:45 AM   #50
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation View Post
Any help with installing this application. It doesnt give you an option for BB???
You are pointing your blackberry browser to the link in the OP?

First line on the page that loads from that link is "Live Search for Blackberry (Beta)"....... You see something different?
Old 10-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #51
Ironman1075
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: 9800-AT&T, iPhone 4

Love this app so far, simple to use, nice features.

BB Storm, Curve 8310, iPhone 3G
Old 10-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #52
netwiz01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 32B21BE5
Carrier: Sprint, Power up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMobile View Post
You actually can enter an address just like any thing else in the text entry field. The remainder of the links launch a city chooser and a map selector.

The rest of the feedback is incredibly valuable. We'll try to fix some of them soon

This is rather upsetting :(. Are all of you using a BlackBerry Curve?

Negative some of us use the 8700 series with built in GPS. Can LS read internal GPS? If my unit has an internal GPS, why do I need to indicate my location?

PIN: 32B11BE5
Old 10-20-2007, 11:28 AM   #53
redsoxnation

Carrier: SPRINT
Thumbs down

Found out what was happening. I was using emulation mode MS Pocket IE and you have to use BB otherwise the site thinks your on a MS mobile OS. Downloaded and I think YGO blows this away. And the maps application cant touch google maps.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #54
GLOCKshooter

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

A few questions,
1) do you have to have GPS to use this? I have a 8320 and no puck yet.
2) is there a cost or fee?
3) does it take up a lot of memory?
4) how does this compare with beyond 411 search?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:06 PM   #55
psincere

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniet View Post
Ok, glad someone else is having a problem. Do you think its with TMO or are Live Search too busy?

I uninstalled/ reinstalled and also reboot. Nothing gets it to pull info.

I will try WiFi next.

UPDATE:

I jumped on WiFi when I got home and Live Search is working. It has to be something TMO is doing or a configuration of Live Search.

Please let me know if anyone else on T-Moble is having problems.

UPDATE:

It seems that after I was connected with WiFi and when I turned it off, Live Search started to work. Not sure what the deal is.

the same thing happens to me when I use amAze gps and i dont know what the deal is with that
Old 10-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #56
athlete1

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

hey i downloaded the program, and it will not open I have verizon 7250 with 4.0 os, I am guessing it will not work unless I am able to upgrade os to 4.1?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:57 PM   #57
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm

Just downloaded it and messing around with it. I like it, has a nice interface, I think I will try this for awhile and see if it replaces Google Maps on my BB (love Google Maps, but the new features i.e. crashes are annoying). I really like the movie section, it has very nice functionality.

Last edited by rjw3000; 10-22-2007 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: movie section
Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #58
LSMobile

Model: Curve

w11l,

All your symptoms are answered by one point: The new ROM. RIM handles the trackwheel and GPS in an unexpected way on this device. We have an update in the works and it should be out soon.

Thanks!
LSMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by w11l View Post
8700g on Tmo with 4.2.1.107

Here is a few observations:

Installation produced “907 Invalid COD” error several times in a row (through bb browser) after turning wireless off and on, installation succeeded.

Map navigation using a wheel is not possible for horizontal panning, only vertical (holding "alt" makes no difference)

What is the difference between map and traffic? Can traffic be shown over regular map if needed?

GPS - I have an external receiver that works perfectly with gmap nav4all and bbmaps - and initialized with-in live search with no errors, however by going to map or traffic does not display my location (or errors - actually I'm not sure if I have to press anything to show my location - like a "0" in gmap?). By going back to options/gps configuration I see status "disconnected" if I click on "start gps" then on update status it will show as "connected", few seconds later it will be in disconnected state again, so gps does not work.

Menu/shortcuts/any help? I see some people mentioned of seeing satellite view - am I missing something? In traffic or map view I have only zoom, no other functionality detected
Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #59
LSMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwiz01 View Post
Negative some of us use the 8700 series with built in GPS. Can LS read internal GPS? If my unit has an internal GPS, why do I need to indicate my location?
netwiz01,

The Sprint devices do have built-in GPS, but it is assisted (i.e. cell-tower based). We are working on adding support for this and an update should be out soon.

Thanks!
LSMobile
Old 10-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #60
LSMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlete1 View Post
hey i downloaded the program, and it will not open I have verizon 7250 with 4.0 os, I am guessing it will not work unless I am able to upgrade os to 4.1?
athlete1,

What error message are you seeing? Live Search supports all BlackBerry devices with BlackBerry OS 4.0.2 and over.

Thanks!
LSMobile
Closed Thread