Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Reverend Beavis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: TMO
Default Comcast & Plaxo

Please Login to Remove!

I recently received an email notification from Comcast alerting me that I have can use a program called Plaxo. Apparently this program can sync my Outlook to an online address book, which in turn would sync with my PDA (BB8800, TMO). Has anybody had any experience with this? Am I reading the info correctly? I haven't downloaded the 'toolbar' for Outlook yet.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Beavis View Post
I recently received an email notification from Comcast alerting me that I have can use a program called Plaxo. Apparently this program can sync my Outlook to an online address book, which in turn would sync with my PDA (BB8800, TMO). Has anybody had any experience with this? Am I reading the info correctly? I haven't downloaded the 'toolbar' for Outlook yet.
Plaxo can synchronize data between Outlook, Google, MSN, MacOS, etc but it won't synchronize with a Blackberry. That is to say it won't update the BB's Contact, etc databases but instead lets you visit a Plaxo mobile website where you can see your data. No very impressive.

But Plaxo can be used to sync various desktops/web databases if you have a need for it. Be careful however. These sites that synchronize contact data (including email addresses) got a bad rap a couple of months ago by taking all your contact emails and sending everyone an email telling them you are on their system and inviting them to join.

I don't think Plaxo did this but I do remember now and again their system asking me if I wanted to invite everybody in my contact list. And if your not paying attention you could inadvertently spam all your contacts.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Reverend Beavis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacd View Post
These sites that synchronize contact data (including email addresses) got a bad rap a couple of months ago by taking all your contact emails and sending everyone an email telling them you are on their system and inviting them to join.

I don't think Plaxo did this but I do remember now and again their system asking me if I wanted to invite everybody in my contact list. And if your not paying attention you could inadvertently spam all your contacts.

When I signed up for the Plaxo account, it gave me the option to email everyone in my address book. I chose not to. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
shogunmaster
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

I just wanted to add two cents.

Plaxo does not sync directly with the BB but your contacts can be synced indirectly via Outlook (or other programs).

I use Plaxo to do this. I sync my BB with Outlook, which then syncs with Plaxo. I also have Plaxo automatically sync with my Google calendar. It's been a very good way to backup my contacts and calendar in case something happens to my computer and/or Blackberry.

Plaxo did get a bad rap early in its existence because they did flood people with invitations to join the service. It has long since cleared this up and straightened up their reputation. I haven't had any issues.
Closed Thread