BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Ban on Gays in the Military?
Keep it in place 6 18.75%
Get rid of it now 20 62.50%
Wait till next year 0 0%
Beer 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #41
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
Here is my .02....

As long as they are not out in public kissing / getting it on while in uniform then I can care less about gays in the military...

Perhaps if there was a way to prove it, some of our greatest war heroes *might* have been gay....

Of all who stormed Normandy and bravely gave their life, I guarantee a few were gay...

Like I said, my .02

Kris
I agree. As long as they do their job, it makes no difference. Although there is a ban, don't ask don't tell makes sense. Whether you're gay or straight, it's all personal and should have nothing to do with performance. If people are going out of their way to ask or tell, then they obviously have a problem with it. I know gays that I call my friends and would gladly place my life in their hands, and I know plenty of straight guys that are cowards and I watch them more than I watch the bad guys.

Not to play devil's advocate between Dawg and dmead but unlike a gay parade, a marriage announcement is not intended to advertise a couple's sexual preference (although that's what one can infer from it), but to announce a marriage. If that was the intention than it would be called a heterosexual announcement. If a gay couple could marry, then I would welcome them to place a marriage announcement in the paper as well and not read them like I don't read all of the other marriage announcements.

The only problem I have with anyone, and it has nothing to do with what/who/color/race/gender/sexuality, is when they throw it in my face. When I say I don't care, it really means I don't care... as in a complete lack of interest or opinion. However, when it's waved in my face and they say I have to accept it, then that person hides behind laws or screams racist/bigot/hater/ignorant just because they can get away with it, that's when I have a problem with that person. I've experienced that far more times than I care to mention.

The point is no one likes to be forced to accept anything at gunpoint. People do more damage to their cause when they try to legislate acceptance than they do by just living as an example. To use Lunk's analogy; at the end of any war, does it matter if the guy who saved your life, who fought just as bravely, and who gave everything for their country is gay? Don't ask don't tell can work because it allows gays to serve and prove themselves.

The ban was in place because of social opinion. Don't ask don't tell was the logical step. The ban will be lifted eventually, but social change happens slowly.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #42
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

There is no logical reason for it. It's discrimination plain and simple, it's not based on performance or any legit reason.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #43
turn_key
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
There is no logical reason for it. It's discrimination plain and simple, it's not based on performance or any legit reason.
Logic isn't used enough in policy making.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #44
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

*snip*

Quote:
Under the 1993 "Don't ask, don't tell" policy, Pub.L. 103-160 (10 U.S.C. xxx65533; 654), it is prohibited to disclose any information regarding homosexual behavior, including one's sexual orientation, while serving in the United States Armed Forces. Military officials are also prohibited from investigating the sexuality of personnel.

The policy was created by Colin Powell in a compromise between supporters of the previous policy that banned all non-heterosexuals from military service and President Clinton, who promised to amend the law.

According to preliminary Pentagon data, more than 1,000 service members were discharged each year from 1997 to 2001 on average. In the past five years the average has fallen below 730 due to a shortage in military recruits. (Source: The Washington Post)

Department of Defense has defended its past discrimination policy claiming that homosexual and bisexual people pose a security risk by eroding unit cohesion and morale. The report argues that most homosexuals and bisexuals are pedophiles who engage in a self-destructive and immoral life-style. Homosexual service men and women have been targets of harassment, at times leading to assault and murder.
*/snip*
Old 03-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #45
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
I don't believe ones sexual preference should matter

I knew a few guys/gals that were gay when I served they did their jobs and did them well that is what matters
Me too.

I admit I feel uncomfortable when someone is overtly sexual in public, be they gay or straight.

(+1 to a fellow vet!)

Dawg:

I, too, am a conservative Christian. However, I think we do our faith and other people a disservice by expecting gay people to remain hidden and silent. Only when something is brought out into the open can it ever be addressed in any meaningful way.

Last edited by kathrynhr; 03-05-2009 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: responding to Dawg
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #46
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

So basically, if you're capable of doing your job, defend your country, be ready to sacrifice your life for the safety of your homeland, but are gay you can't be in the military? Since when do sexual preferences have to be a criteria for defending your country?!!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #47
test54
BlackBerry Master

Obama administration reverses Bush policy, backs UN anti-discrimination text on gay rights -- chicagotribune.com

"Obama administration reverses Bush policy, backs anti-discrimination text on gay rights"

from the article - WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration on Wednesday formally endorsed a U.N. declaration calling for the worldwide decriminalization of homosexuality, a measure that former President George W. Bush had refused to sign.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #48
kathrynhr

Good.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #49
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

OH boy hes already in bed with the Crooked UN now we are really screwed
Old 03-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #50
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
OH boy hes already in bed with the Crooked UN now we are really screwed
so Dawg would you vote against this declaration?

every President has to deal with the UN. The US is the central figure in it, same with IMF and World Bank.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #51
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Yes, I would as long as it had anything to do with the UN. I think the UN needs to be thrown out of the US and we should withdraw from it. I feel the UN is an outdated and crooked organization

Last edited by Dawg; 03-18-2009 at 07:41 PM..
Old 03-19-2009, 07:41 AM   #52
kathrynhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Yes, I would as long as it had anything to do with the UN. I think the UN needs to be thrown out of the US and we should withdraw from it. I feel the UN is an outdated and crooked organization
How would throwing the UN out prevent corruption?

I believe the hydra would just sprout another head.

Better to reform the existing structure.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #53
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I agree that the UN is a joke for the most part....
Old 03-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #54
test54
BlackBerry Master

The media covers a lot of the corrupt people in the UN. But they actually do a ton of good humanitarian things throughout the developing world. I personally do not think its something that needs to go away. It might need some regulations like everything else but the good it does outweighs the bad in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #55
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
How would throwing the UN out prevent corruption?

I believe the hydra would just sprout another head.

Better to reform the existing structure.
If we with drew from it that would be a start. If the US were to with draw other countrys would follow. That in turn woul turn the UN on its end.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #56
test54
BlackBerry Master

Dawg that might have been true during the Cold War but the UN would carry on even without us. It maybe smaller but the world does not do as we say like they used to.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:44 AM   #57
kathrynhr

Quote:
It maybe smaller but the world does not do as we say like they used to.
+1, and it's a good thing they don't (inconvenient though it may be). We will now have the chance to behave more ethically going forward.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #58
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
+1, and it's a good thing they don't (inconvenient though it may be). We will now have the chance to behave more ethically going forward.
+ 2
Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #59
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Dawg that might have been true during the Cold War but the UN would carry on even without us. It maybe smaller but the world does not do as we say like they used to.
You are correct and it would be more corrupt than it is now. I still say it needs to be put out of the US.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:30 AM   #60
wabbit

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

this is how i see it, they are their to fight a war, on our side, not make love, with that said, w/e their sexual preference should have no affect on their job roles.
Closed Thread