BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
thaKing
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default data plan and personal email questions (2)

Please Login to Remove!

currently i have a State-provided BB and a personal phone...i was thinking of getting a personal BB and returning the work BB...now, my question is this: do i have to get a corporate data plan through Cingular to have the Exchange work email automatically pushed to the BB, or can i get a personal plan and somehow have works email pushed?

assuming i keep my State-provided BB, i was going to setup a personal email account...i did this the other day and everything worked perfectly...there are two email locations: corporate email and personal email account....the personal emails come in and i can access them via the personal acct and from within the corporate email locale...this is sorta good in that it provides a "one stop shop" for emails, and provides me with an option to select which email address i want to use when sending...it is also good that it does not show up when i access my work email from the desktop...BUT, when sending a personal email on the BB can these be "read" by work? or are emails sent from the BB going through the BB service and separate from works servers? i just don't want to use it for personal emails if they will have access to my emails...

thanks for any help you can provide...
Old 08-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: S AND NEEDLES
Carrier: VZW

thaKing,

you start getting into a gray area with your second question. There are several factors that come into play here that make this tricky. What is your IT policy (not the policy for the BB) on use of state property for personal business. If you get your personal email pushed to your state device, they technically own the device, therefore have the right to what is on it. The same rules probably apply to your work computer, i would assume.

It is for this reason that I own my phone and the company provides me access to the BES (they don't push alot of IT policies). I understand that there is risk to this (i.e. if they decided on more aggressive policies), but it seems to be working now. I get 3 personal email accounts sent to my BB as well.

As for the tech aspects, don't believe that they can read the personal email.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
thaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003402 View Post
thaKing,

you start getting into a gray area with your second question. There are several factors that come into play here that make this tricky. What is your IT policy (not the policy for the BB) on use of state property for personal business. If you get your personal email pushed to your state device, they technically own the device, therefore have the right to what is on it. The same rules probably apply to your work computer, i would assume.

It is for this reason that I own my phone and the company provides me access to the BES (they don't push alot of IT policies). I understand that there is risk to this (i.e. if they decided on more aggressive policies), but it seems to be working now. I get 3 personal email accounts sent to my BB as well.

As for the tech aspects, don't believe that they can read the personal email.
thanks for the quick reply...we're allowed to view/send personal email during breaks, etc, as long as it does not interfere with work...and while i understand that they "own" what happens on the BB, i'm more concerned with them being able to read the emails (as they can through exchange)...or are they private...

i'm hoping my other question (using personal data plan for work, sorta) will prove true and can avoid this all together...
Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaKing View Post
thanks for the quick reply...we're allowed to view/send personal email during breaks, etc, as long as it does not interfere with work...and while i understand that they "own" what happens on the BB, i'm more concerned with them being able to read the emails (as they can through exchange)...or are they private...

i'm hoping my other question (using personal data plan for work, sorta) will prove true and can avoid this all together...
No, if they wanted to read your emails they could. And quite frankly, can and should be able to do it since it is not your device anyway. In our network, even emails sent using our personal laptops, but using the company network can be read because of concerns with sensitive data. This was made perfectly clear to us. Lots of places are the same way, and I assume with the state as well.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I would be very careful before you try to use a personal BB on the State BES. Their IT policies will be pushed to your BB and depending upon what they are and their security and other concerns, you could be locked down and prevented from doing the things you wish to do.

If I needed personal email. I would buy another smartphone for that purpose.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
thaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
If I needed personal email. I would buy another smartphone for that purpose.
exactly, hence my other question: can i use a personal BB plan and still be able to connect to our exchange server? i'm currently carrying 2 phones (work and personal) and i'd like to be able to carry just 1...
Old 08-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
exactly, hence my other question: can i use a personal BB plan and still be able to connect to our exchange server? i'm currently carrying 2 phones (work and personal) and i'd like to be able to carry just 1...
if you connect to the exchange they will be able to read anything and everything you send at anytime day or night. And they can track you with the same device. I wouldnt put anything personal onto a state or business BES
Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
thaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
if you connect to the exchange they will be able to read anything and everything you send at anytime day or night. And they can track you with the same device. I wouldnt put anything personal onto a state or business BES
i understand...that's why i wanted to get a personal BB....but the difference in plan cost is $20 between the personal plan and corporate plan...if i get the personal plan can i still have work email pushed? i assume not, but i wanted to ask before i get one...i'd like to have just one (1) phone if at all possible...i know i'm probably wishin' here, but it's worth a try isn't it...
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5

Quote:
i understand...that's why i wanted to get a personal BB....but the difference in plan cost is $20 between the personal plan and corporate plan...if i get the personal plan can i still have work email pushed?
Your question is pretty much unanswerable because we know nothing about your organization's Exchange environment.

One thing is for sure... with the personal data plan, you will NOT be able to use the device on a BES. Chances are, your organization is using BES, and only BES.

The personal data plan would allow you to link your Exchange acoxxxx to your Blackberry if the Exchange server has public POP3, IMAP or OWA access.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
i understand...that's why i wanted to get a personal BB....but the difference in plan cost is $20 between the personal plan and corporate plan...if i get the personal plan can i still have work email pushed? i assume not, but i wanted to ask before i get one...i'd like to have just one (1) phone if at all possible...i know i'm probably wishin' here, but it's worth a try isn't it...
its gonna be totally up to you
Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #11
thaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Your question is pretty much unanswerable because we know nothing about your organization's Exchange environment.

One thing is for sure... with the personal data plan, you will NOT be able to use the device on a BES. Chances are, your organization is using BES, and only BES.

The personal data plan would allow you to link your Exchange acoxxxx to your Blackberry if the Exchange server has public POP3, IMAP or OWA access.
sorry i haven't provided enough info...not sure what was needed...i can say this, we do have OWA....would that then allow me to push exchange to a personal BB? again, sorry if i'm not providing enough info...i don't know all of what is needed and i get very cryptic answers from ATT/Cingular....that's what made me think that maybe i "could" do this, but they didn't wanna tell me cause they want me to pay the extra $20....

thanks for all the responses, i really appreciate all the help....
Old 08-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #12
thaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
its gonna be totally up to you
what do you mean? if it's up to me, are you saying i can get a personal data plan and still have exchange pushed to the BB?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #13
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: S AND NEEDLES

you may be able to use BIS if you can use OWA on your exchange server. That is what I did prior to getting on our BES. I would ask around to see if there is anyone else that does this (or buy your favorite IT guy a 12 pack) to help you out. The reason that I joined the BES was that I was able to research the IT policies that get pushed to our BBs (we don't have any that are onerous) (thanks BB forum!) I don't get any messages of a personal nature that I would care if our company read.

Our company prefers to manage much of this via paper policies rather than something that is locked down (both for BB and internet).
Old 08-02-2007, 05:36 AM   #14
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5

Quote:
we do have OWA....would that then allow me to push exchange to a personal BB?
Even if OWA were accessible to you, it would still need need to be configured properly to allow BIS to utilize it.
You really need to speak to your IT department/BES administrator to find out what your options are.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #15
thaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Even if OWA were accessible to you, it would still need need to be configured properly to allow BIS to utilize it.
You really need to speak to your IT department/BES administrator to find out what your options are.
could you provide me with details so that i know what i need to ask for when i talk to IT...what exactly needs to be configured on the BES (they may know already but just in case i want to know exactly what i need to tell them)...once configured (OWA that is) what exactly do i need to do to connect my BB so that these emails are pushed to the BB? is there a way to test to see if Exchange is already configured to allow this?
Closed Thread