Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
neil154
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Navigation Software

Please Login to Remove!

I tried the BB maps and it seems pretty good except I could not figure out how to display time or distance to destination and it doesn't have any voice information. If I missed any of these would like your help.

I also tried Google Maps but is not as user friendly and also does not track my position as I get closer to the destination even though the time to destination changes as I get closer to destination.

I see that there are other GPS navigation packages and would appreciate you comments on the free ones (I will be using this infrequently since I have a separate GPS unit) available as to which are the best
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
docmsk

Model: 9700
Carrier: MTN South Africa

Hello,

In South Africa my carrier MTN provides Garmap for the Blackberry. It's superb, with voice navigation. Great mapping, and very accurate. Its free for two years here in South Africa. Might want to check if its available in your geography from your carrier.

It does not store maps on the device, rather it constantly downloads info over 3G, and since much of South Africa metro areas, and main routes are 3G it works great. Used it on safari in the northern Limpopo Province with no roads recently, and was great. Even had 3G signal there. Apparently it uses the BIS for data transfer so there is no cost for the data on MTN but I am to verify that when my bill arrives.

Regards
Old 03-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
neil154
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks it appears that Garmap is only for some areas of Africa and I am in USA so it will not help me.

Hopefully someone else will respond with information.
Closed Thread