BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
pelin

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ?
Unhappy I can't believe that there isn't any offline map support for BB.

Please Login to Remove!

BB data plan isn't enough for any time and any location!

Because the solutions only work for where you can have GSM signals, otherwise you can't download any map to your BB screen. At the same time your GPS is still working and show a balloon on empty map!

I am not sure that but I understand from this forced internet based navigation system is that; in US or in EU, all of the regions are under coverage of GSM signals. I don't see any reactions from people in forums/blogs... etc to BB's restriction to navigation firms. So that who has a BB data plan can use GPS navigation system where ever in developed countries!

For example in my country, signals between cities are very weak, almost there isn't any signal for a long time for all GSM firms that are working.

At this times how can I use GPS of my BB phone without any GSM signal?

BB's GPS solutions are only work in GSM coverage area.

All Navigation firms have offline/standalone solutions for any platform of telephones except BB.

Why?
What is the aim of this restriction?

I am sorry about my poor English but I am so angry (Yesterday I bought my BB bold and I am so sad. :( ) and I want to ask, people who live in west countries like you, how can use without offline support? :(

Last edited by pelin; 03-01-2010 at 06:53 PM..
Old 03-05-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
chhoussem

Model: 8100
Carrier: developpement
Default Check trekbuddy blackberry

There is trekbuddy blackberry application, it's free and offline maps.
You can add your maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelin View Post
BB data plan isn't enough for any time and any location!

Because the solutions only work for where you can have GSM signals, otherwise you can't download any map to your BB screen. At the same time your GPS is still working and show a balloon on empty map!

I am not sure that but I understand from this forced internet based navigation system is that; in US or in EU, all of the regions are under coverage of GSM signals. I don't see any reactions from people in forums/blogs... etc to BB's restriction to navigation firms. So that who has a BB data plan can use GPS navigation system where ever in developed countries!

For example in my country, signals between cities are very weak, almost there isn't any signal for a long time for all GSM firms that are working.

At this times how can I use GPS of my BB phone without any GSM signal?

BB's GPS solutions are only work in GSM coverage area.

All Navigation firms have offline/standalone solutions for any platform of telephones except BB.

Why?
What is the aim of this restriction?

I am sorry about my poor English but I am so angry (Yesterday I bought my BB bold and I am so sad. :( ) and I want to ask, people who live in west countries like you, how can use without offline support? :(
Old 03-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You can also buy a standalone GPS device that is much better than a cell device when it comes to maps and GPS.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
joeanca

Model: 8300
Carrier: fido
Thumbs down offline bb navigator

I have had android, iPhones and windows mobile and it just seems a little off that blackberries don't have any. I do get that stand alone gps units might be somewhat "better" but the convenience of having a music player/organizer/phone/gps unit in your pocket and not have to leave anything in the car to be stolen. Tried several software options but nothing yet I hope that rim actually catches up on this with software companies!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

I agree. But I think its also a limitation for apps not being at micro sd or having much freedom to use it for this.
A rudimentary solution is to download good GPS tracker like GPSLogger or blackstar (the former being better IMO) and use them as old school GPSs.

I still have at my home a pair of Garmin Rhino (the cheapest version) and while they where good at their time, apps like the ones I mentioned made them obsolete. Now they gather dust.

It would be great to have maps while offline but if there is no option at this point I can deal by saving the destinations previous traveling and navigating with the apps features, compass, distance, etc and after you track your path you can reverse it and go back.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
samnyemba
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: 27c3f559
Carrier: vodacom

Wirelessly posted

The chances are that wherever there is no phone network/signal the maps don't even exist anyway. Its just in the middle of nowhere anyway so you probably aren't loosing anything anyway.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Uh sometimes people want to conserve bandwidth, or maybe that person have no data plan.

That applies no matter where person is.
Closed Thread