BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
Hunter5117
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700G
Default True Email Sync - BES vs BIS

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I'm a noob but I have searched the forums and found part answers but I am still not sure if I am understanding this correctly. I'm coming over to BB from a Treo using Chattermail so I am used to having full IMAP folder syncing with all my mailboxes, my handheld and 2 computers.

As I understand....

1. BIS 2.0 did away with true mailbox/folder sync (is this going to change back eventually or does anyone really know?).

2. Hosted Exchange + BES will give me true folder syncing but at a cost of approx. $10 per email account plus another $10-20 for the BES.

Is this really the currrent state of BB email? I've only had my 8700g for a couple of days and it wasn't until last night when I was trying to refer on my BB to emails that I had originated on my laptop that I realized the folder syncing was not there. I love the BB but this may be a killer problem for me.

TIA for any help or guidance.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Yes, that's the current state of BB e-mail. No one knows what the future holds for BIS 2.0. As for your hosted BES costs, it would be about a total of $20.00. The e-mail account itself would be anywhere from $9.95 to $12.95, depending on the provider, and the BES addition should be no more $9.95 more.

Some hosts include MailStreet (I use this one), ExchangeMyMail, and The Message Center.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
Yes, that's the current state of BB e-mail. No one knows what the future holds for BIS 2.0. As for your hosted BES costs, it would be about a total of $20.00. The e-mail account itself would be anywhere from $9.95 to $12.95, depending on the provider, and the BES addition should be no more $9.95 more.

Some hosts include MailStreet (I use this one), ExchangeMyMail, and The Message Center.
You may also want to look to mail2web.com for exchange mail box. They charge $39.95 setup fee and $9.95/month for the BES option.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Hunter5117

Quote:
That's really a bummer! Having the ultimate email was the last of my concerns when I decided to move from my Treo to BB, I assumed with BB's rep that the email would be at least as good. I was more concerned over the PIM apps and some of my other standby applications. I have more than one IMAP mailbox I need to keep separate, $30 to maybe $40 per month is a lot for me to pay.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (VZW 7130e: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

No other device or platform can match the stability and strength of the BlackBerry when it comes to e-mail. Literally no other device. The other PIM functions are another story. If e-mail is the reason you went with a BB, you'll be fine.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
Hunter5117

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (VZW 7130e: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

No other device or platform can match the stability and strength of the BlackBerry when it comes to e-mail. Literally no other device. The other PIM functions are another story. If e-mail is the reason you went with a BB, you'll be fine.
I guess that is true if you are on a corporate BES server or can afford to add the cost of a hosted service that will keep all your external accounts managed. However, out of the box right now I am seeing my Treo with basic IMAP4 capability being a better email device. Push email is only one aspect of keeping in touch, the ability to see all my emails on all my devices in a fully syncronized fashion is very important to me.

If I am missing something the please let me know. I have just spent the afternoon messing with a hosting service and am still not seeing the solution I need. Important are two IMAP accounts that I must be able to keep synced between 2 computers and my PDA. I need fully syncing of Inbox, sub-folders, sent items, etc. My main computer applies rules and re-files my email as it comes in. I spend a lot of time away from my office and I often need to refer to an email that I originated on one of my two computers. My PDA needs to give me this access.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Apologies in advance if I am beating an already well-beaten dead horse.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5117
I guess that is true if you are on a corporate BES server or can afford to add the cost of a hosted service that will keep all your external accounts managed. However, out of the box right now I am seeing my Treo with basic IMAP4 capability being a better email device. Push email is only one aspect of keeping in touch, the ability to see all my emails on all my devices in a fully syncronized fashion is very important to me.

If I am missing something the please let me know. I have just spent the afternoon messing with a hosting service and am still not seeing the solution I need. Important are two IMAP accounts that I must be able to keep synced between 2 computers and my PDA. I need fully syncing of Inbox, sub-folders, sent items, etc. My main computer applies rules and re-files my email as it comes in. I spend a lot of time away from my office and I often need to refer to an email that I originated on one of my two computers. My PDA needs to give me this access.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Apologies in advance if I am beating an already well-beaten dead horse.
Sounds like your Treo or Q is what you need to keep all your IMAP accounts fully sync'd. Right now, the BIS can only sync with the Inbox on IMAP accounts. What we don't know is will RIM provide this in future BIS upgrades.

Its obvious the IMAP protocol supports this (i.e. Chattermail on the Treo). The only negative I find with IMAP support on the Treo or WM5 is the device keeps a constant connection to the mail server. This causes reduced battery life, especially on POP accounts when polling is set to 5 minutes or less.

As far as OS stability, many of my collegues have Treo's (both Palm and WM5) and they tell me about freezes and reboots they have every few days. For me, that unacceptable. Especially when I'm on a voice call.

One thing the other OS do not have is AutoText and AutoFormat. Pressing the space key twice automatically ends a sentence and places @ in email fields. As I've said before, its all about your personal preferences and needs. There's something for everyone today.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
One thing the other OS do not have is AutoText and AutoFormat. Pressing the space key twice automatically ends a sentence and places @ in email fields. As I've said before, its all about your personal preferences and needs. There's something for everyone today.
Thanks for the email tip. I had been looking for an easier way to insert the @ symbol when sending mail from my BB.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:34 AM   #9
The Bishop

Model: 8700g
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter5117
That's really a bummer! Having the ultimate email was the last of my concerns when I decided to move from my Treo to BB, I assumed with BB's rep that the email would be at least as good. I was more concerned over the PIM apps and some of my other standby applications. I have more than one IMAP mailbox I need to keep separate, $30 to maybe $40 per month is a lot for me to pay.
For EMAIL alone (not contacts/tasks/notes) there is nothing that compares yet in the price range of Chatter+IMAP/IDLE ... Go back to the Treo + Chatter ... I tried the same thing and need the same as you ... even have my own BES and it's just not up to par if you have a good email provider (I must be spoiled by Fastmail's pricing and storage - I looked at those links above and it's 100MB??? I have 2gigs heh).

Nah, Hunter, you're probably gonna be better off stickin' with the Treo650 for now, and if you're GSM just wait for the 700p or whatever ... I'm actually thinking about moving to CDMA and EVDO on Sprint's network to get the 700p there.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #10
Hunter5117

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bishop
For EMAIL alone (not contacts/tasks/notes) there is nothing that compares yet in the price range of Chatter+IMAP/IDLE ... Go back to the Treo + Chatter ... I tried the same thing and need the same as you ... even have my own BES and it's just not up to par if you have a good email provider (I must be spoiled by Fastmail's pricing and storage - I looked at those links above and it's 100MB??? I have 2gigs heh).

Nah, Hunter, you're probably gonna be better off stickin' with the Treo650 for now, and if you're GSM just wait for the 700p or whatever ... I'm actually thinking about moving to CDMA and EVDO on Sprint's network to get the 700p there.
Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this BB 8700g. Everything else about the device is 100% perfect (well maybe 95%, I'm still learning). Right now I am experimenting with having all my sent mail BCC'd to my blackberry.net mail account (hopefully the only mail that gets sent there, everything else comes into its own mailbox). That way I will have a backup copy on the BB should I need to refer to it. Kind of a nasty workaround but we'll see how it works. BTW, although I had already put this in place while I was on the phone with my cell phone supplier about this problem they hooked me into a conversation with their BB company support rep and he suggested the exact same work around. Obviously they are aware of the problem, not saying that they are intending to do something about it though.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
protocol0

Model: 7130e
Thumbs down aw man, no IMAP!?

hey all, new around here. I thought I'd bump this thread because I'm experiencing exactly the same issue as the OP, coming from a Treo 650.

I CAN'T BELIEVE that the blackberry doesn't support plain ol' IMAP. I too need to keep my imap folders synced between multiple devices, and I am not an Exchange user, nor am I able to run exchange or a hosted BES setup.

everything about this device, as far as form factor and stability is better than a Treo, but the lack of IMAP support is a huge deal breaker!

/rant. so,

1> could anyone suggest a decent IMAP/SMTP client that will run on a BB 7130?
2> Hunter, have you made any progress with your workaround?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #12
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

well w/ BIS 2.0 there is more support per say w/ IMAP
it is a one way reconciliation form handheld to IMAP server
emails read on the handheld get marked as read on the server
emails you send and/or delete from the handheld end up the sent and/or deleted items folder on your server (if it's not a subfolder of the inbox i belive)

yes, folder sync is currently not available - but who's to say that won't change in the future?
Old 06-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #13
protocol0

Model: 7130e
Default thanks

hmmm...I guess verizon hasn't updated to bis2.0. I have no option to sync my IMAP inbox...the reconcile folder option...its there but, sadly, it does nothing...can anyone confirm this?

also...i still think a pretty good workaround would be a good java/ota download/cod file/whatever imap client. use the secondary client to access folders once in a while when necessary, and use the BIS native account for day-to-day push email goodness.

can anyone recommend one? I'm still looking.

EDIT: after searching it seems my reconcile troubles are because BIS2.0 (which I do have with verizon) doesn't support cyrus-based IMAP implementations. Bummer, Maing.

Last edited by protocol0; 06-16-2006 at 08:47 PM..
Old 06-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #14
The Bishop

I'm still looking too - I want to ditch the Treo for the BB as soon as possible
Old 07-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #15
wschnaer

Carrier: Digicel

I have also recently switched from a Treo 650 w/ Chatteremail to a BB8700 and have found a more-or-less satisfactory work-around for IMAP folders. Fastmail, which is my IMAP service, allows POP access to subfolders under the email address 'username+MAILBOXNAME'@fastmail.fm'. The technique is buried in the FAQ. I now have one-way access to emails, but have to clean out my mailboxes on the BB as well as on the server.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #16
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wschnaer
I have also recently switched from a Treo 650 w/ Chatteremail to a BB8700 and have found a more-or-less satisfactory work-around for IMAP folders. Fastmail, which is my IMAP service, allows POP access to subfolders under the email address 'username+MAILBOXNAME'@fastmail.fm'. The technique is buried in the FAQ. I now have one-way access to emails, but have to clean out my mailboxes on the BB as well as on the server.
Can you post the link to the Fastmail FAQ?
Old 07-30-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
The Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Can you post the link to the Fastmail FAQ?
is the main page for the FAQ but if you go to their forums you can search for this above and find it as well ... the link to their forums is located on this page:

I'm still stuck on the Treo650 which seems to be the best IMAP+IDLE GSM phone out there right now. bleh.

sorry, guess I can't post the links, google it!
Old 07-30-2006, 03:58 PM   #18
Dirky
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bishop
is the main page for the FAQ but if you go to their forums you can search for this above and find it as well ... the link to their forums is located on this page:

I'm still stuck on the Treo650 which seems to be the best IMAP+IDLE GSM phone out there right now. bleh.

sorry, guess I can't post the links, google it!
Hi Bishop, I've moved from a Treo 650 with chatter but I only had a couple of email accounts synced and I didn't need any folders on the Treo, however I was not satisifed with the odd crashes and reboots of the Treo.
I'm lucky enough to be able to run my own Exchange 2003 box at home and I am using the free single user version of BES, it's great!

Do you not suffer from lockups/reboots on your Treo? I've not had *any* since I got the BB 8700g about 2 weeks ago.
I'm getting used to not using the stylus now, I actually think I prefer it, it's very quick to use I'm sure you will agree.

Mike
Old 07-30-2006, 04:02 PM   #19
The Bishop

Hey Mike
Actually I've gotten it down to perhaps one reboot every 2 - 3 weeks so that seems fine for me - when I charge my phone up I'll just do a soft reboot and that solves that.

I have a BB7520 that I use for work, hence the reason I want to change -- I love the BES it's just not feasible yet as it's a very M$-centric solution inasmuch that its great for one email account, but for more it's horrid and as my Treo is able to reply/use all 7 of mine, I do well there.

Looking at the Nokia E61 as well since I was (with the BB) planning on giving up my ability to FTP files to and from my phone as well -- with the E61 I will still be able to do that, but the Symbian OS (like the BB) doesn't seem to realize that people actually have more than one email address per account and might need to reply using more than one ...

so until then, I'm stuck with the Treo650 which is ok, just not great regarding PIM syncing. :(