BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
noniman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7250
Carrier: TELUS
Default Slow down email sync by 60 seconds?? Outlook Junk Mail function would work better.

Please Login to Remove!

Does anybody know how to slow down the email sync from exchange to the handsets via the BES wireless link.

I would like BES to only sync a message if it at least 60 second old in the inbox.

This is to allow the Outlook Junk Mail function to move junk mail from the inbox before BES sends it to my handset. I imagine it would also allow other anti-spam tools to run before BES grabs the message.

This would save a lot of bandwidth.

Anybody have any ideas?

Surely this is possible somehow? Perhaps a registry change?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
bradhs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Instead of doing that, use the Exchange IMF to filter the Junk Mail into the Junk Mail folder so that the Outlook client doesn't have to do it. This is how I have it setup and it works great. Junk Mail in the Junk Mail folder is placed there by Exchange not Outlook.

Outlook does sometimes catch one or two more a month that IMF didn't catch.

Bradley
Old 11-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
kthome

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Yep! I agree. We did this and it immediately made a HUGE difference on the amount of spam being sent to the devices. Also, check out using spamcop.net blacklisted IP filtering as well. The duo combination does a pretty good job.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
noniman

Default I will take a look

Can you suggest some instructions on how to setup up IMF they way you have it working?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
punkinwing

Model: 8310

The "Junkmail" function takes place on the Outlook client, not on the server so even delaying the delivery would make a difference unless you were running Outlook all the time without local caching..
Old 11-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
RIM_Next_Door
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: 1
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinwing
The "Junkmail" function takes place on the Outlook client, not on the server so even delaying the delivery would make a difference unless you were running Outlook all the time without local caching..
I think Punkinwing was trying to say it "won't" make a difference, and he's right. Remember, Outlook (the client) is not as quick as we all think. Every savvy Blackberry user will tell you, they usually get the message on their BB before they get it in Outlook. This is due to the way the BES does a check of new messages. The BES actually has a "agent" or software that monitors for changes in the e-mail accounts, and once it sees a changes, it goes in after the new e-mail. With Outlook, it is simply doing a constant check every few seconds (I think it's 30).

With all of that said, your BB is probably going to get the new messages before Outlook (again Outlook is the client) has a chance to get the new mail from the server and sort it into the Junkmail folder.

I'm just waiting for the R2 upgrade for SBS 2003 to come to us from MS. Once we get it, IMF will be the first thing I engage. It should make a huge difference.

Incase your wondering, IMF is simple a "sorter" application done at the server level. It basically sorts e-mail as it comes in and places it in the right folder based on what it looks like (i.e. SPAM or good e-mail). If it is SPAM it puts it into the Junkmail folder of the e-mail account. If it is genuine, it puts it into the Inbox of the e-mail account. Once it's in either of the two folders, then it makes it available to BES/BB or Outlook... and chances are again, your BES will get it first!

I hope that helps!
Old 11-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
noniman

Default makes sense

It makes sense when you explain it that way. I looked at R2 and got chicken to install it on the client's server.

I will do doing that in the next week though whith a bit more backups then they had.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
bradhs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Let me know if you need help... I'm a consultant in San Diego and do this stuff all day long. Send me a private message and I'll get you my contact information in case you get stuck and need someone to talk to.

Bradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by noniman
It makes sense when you explain it that way. I looked at R2 and got chicken to install it on the client's server.

I will do doing that in the next week though whith a bit more backups then they had.
Closed Thread