Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Default Redirector sending mail caught by junk filter

Please Login to Remove!

I'm having a strange problem with the Redirector software for my Exchange account. I'm not sure when it started happening, but I know it wasn't always like this. Any mail that's getting caught by Outlook as junk (and getting automatically placed in the Junk mail folder) is getting sent to my BlackBerry even though I specifically do NOT have that folder selected in Redirector Settings as one of the folders I want forwarded to my BlackBerry. Has anyone else experienced this apparent bug? Does anyone know a way around it or a way to fix it?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
BB_0wned
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Did you verify the Junk Email folder is not selected in both Redirector Settings and on the HH? Have you hard reset the BB? You may want to try clearing the Messages, Folders and Folder ID databases and regenerating an encryption key to rebuild the folder structure. There might be some corruption there.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
mrogers

Where on the handheld do I select which folders I want from the redirector? I didn't think that was possible.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
BB_0wned
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Open Messages > Options > Email Settings and then click the trackwheel. You will see "Folder Redirection" listed
Old 08-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
mrogers

I don't have that option. When I go to Messages > Options all I have is "General Options" and "Email Reconciliation", neither of which contain any sort of folder selection.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
0siris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: US Cellular

This does not match with my understanding of how Redirector works. It uses the same MAPI communications that Outlook uses, meaning that it can catch a message before Outlook has a chance to apply the filter.

Based on my understanding, this is simply a consequence of the way Redirector does it's job.

Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
Old 08-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
mrogers

^ That doesn't make sense, because then why would RIM allow you the option to only have certain folders forwarded to your handheld? I have a couple dozen folders in my Exchange account, and for most of them there are rules determining which messages get put into them. Many of them I do not want forwarded to my BlackBerry, so I have them deselected in Redirector options. All that stuff is working properly -- I'm not getting mail that winds up in those folders. Only mail that winds up in the Junk folder, even though that one's not selected either.

The one suggestion I haven't tried yet is regenerating the encryption key. I'll try to give that a shot within the next couple days.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
quah

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I am having the same exact problem. I did not always have the problem - it seems to have started within the past month.

It does not matter whether I have the Junk folder redirected or not.
Closed Thread