Firefishe2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Technical Focus Only - 8830 GPS

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings, folks.

I am starting this thread with the sole intent of bringing together a like-minded body of people to work on a software workaround for the internal GPS of the Verizon Wireless BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone.

This thread is a technical thread. I would ask anyone not interested in coding, working with various IDE's, SDK's, and problem solving, to please not post here.

Follow along if you desire, by all means, but if you can not reasonably contribute to the endeavor, then please, like any other software development project, please be content to watch as others bring large chunks of highly diverse and different, and similar, elements together to work toward a viable solution for a problem that is vexing to a large user base on a very large network.

This thread is not a joke, is not a circus, and if anyone desires to test these waters, I will politely request from the moderators at any time the removal of any post not pertinent to the technical achievements being worked toward in this thread.

The people affected by this problem know who they are, have probably already posted their feelings, comments, and thoughts elsewhere, and have come here seeking to contribute to something that they believe in, want to see happen, and are probably equally fed up with meaningless excuses and constant stringing-out-and-along by certain organizations which shall--out of professional courtesy--remain nameless. They--and we--know who they are.

That said, let us begin:

Purpose Of Thread

To create a viable, technical solution that will remove any limitations to third party location based software accessing the autonomous function of the GPS on the Verizon Wireless BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone.

Method Of Implementation

1 Establish the exact make, model, protocol, and extra functionality (if any), of the 8830's internal GPS chipset.

2. Establish the tools, software development kits, integrated development environments, gps interfacing software, project repository and bug tracking system, and other pertinent tools to be used for the project.

3. Decide on a programming language in which to write the solution.

4. Have on hand a test 8830 to work upon, probably my own.

5. Write the solution, test it, correct it if necessary, then implement it.

I need, at the very least, the following types of people:

Persons with experience with BlackBerrys.
Persons with experience in Java
Persons with experience in C and C++
Persons with experience with Embedded Devices
Persons with experience with Free and Open Source Software (FOSS)
Persons with experience Setting Up A Project Repository, such as with SVN or CVS.
People with experience in Marketing. This project may, by necessity, have to be mildly commercialized, due to software signing necessities, etc. We'll see as the project goes along.

Those wishing to involve themselves please contact me at firefisheATinboxDOTcom .

Let's make this thing work!

Warm regards,
Firefishe
Old 11-29-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
BFEINZIMER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

If you check me out on HoFo you can see some GPS stuff me and some others did back in the day with LG's and trying to get LBS thru Motos. The theroy we need a IP addy is for the AGPS stuff, so we do need to find out what chip the BB has inside, I might do the black case mod so could I find it when I open up the BB? Have you seen the PDF file posted several months ago by RIM about developing GPS applications?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:45 AM   #3
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

This has been tried before. Guess what. Not Gonna Happen.

RIM has locked down the code.

I also think if you or anyone else is able to do this on there own. I think you would have to breach RIM's security and code. This is the very reason why Blackberries are trusted with our Government and many other countries. Which is not open source. RIM would probably try to have you arrested.

Anyhow hack away. This will be interesting. Lets just hope the mods here don't lock or delete this. But seriously I don't think its possible with out RIM's secure code. This is no different than obtaining the secret recipe to Coke, Pepsi, KFC. Microsoft O/S code.
Again good luck.

P.S. if you do crack it. Make sure the FEDS can't find you. Those 6am raids are a pain in the rear IMO.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
emill84
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: 24071E95
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefishe2 View Post
This thread is not a joke, is not a circus, and if anyone desires to test these waters, I will politely request from the moderators at any time the removal of any post not pertinent to the technical achievements being worked toward in this thread.
Haha. Does that include jokes about 6AM Air raids?

I fall into the category of people who have experience with blackberry's, if you are interested in my credentials to post.

That being said, I have nothing to add. I was intrigued by the threat of feds though.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by emill84 View Post
Haha. Does that include jokes about 6AM Air raids?

I fall into the category of people who have experience with blackberry's, if you are interested in my credentials to post.

That being said, I have nothing to add. I was intrigued by the threat of feds though.
Purpose Of Thread

To create a viable, technical solution that will remove any limitations to third party location based software accessing the autonomous function of the GPS on the Verizon Wireless BlackBerry 8830 World Edition smartphone.

What he wants to do is illegal. Verizon lawyers will have a field day with him if he succeeds.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Closed - we're an honest forum and are not interested in cracking anything.

Closed Thread