BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default Is it possible to have 2 separate address books on 8703?

Please Login to Remove!

I have the 8703 from Verizon. A friend today showed me how to download yahoo onto the blackberry which allows to get news, sports, my yahoo address book, etc.

This is great because Blackberry only provides one address book and I don't want to mix personal with business contacts. I can keep my business contacts on the main address book with BES and then access my personal contacts though the Yahoo app.

However, I am finding that it's not that easy to get my outlook express into Yahoo for the sync to the blackberry to occur. It can be done but it's not simple.

I was wondering if there is another app that would allow me to take my Outlook Express contacts and then sync them somehow to app installed on the blackberry which would allow me to main 2 separate address books.

I am running BES through my employer and then my personal pop e-mail account through time warner.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

As of now there is only one address book for the BlackBerry. There isn't another application that allows for a separate address book.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb Re: Multiple Address Books

There are a number of third party applications that include phone book functions that operate in concert with the resident phone book. Go to Mobile Software and Games for your PDA or Smartphone : Handango and search for phone books. 73
Old 01-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

I am looking for something that would allow them to be managed and sync as 2 separate address books. Does that exist?
Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Don't think that exists. Never heard of any such app for any BB/PDA/Smartphone.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
hudres

Lightbulb Yes You Can Have 2 Address Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelot View Post
I am looking for something that would allow them to be managed and sync as 2 separate address books. Does that exist?
If you get GridMagic, an Excel compatible spreadsheet application from Simprit, it comes with a phone book as a sample spreadsheet. The program also has a desktop manager that syncs with the phone. Using this it would be very simple to have 2 or more address books. You can get GridMagic form most websites that sell PDA software or from Simprit direct. BTW: They have great customer support. 73
Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
angelot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudres View Post
If you get GridMagic, an Excel compatible spreadsheet application from Simprit, it comes with a phone book as a sample spreadsheet. The program also has a desktop manager that syncs with the phone. Using this it would be very simple to have 2 or more address books. You can get GridMagic form most websites that sell PDA software or from Simprit direct. BTW: They have great customer support. 73
Yes, you can have 2 address books. However, they cannot be managed and synched separately since I am running on BES. BES cannot tell which contacts to sync/not sync. It's an all or nothing.

I was hoping to manage/sync 2 separate address books which apparently is not possible.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

You could create a "Personal" category for all personal contacts and filter when needed.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #9
hudres

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelot View Post
Yes, you can have 2 address books. However, they cannot be managed and synched separately since I am running on BES. BES cannot tell which contacts to sync/not sync. It's an all or nothing.

I was hoping to manage/sync 2 separate address books which apparently is not possible.

Angelot: I believe that you will find my solution to be viable for the following reason: GridMagic is an application that is synched separately by the Desktop Manager. Even of BES is syncing your BB phone book, when it goes to deal with GridMagic, it is a separate issue. GridMagic gives yu the option of letting either the host computer or the BB determine who "wins" in the sync operation. This will work unless BES (or your system administrator) absolutely precludes third party apps. Don't knock this solution until you have tried it. I have been quite surprised by the capabilities of GridMagic. 73
Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
phrider

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

Never say never.....

I believe this system offers a separate address book system that integrates wirelessly with the Blackberry. It's for those "In Entertainment" business: Entertainment software solutions, call list, phone log by inEntertainment. Not cheap, but it seems to be a standard in that business.
Closed Thread