Old 02-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
sturner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Newbie with some questions

Please Login to Remove!

I'm seriously considering a purchase of the 8703e thru Verizon Wireless (currently signed on for 2 year family plan). This device seems to have everything I want without the extra bells and whistles. I'm looking for it to be a very good cell phone with the ability to sync to my Microsoft Exchange Server at work (Outlook) and possibly my personal email account at home (also Outlook). Also want the ability to sync my calendar and contacts from work as well and be able to update them on the Blackberry.

I need someone to tell me if I can do all this using the BIS option or do I need to subscribe to the more expensive BES plan? Sales people (who I don't really trust) are insisting that I need to go with the $45 per month plan (BES) to download my email from work, which again is on a Microsoft Exchange server. The cheaper plan is $30 per month (BIS) and they claim can only be used to download and sync with personal email. I don't understand why there is a difference. Also, is there any programs that I would need to download onto my work station computer in order to get the computer and BB to work together?

I'm very confused at this point so I'm really looking for someone to help me out. Do I need to find out any more information about the setup at work? If so what should I be asking? I'm not an IT guy so I really am a bit intimidated about the whole thing.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

BES if your company has a BES server (consult your IT guys); BIS can let you receive work and personal email and do everything on your BlackBerry without any policies unlike what you would have to live with if you go BES - im just not sure if BIS can work with an Exchange server (haven't tried that yet); im on BIS and i can receive work email fine

you can also find some helpful stuff on here: BlackBerry FAQ
BES Users FAQ
BIS FAQ

good luck and post back

Last edited by ricpac; 02-07-2008 at 08:10 AM..
Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
sturner

thank you for the quick response. I hope others will offer me some insight as well. We do not have a BES at my office. No one else has a Blackberry so there is really no need for us to have one. I don't want to have to turn the office upside down to have a Blackberry so I really need to make sure before I take the plunge. Not sure if it matters but we are running Microsoft Office Outlook 2007. I'm assuming the device will be compatible with this 2007 version? Can you also sync with your calendar and contacts on the BIS?

Again, I'd rather stick with the $30 data plan instead of a $45 data plan as long as I can do what I need to do with it. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

i stand corrected, BIS works with Microsoft Exchange Server; so go get the $30 BlackBerry data plan now!

read this BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)
Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
sturner

Thanks again for the information. That is indeed good news. Could you tell me if you had to install any software onto your computer at work (locally or on the network) in order for you to retrieve your email?

Also I'd like to know how steep the learning curve is for these things. I've never owned a smartphone or pda before so I'm coming in as a definite newbie with only general knowledge when it comes to computers. Sorry for all of the questions but I really am trying to make the right decision before moving forward.

As some background I've been researching these things to death and have considered everything from the Palm Treo 755P, the new Samsung SCH-I760, and the Motorola Q. I stumbled on a couple of reviews of the BB 8703e and found that it didn't have a camera or hardcore music capabilities and that it was really just a good cell phone and business organizer, which is exactly what I've been looking for.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturner
thank you for the quick response. I hope others will offer me some insight as well. We do not have a BES at my office. No one else has a Blackberry so there is really no need for us to have one. I don't want to have to turn the office upside down to have a Blackberry so I really need to make sure before I take the plunge. Not sure if it matters but we are running Microsoft Office Outlook 2007. I'm assuming the device will be compatible with this 2007 version? Can you also sync with your calendar and contacts on the BIS?

Again, I'd rather stick with the $30 data plan instead of a $45 data plan as long as I can do what I need to do with it. Thanks again.
Your company is not running a blackberry enterprise server, and I read you as saying you don't want to do it, either, at least not right now.

BIS is your only other option. Regarding email, see http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/M..._on_BlackBerry. The redirector is flakey, I understand; BIS email may be your better option, if your business email servers will allow BIS access.

You will sync your calendar, contacts, etc with outlook using desktop manager. Email will not be sync'd with the Outlook inbox, but rather new email is delivered to the blackberry automatically.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Quote:
Could you tell me if you had to install any software onto your computer at work (locally or on the network) in order for you to retrieve your email?
never had to install anything because i couldn't and they won't allow it even if i had to beg LOL
Quote:
Also I'd like to know how steep the learning curve is for these things.
24 hours is all it takes; just don't forget your coffee
Quote:
As some background I've been researching these things to death and have considered everything from the Palm Treo 755P, the new Samsung SCH-I760, and the Motorola Q.
BlackBerry is the way to go

Last edited by ricpac; 02-07-2008 at 08:53 AM..
Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
sturner

Thanks again for all of the help so far. I'm still confused but that's nothing new. Does any software need to be installed on my computer or on the server to get the BB to talk to my Exchange Server at work? I'm pretty sure I won't get them to buy into installing anything like this since I'm the only one using a BB.

Also, can you provide me with the steps to set up the device for email sync if I went with the BIS data plan?

I'm reading some of the reviews for the Palm Treo 755P and it seems like that has software built into it to syn right up with an Exchange Server right out of the box and I'm thinking that the BB can not.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Quote:
Does any software need to be installed on my computer or on the server to get the BB to talk to my Exchange Server at work?
No you don't need to install anything on your work PC