Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
hanham123

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default New Blackberry 8820 on Orange , Whats going on

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there

I just received a new blackberry on the orange UK network. I did not do much checking what the 8820 does, but the spec on the orange site said
pop3 email which is what I wanted. After a couple of hours fiddling about trying to work out how to setup a pop3 account, I worked out that I cannot just connect over wi-fi to my pop3 server and download /send emails , I either need to have a BES account or some type of internet account with blackberry themselve.

Have I got this right.

What I dont understand, is that on certain documentation I have read there is another option in the email setup wizard which allows just basic pop3 direct access.

Any ideas, is this a restriction that orange has put on the handset to get extra revenue ?

Thanks

Scott
Old 02-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
6502programmer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

No restrictions that I'm aware of. The BB device is meant to only communicate with BB servers (for the bundled apps), whether it be a BES (Enterprise) or BIS (Internet, aka persona). What happens is you configure an account on the BIS, set up that account to fetch mail from a POP/IMAP source, then the BIS will mediate communications between your handheld and your mail server.

Similarly, when you browse a web site (with the built-in browser), your handheld is communicating with the BES/BIS, which proxies the communication to the web site.

Assuming Orange UK, this link should work. You can register for a BIS account, then set up your mail account on the BIS. There is, at this time, no cost for setting up or using the BIS. It supports up to ten mail accounts, is tightly integrated with GMail and Yahoo, will do IMAP and POP3, as well as OWA. For more info, scan the boards and you'll find a wealth of information.
Closed Thread