Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
redline04black

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Angry Frustrated Newb!

Please Login to Remove!

I recently got a Blackberry 8830 World Edition for myself and the boss. We run a Commercial Auction and Liquidation Company. WEe are constantly out of the office and we where advised by our "Verizon Guy" that the blackberry was to be the solution to all of my problems. We are currently using Act 10.0 (latest version) to manage all our information and contacts and Outlook 2003 for our email. We have an IT guy that we use on contract but he seems to be as nieve about blackberrys as I am. It appears that unless you are running exchane not a &^%^$^^%$%&#$^ thing works correctly. Is there any way to sink contacts, calendar and reconcile email without spending a fourtune on MS Echange Server?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Install Desktop Manager on your PCs and sync. Email doesn't sync and it is tough to reconcile without a BES.

You might also look into a hosted BES service such as mailstreet or exchangemymail.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:29 AM   #3
crossbones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2525A4A3
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

An easy fix for the calender reconcile could be google sync, free and someone in the office could import your outlook calender to google, then sync it to the blackberry. Works really well on my 8310.

Have a look at mobile.google.com
Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
sturner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

For me all of these "work arounds" just aint worth it if your not on a BES. I've decided to go with Samsung's SCH-I760 because of it's Windows Mobile 6 OS and the fact that it syncs easily with Microsoft Outlook on an Exchange Server.

My opinion is that the BB is not really worth the time, money or effort unless your on the BES because you'll never be able to use it to it's full capability. I really wanted to go the BB route but can't tolerate all the necessary aftermarket downloads.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

have a good tim with the Samsung was a nightmare when I used it
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturner View Post
For me all of these "work arounds" just aint worth it if your not on a BES. I've decided to go with Samsung's SCH-I760 because of it's Windows Mobile 6 OS and the fact that it syncs easily with Microsoft Outlook on an Exchange Server.

My opinion is that the BB is not really worth the time, money or effort unless your on the BES because you'll never be able to use it to it's full capability. I really wanted to go the BB route but can't tolerate all the necessary aftermarket downloads.
Yippie for you, but the op said he does NOT want to spend money on msoft exchange server, so your point means nothing.

I invite you to spend more time looking around these forums for opinions on BIS. Lots of people use it, love it, couldn't do without. I have BES and love it, but there are other solutions that work well and are mainstream and solid enough that they aren't considered "work arounds."
Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
jonabyte
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: Telus

You do not need a bes. Since you do not have an exchange server, and you are using outlook, you must have a pop3 type account which can be used with bis. Heck if all you use outlook for is email, you can just use the device as an email client and not use outlook, unless you need to print or archive emails.
You can use the desktop software to sync your act information, and if you are truly out all the time, you don't even need to use act once it has been synced, just make sure you backup the device from time to time.
Closed Thread